Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think,..

I was riding home from work on the highway. A highway patrol car then passes me and got in my lane right infront of me. I was following the patrol car, then he suddenly whips off into the shoulder of the highway and pulls back behind me flipping the sirens on. I really thought what the fuck how could this guy be pulling me over?

I pull over, and he tells me I was following behind him at 88 miles per hour in a 65 mph zone. He didnt waste my time and let me go with no ticket, so I'm not bitching, but can a cop legally pull somebody over like this? If I get tickets for speeding because its dangerous, do police have the right to speed when they are not in pursuit or following a call that requires them to rush? In my mind it is just as unjust for them to drive dangerously if they dont have a reason to.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
It sounds like he was pacing you - from in front. Seems legit to me.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Krazy Hawaiian said:
yup, you never should have been keeping up with him if he was doing 88mph......
what gives him the right to run 88mph for no reason?

·
Registered
944 Posts
It was my understanding that police can't break the law on the highway without at least lights/sirens on.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
His "reason" was he was pacing you - Lawbreaker! :bitchslap

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
codenoid said:
what gives him the right to run 88mph for no reason?
He might have been estimating your speed. Count your chickens now, I guess. If there's a marked crusier near me, I usually give it three/four physical cars away from me.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tmkreutzer said:
His "reason" was he was pacing you - Lawbreaker! :bitchslap

Dude, come on and think.. He sped up to pass infront of me, then is watching my distance from his car in his rear view mirror while driving down the highway at 88mph?

If I was breaking the law he shouldn't have passed me, and logically should have pulled when he was behind and with me on the radar. Rather than try and harass me as I'm travelling behind him down the highway.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
Dude - he didn't know how fast you were going until he paced you.

Also, if you think about it, he was probably on his way home and didn't actually want to fool around with you and make a stop - which is probably why he didn't waste your time and write you a ticket. He was trying to give you a warning by saying, "Hey, I'm a cop - if you don't see me I'll get in front of you!" Once he got there, and you didn't slow down, what was he going to do, slam on the brakes?

When most people see a cop, they slow down... next time take the hint.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
He noticed you were speeding way over the limit and so he passed you and got in front of you in an attempt to be polite "hey I'm here, you should slow down" and since you didn't slow down he pulled you over. I've seen plenty of cops that will just flick their lights on and if you slow down they just move along on their merry way. His reason for speeding was that YOU were speeding and he was TRYING to be nice. He wasn't speeding for no reason.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I think the only time they can speed without the cherry's on is when they are late for work or in a hurry to get home.

·
Don't Mess With Texas
324 Posts
codenoid said:
In my mind it is just as unjust for them to drive dangerously if they dont have a reason to.
LEO posts are getting old......

Perhaps he was going to a call and got cancelled. -
At least they are trained and driving vehicles equipped for the speeds. More trained than the guy in the Navigator smoking a black and mild with 4 TV screens that passed me doing 105 on I-10 tonight........

FLORIDA ACCIDENT REPORTS BY COUNTY

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
tmkreutzer said:
Dude - he didn't know how fast you were going until he paced you.

Also, if you think about it, he was probably on his way home and didn't actually want to fool around with you and make a stop - which is probably why he didn't waste your time and write you a ticket. He was trying to give you a warning by saying, "Hey, I'm a cop - if you don't see me I'll get in front of you!" Once he got there, and you didn't slow down, what was he going to do, slam on the brakes?

When most people see a cop, they slow down... next time take the hint.

Nailed it there!

·
Registered
94 Posts
i was riding down to wendover from my place in utah its about a 140 mile ride.......i was half way there and iw as doing about 80 when a state trooper passed me going alot faster then me with no lights on....so i said fug it and followed him doing about 90 - 105 all the way to wendover lol it was pretty awesome

·
Registered
261 Posts
For the same reason they can run red lights just to get through instead of waiting with us "little people".. It's called abuse of authority and power.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
alaska cajun said:
I think the only time they can speed without the cherry's on is when they are late for work or in a hurry to get home.
....or making a donut run. :eek:nfloor :fiddy :beer

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Well dude, to be honest...what gave you thought of "pacing" a marked cop car in the first pace? That's the LAST thing i'd be doing. I did that once on my bike with a fellow bike cop and he even waved me for me to catch up.

My mom once got a ticket because a trap was setup and she didn't hit the brake lights when she saw the cop. Cop pulled her over and told her the only reason he was giving her the ticket is because he never saw her brake lights come one. I guess they were only out there as a deterent to slow people down.

Gotta be more careful next time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
He was pacing you and I would be happy that you did not get a ticket...I believe it would be about 180.00 with 4 points...

When you see a marked unit dont keep up. If he is a dick he still can write you and there is nothing that you can do about it. Show some respect and we usually show it back..

Yes he can speed up and see if you pace him, then he can write you a ticket. Does not seem fair but it is done.

Somtimes we get an in progress call, and zip through a red light, and as we go through the call is canceled. Then we turn everything off, and people think that we just went through for no reason.

Hard to judge when you dont know the circumstances.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I see there are some LEO's posting on here......soooo is it legal for you guys to speed or run reds with your lights off???

I've almost been hit by a cop running a red with no lights on at three in the morning so I'm a little curious.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts