Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new zzr 600 saturday after wrecking my other 08. My ankle is still in a cast but I was goin to try and ride today.. I trailored my bike home saturday.. anywho.. I took off this morning for about a 200 mile round trip to try and get back into the swing of things. I came to a lil town called vian and killed my bike for a trip in the local store.
When i came outside to leave my bike wouldn't turn over. the battery was dead.. I tested the battery and I found out later it was bad . I tried to push start the bike and had no luck.. the fellow biker that helped me out came up as i was trying to push start the bike.. He told me that you can't push start the newer bikes.. IS THIS TRUE ? If not for him having a shop so close it could have been a real problem.. So i'm wondering for future problems, Can the bike be push started when the battery is dead? I don't know for sure because with the cast i couldn't do a very good job of pushing the bike to speed and getting on.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well at first I was going to say sure, I have done it many times, just get it moving, and pop the clutch. But the newer bikes..hmm...might have something to do with electronic fuel injection. Someone else should have better incite than myself.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Never had to push start my ZZR before. I would guess it would crank right up. It being a non-EFI bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
2nd gear man. amazing how little it has to be going in 2nd to start. just another reason to love my "old" zx6J .... = )
i was in 2nd gear when i tried but with the cast i guess i didn't get it goin fast enough.. only tried twice before my help came along..
but has anyone actually started it that way or are we all guessing ?

ya rocket... i'm guessing he was talking about EFI bikes.. i just wanted some confirmation..

i guess if there is no answer on here i will wait till i get the cast off to find out....but it would be a good thing to know...

·
Registered
470 Posts
i definitely agree with the 2nd gear thing. ive never had to do mine but thats what works great for cars. if you were puttin it in 1st then thats you problem. i find it funny how he tells you this and he just happens to have a shop near by...........? Hhhmmmmmm

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i definitely agree with the 2nd gear thing. ive never had to do mine but thats what works great for cars. if you were puttin it in 1st then thats you problem. i find it funny how he tells you this and he just happens to have a shop near by...........? Hhhmmmmmm
not like that bro... it was just a jump off the battery charger.. didn't charge me a dime.. in fact he wouldn't even take the 20$ offered to him.. the guy was straight up nice..

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've push started my ZZR successfully a few times. Enough speed and popping it into 2nd gear is all it took. I ran next to the bike to get it up to speed cause I didn't have help.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Never had to do this before - how would I do it?

I'm thinking this:

Ignition on

Bike in 2nd gear, clutch in

get up to some speed and pop the clutch?

Pull in clutch, hop on and ride...

On those Red Bull 125s Jay and I saw at MotoGP they could grab the rear wheel and spin them to start the bike due to the small displacement, and they were 2 stroke...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've push started my ZZR successfully a few times. Enough speed and popping it into 2nd gear is all it took. I ran next to the bike to get it up to speed cause I didn't have help.
THANKS!!!! thats the answer i have been waiting for... and for rayzzr.. i'm not a dumbass i just have one good leg right now.wouldn't have been in question but the guy that helped me must have thought the zzr was EFI...

the fact is that it was level ground in all directions and i have one good leg right now and in the two times i got to try i was in 2nd gear and the bike did turn over but i guess not fast enough to start.

anyways.. thanks for the replies.. it's good to know..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Please forgive my stupidity here but....the zzr does not have EFI (Electonic Fuel Injection) agreed

However, the zzr does have electonic ignition so exactly how does the fuel ignite if the battery is dead and there is no spark. He did report he bike "would not turn over" so does this mean the starter would not turn or the bike would simply not ignite?

I guess I just don't understand how an electronic ignition can be push started. I guess if you had just enough battery power and you held the starter button to engage the start circuit and released the clutch at just the right rpm it could work but I think until I go try tommorow Im just not sure

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
I pushed started my 03 R6 (FI) before but I dont think the bat was compleately dead. since the headlights was on and it still clicked.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please forgive my stupidity here but....the zzr does not have EFI (Electonic Fuel Injection) agreed

However, the zzr does have electonic ignition so exactly how does the fuel ignite if the battery is dead and there is no spark. He did report he bike "would not turn over" so does this mean the starter would not turn or the bike would simply not ignite?

I guess I just don't understand how an electronic ignition can be push started. I guess if you had just enough battery power and you held the starter button to engage the start circuit and released the clutch at just the right rpm it could work but I think until I go try tommorow Im just not sure
soooo.... someone go outside right now and unhook the bat and try it... he he
i will in two weeks when my cast is off..:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
577 Posts
THANKS!!!! thats the answer i have been waiting for... and for rayzzr.. i'm not a dumbass i just have one good leg right now.wouldn't have been in question but the guy that helped me must have thought the zzr was EFI...

the fact is that it was level ground in all directions and i have one good leg right now and in the two times i got to try i was in 2nd gear and the bike did turn over but i guess not fast enough to start.

but did the battery have any charge in it when they pushed it,,, i know when they are dead my katana won't start and when the battery was extremely low it would run funny,,,

but i don't know about the ZZR,,,

did the one push starting they're bike haave a charged battery

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
but did the battery have any charge in it when they pushed it,,, i know when they are dead my katana won't start and when the battery was extremely low it would run funny,,,

but i don't know about the ZZR,,,

did the one push starting they're bike haave a charged battery
the bat was dead.. not even my oil light would come on.. it had 0 charge.. but once i started it .. it ran fine all the way home.. Then i put the bat from my other bike in it and presto.. i will get a new one tomorrow..

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Reread my post - I was asking if that is how to do it. Not poking at you, promise!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tried for like an hour in all gears 1-4 with not a lick, the battery was completely dead. I left it in the locked with parking light spot overnight. The stealership told me the fuel pump was electric so if it was completely dead it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
726 Posts
YES......... you can start a ZZR or ZX6R from a push start. 2nd gear works the best in my experience. With a completely dead battery in this bike, it will start if done correctly and all buttons and switches are in the correct position.

Carry on!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts