Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay who's got one? I just bought a 50oz one at popular today and went for an hour ride. It worked great, water was nice and cold after the first few sips. I think it's necessary if you're gonna go for a long ride when it's 100+ degrees outside.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
If i had one id drink it dry in a few min. Kinda like holding a glass of water near your mouth, Its there so your gonna drink it. Id have to have a bag to piss in if i drank that much too. Id be pissin like a race horse!!

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
The group i used to ride with a few of them carried it while hitting the twisties...great idea and it didn't seem to interfere. Had I not moved I was going to get one.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Those also work great for hiking!
Did you guys know they were developed for the military?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have one, love it bought mine from Walmart for 25 buks

never leave home without it... gets hot wearing leather on a 95 day...

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
i use mine when it gets over 90-95. it has been a life saver not to mention not having to stop all the time to get something to drink.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I have three. Two from the military. I use mine on long rides or really hot, dusty days. But I usually just stop and stretch for a few minutes at a gas station where I can buy a drink anyway.
They're great on bike nights when it seems like the minute you buy a bottle of Dew at the gas station everyone wants to fire up the bikes and leave.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I love mine!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
A few ppl that I knew when I lived in Az thought they were great. I never tried one but living in Az, I can see why you'd need one. Here in Ky, not much reason for um

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jay-D! said:
Did you guys know they were developed for the military?
No they weren't, they were around for Mountain Biking years before the military ever started using them. In the early to mid 90's we still deployed with canteens and I always brought my camelbak that I used for mountain biking. If you prove it was designed for the military then I stand corrected, but until then I say B/S

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
used one, when going cross country.

i was using 1 for mt biking , in the early early 90's, when did the military pick them up?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Camelbacks were developed by a long-distance bicycle road rider from north Texas almost 15 years ago because he could not carry enough water with him when he rode.
I have met him personally. What a good idea.

The military picked up on this good idea and had him develope their version long after that. HYDRATE OR DIE!! was the original sales logo.

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
the guy that designed them used IV bags as the first bladders. he wanted a more hands free drinking "system."

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had one in the early 90's when I rode the 'Hotter than Hell' in Witchita Falls. I have used it when riding the RC51. It both, kept me hydrated and cooled me off. It got really nasty inside after I moved and I need to get another one this summer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
KatanaMike said:
HYDRATE OR DIE!! was the original sales logo.
I think it still is. What a great line!!!

I haven't used mine on the bike yet, but they're great after a long night of drinking. Just have one filled and waiting by the bed so when you wake up with cotton mouth from hell you just reach up and drink. Saved my ass more than a few times!

·
Registered
138 Posts
kdk1899 said:
If i had one id drink it dry in a few min. Kinda like holding a glass of water near your mouth, Its there so your gonna drink it. Id have to have a bag to piss in if i drank that much too. Id be pissin like a race horse!!
That's the whole point. If the water is right there, you're gonna drink it. Usually just a few sips at a time, which is much better for you than quickly chugging a soda at a gas station or rest stop.

Getting rid of that fluid shouldn't be a problem. Most sportbikes require refueling every 2-3 hours anyway, so just make sure you use the john when you fill up with gas.

You're much better off drinking and pissing a lot than not drinking and becoming dangerously dehydrated.

I use the Platypus hydration pack from my backpack when on long rides. I put the Platypus in my tankbag - makes for easy access yet takes the weight of the water off of your back. They really are lifesavers.

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
if you're camelbak gets really nasty, just pour some bleach in it and let it set for a few hours. rinse it out real good and that's usually all it takes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
baking soda also works fairly well to from what i've heard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Snobound

I use mine for snowboarding. Haven't tried it yet for riding. I usually just carry a bottle on short rides. For longer rides, I see the usefulness instead of pulling over when you get thirsty and wasting time to get a drink.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts