Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do 900rr's have cam chain problems?? i'm hearing ticking type noises starting at around 4k rpm. most noticeable between 4-5rpm. sounds perfect at idle though. any help.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just got an 02 cbr 600 f4i and with just over 6000 miles and the tensioner is rattling. i had a buddy with a 01 f4i and it started makin noise around 8000 miles. he told me he heard there only good for about 6000 miles or so, i dont know how true that is but it seems to be, i had a 98 zx6r ninja and it went bad about 9000 miles, but i didnt know what it was and i kept running it, it stetched the chain and ended up costing me alomst 500 $ to have fixed. tensioners are only around 80 $ and are not that hard to put in once you remove the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only down side to hondas that I've found is the cct's (cam-chain tensioners). The stock oil pressure driven tensioners seem to start going "weak" around 3-4k on them causing you to have a tick like you're hearing in the lower rpms, most noticable on start up and idle though. It should last for 10-15k though before it needs replaced. A stock on will run you about 60-80 bills and I think a manual tensioner from ape will run about 65. Btw, with you having a tick higher up it might not hurt to have your valve clearances checked while you're at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts