Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here made their own Camcorder Mount? I need something that will peek over my front windscreen and needs to mount via the windscreen brace.... any ideas?

I'd also like to have a quick release on it and have a mount for the rear of my bike as well. It's a '99 ZX-6R.

Pics would be nice for some ideas.

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
not familiar with the exact design of the brace but will it be strong enough? most camera mounts attach to your fuel tank filler cap. circle brace attached using the 8 hex nuts around the filler door. may not be a good visual - search around

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
eh... I used a tank bag and turned it around backwards... worked perfectly. Then, for reverse, I used my brothers tail bag on backwards and shot behind (very loud from being next to the exhaust). Both worked like a charm.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I tried it with the tank bag and it wasn't too bad. I'd like something a little more versatile in terms of being able to just unmount it and take it with me (ie. into a mall, etc...). I'm working on a makeshift mount right now and will post pics once I get it perfected. The only issue I'm having right now is that it bounces around like crazy - I'm using a flat peice of 1/8" metal that's pre-drilled with holes throughout and got them attached to existing bolts on the back of my bike. Right now it's too high so it tends to bounce around alot. I'm gonna try to shorten it tonight and see if that helps.

I also see mounts out there that are suction cup mounted... I'm not about to trust a thousand dollar camera with 3 little suction cups.

·
Registered
731 Posts
this is what I do. It doesn't look very good, but its actualy very cheep and it holds to the bike very good if done corectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Zyankaly said:
this is what I do. It doesn't look very good, but its actualy very cheep and it holds to the bike very good if done corectly.

Cheap and ghetto are two different things. Thats just ghetto. Go to ebay they sell tank mount for under 50USD.

Doesn't that hurt your paint? Or leave a shitty residue?

·
Registered
384 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
Cheap and ghetto are two different things.

Doesn't that hurt your paint? Or leave a shitty residue?
Probably both. Can you imagine doing that everytime. What if you wanted to change tapes? lol

·
Registered
731 Posts
if i want to change the tape i'm f*cked :lol

but it doesn't hurt my paint at all (plastic tank ;) ) and it doesn't leave a "shitty residue".

I know, I know... there are cheap camera mounts but 50 is still a bit too mutch for me at the time, I got so many other things I need to do first with that OLD bike.

I need to put a tape in before (90min) that is more than enough cos I don't record the boring parts anyway... I just turn the cam on before I reach the twistis (or what ever I wanted to record).
Battery can be changed however.

The cam doesn't move one mm (if done correct)... first time I did that I tryed to tape a 1/4 mile, watching it later I noticed some movement of the cam (it moved a bit back at one moment) but then I MASTERED the method ;) and I once even got in a realy hard bump hole on the rode... watching it later the cam didn't move one mm.... ;)

So, it shure depends... if u wana tape yourself riding around the local mountain roads or anything for your self and some friends thats a way I would go with, if u wana do it GR style... well, then thats NOT the way to go with.

(oh... and "doing that everytime" isn't that bad... it takes 5 min...)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think this is the Suction Mount style that was previously criticized. However I have talk to a few people that have one of these exact models and they say that they have been up around 150mph with it on and the camera is still there when they are done. I too have been somewhat leary from purchasing this holder though. This model happens to be made by Lockhart Phillips.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
i wouldnt go with the suction cup ones....they SUCK....i used one on my 250 and it bounced everywhere....even with loads of duct tape on it. Im thinking of getting one from here...

http://www.sportbikecam.com/

but the only prob is with tank mounts is when ure doing high speed u cant crouch down as far and u catch hell with the wind...lol

just my $0.02

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow that place looks like they have a solid unit. After viewing the clips, it seems to be very stable and little wind noise, at least behind the windscreen. So far that one takes the cake as far as I'm concerned for best looking, and most out of your way. Thanks for the link, I will probably end up buying one of those.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
go with sportbikecam.com stuff. That's what I have too and it is a great piece of aluminum. A tad pricey at $100, but other than having to cut down the mounting bolts a little to get a good tight flush fit, it was a 5 minute procedure and I've had not a lick of issues with it. Just be sure to have a new windscreen, mine is ugly and at night it makes big halos around lights.
No matter what mount you choose- put a dummy cord on the camera just in case!!!! Better it flops around banging into your fairing until you can stop than walking back up the road to pick up the shattered remains of a camera that fell off, hit the street, then got run over a few times by cagers.

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
Kensher said:
The funny this is i actually thought about using tape and some foan to make my own camera mount
I dont think foam would be to good and tape wouldnt be good on your paint

1 - 20 of 21 Posts