Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It actually got up to 65 here in the northeast yesterday! Popped the battery back in, but for some reason didn't remember to tighten down the -negative terminal.
The bike ran perfectly to work.
Upon leaving, the bike hesitated around 3-5k rpm,, and would not hold a consistent throttle input. It would surge slightly.
It also died on me once.
The problem seemed to go mostly away, and after tightening down the terminal i didn't get a chance to take it for a ride again.

Information:
-Tested the voltage across the battery (13.4-14.5V),,RR should be ok. The voltage dipped to 12.5V when the fan came on. Seems ok.
-Gas had been in there for 8 wks with no stabilzer (maybe a shot of water settled?)
-Air filter is not clogged
-Oil level ok

Could a loose terminal cause surging of any kind? Anyone ever had this problem? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I'd say it's VERY possible. If the connection to the battery is lost, the voltage is not constant and at the level it needs to be, it will definitely affect the way the bike performs.

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok,,sounds good. I think i'll just not sweat it till the spring. Hit the gas with some dry gas, and call it a day.

Hopefully, i found the problem and it doesn't resurface in 3 months! :)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
It will absolutely do everything you described. I've had it happen on bikes as well as cars.

Most recently, i could not keep my truck running at idle for some reason. It had worked fine the day before. BUT- i had disconnected the battery cables because i left the hood up for a long time and didn't want it to die.

Well, the terminal was SO corroded that when i put it back on, it would not make contact anymore. A new terminal and all the symptoms went away.

And FYI, it would die whenever i put ANY electrical draw on the system. Even turning on the interior lights made the engine stall.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I had this exact same thing happen to me on my old 00 GSXR 750. Every once in awhile the bike would chug and stall on me. Finally in the middle of nowhere the bike died on me. Did a little investigating and found the negative loose. I tightened the negative and never had another problem with it.

·
Helping you go faster
355 Posts
You do know that electricity flows from - to +??? A good ground is always key along with a well charged battery.
Well, actually it flows from positive to negative, but I know where you were going :beer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts