Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wrote a little opinion piece for this site about people who forsake safety in the name of fashion or hubris. I just want to get reasons why?

Is there anyone on this site that fits the description of a person who will wear a leather jacket and no other safety gear while riding?

Is there anyone on here who believes a Liter bike is a good learner?

Is there anyone on here who keeps their helmet in their helmet lock while riding?

Now's you chance to convince me you're right.

Not trying to flame you here, just trying to figure out the mindset.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sounds to me like you're trying to convince them that you're right and they're wrong...

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BrownRob said:
Sounds to me like you're trying to convince them that you're right and they're wrong...
I'm asking for responses why. How is that trying to convince anyone? The article is my opinion. You can take it any way you want.

Last time I checked, legally you are allowed to disagree with me.

·
Registered
813 Posts
So if someone was convincing enough, will you ride without gear, with your helmet locked up, in shorts and flip flops and start on a liter bike? Or have you already formed an opinion on what is a safe rider and your purpose is to call out others that don't share your point of view?

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BrownRob said:
So if someone was convincing enough, will you ride without gear, with your helmet locked up, in shorts and flip flops and start on a liter bike? Or have you already formed an opinion on what is a safe rider and your purpose is to call out others that don't share your point of view?
I asked for the reasoning behind it. That's all. I want to learn why people make these decisions.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Number one, stop fishing for a response. If we are meatheads, why are you so keen to argue with us. Let us go along our merry meathead way. Take a chill pill, a walk on the wild side, get over it, and SO dont go there. Homes.

Number Two, i keep all my gold chains and fancy SHIAT wrapped in my helmet on the back, i want to keep it protected because its the important shit. However, I also want to have it on hand when i pull up in case i see some chicks i want to insult, hence make them want to sleep with me, because im totally badass.

Three. If you cant learn on a litre bike, you're a total pussy. I mean seriously who cant handle a bit of horsepower? It all comes down to guts, and let me tell you, pulling a "ton" on a long straight road takes some serious balls. How big are yours? Bet they're smaller than mine. I mean, ive proved mine are big just by owning this fast bike. Plus with 9 out of 10 liter bike starters crashing in the first year, that cuts out the competition for serious POSING down at the locals McDonalds (see 2). Thats right MCDONALDS. Man, you wish you were this hardcore.

Four. Leather jackets are for pulling the chicks man. (see 2) God, go to the MOVIES once in a while y'know, they show how seriously TURNED ON women get from seing motorbike jousts involving bright colours, noise, and shiny things. From there, its a logical progression.....You need a leather jacket to go with your bike to give you the racer look. Who cares if you cant go fast, as long as you LOOK like you can go fast.

In summary, stop being such a wuss. And remember, meatheads feel no pain.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
EDIT: ^^ :lol nice!

i sometimes ride with only a helmet. do you want to debate that?

usually only across town, not when i'm out to ride for sport.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
They do it because it's thier choice, and many of them have the "it won't happen to me" attitude. Most of them don't really believe the risks, or they value looking cool above keeping thier bodies in good condition. Some think that they're better riders than it takes to get hurt, or that the big incidents won't happen just while they're commuting. Some just can't justify the cost of gear or the added time or slight discomfort of wearing it.

It's Darwin at work, but the problem is that we'll artificially subvert Darwin by insuring them, taking care of thier injuries and paying/feeding them when they can't work... And then we'll use the statistics to raise the rates of the people who believe in gear/training/skills, and never correct the faults in the system..

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
There are times I don't wear my leather jacket or a helmet. I wear jeans at all times even off the bike. I always have boots on. and almost always have gloves on.

The reason I don't wear a jacket or helmet in town are because I have the right not to. I don't have to be like ever one else or I can be like every one else. The only reason I need is there is no helmet law in Pa now. The jacket well there are many reasons not to wear it in town. 1 being it's to damn hot for leather when you can not go over 25mph. 2 if I have a leather jacket on and I am hot then I am being destacted. Plus I live in a town where almost every person owns a Harley so the bike to cars number down here is almost even in the sumer.

I always wear it on highways or twisties or any time I am going out of town.

I almost forgot I have went down on bikes before when I waas younger and I don't feel it can not happen to me. I will deal with that when/if the time comes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ok.. fine, I'll play your game:

Why not to wear a helmet:
• It's the "cool" factor (people would look at me and say "wow! He's not wearing a helmet! He must be a really good rider or he must be CRAAAAZYY!!)
• It's hard to pick up chicks when they can't see your face
• I'm only going 35 MPH around town..
• I'm only going 5 miles to my work
• The helmet restricts my peripheral vision
• The helmet makes it hard to hear

Why I have a helmet locked up
• In case I pick up a cute chick who wants a ride.. you know - to show her I'm safe
• In case it rains…

Why I only wear a leather jacket
• Once again, they make me look cool
• It's a little cold in the morning
• The jacket matches my bike and it says "Susuki" on the back

Why a liter bike is ok to start on
• Friends told me I'd be bored with a 600 in 3 months
• My wife is 400 pounds and I'm 300.. I don't think a 600 could hold us
• Got a deal I just couldn't refuse
• Coolness factor.. people will point and say "wow.. that's a biggest bike in the market.. he must be really good"

And yes, I wear my gear all the time.. that's my choice to be as safe as I THINK I need to be.. if I wanted to be any safer, I'd sell my bike.. and no my wife is not 400 pounds and I'm not 300.. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm guilty of not wearing a jacket on a really hot day. Always wear helmet, jeans, boots and gloves though. I am a deal with it when it happens person, even though it is not the smartest/best way to be. Not that it makes any difference, but when I get my 600, I plan to wear a jacket all the time. Figured I could wear nothing underneath to make me feel better. :)

Just my story, and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kaiser Soze said:
Number one, stop fishing for a response. If we are meatheads, why are you so keen to argue with us. Let us go along our merry meathead way. Take a chill pill, a walk on the wild side, get over it, and SO dont go there. Homes.
Who's arguing? Sounds like that would be you.

Kaiser Soze said:
Number Two, i keep all my gold chains and fancy SHIAT wrapped in my helmet on the back, i want to keep it protected because its the important shit. However, I also want to have it on hand when i pull up in case i see some chicks i want to insult, hence make them want to sleep with me, because im totally badass.
I'm very happy for your good fortune. Congratulations on your badass-ness. I will remember to be suitably intimidated by your manliness and total lack of grammatical ability.

Kaiser Soze said:
Three. If you cant learn on a litre bike, you're a total pussy. I mean seriously who cant handle a bit of horsepower? It all comes down to guts, and let me tell you, pulling a "ton" on a long straight road takes some serious balls. How big are yours? Bet they're smaller than mine. I mean, ive proved mine are big just by owning this fast bike. Plus with 9 out of 10 liter bike starters crashing in the first year, that cuts out the competition for serious POSING down at the locals McDonalds (see 2). Thats right MCDONALDS. Man, you wish you were this hardcore.
Again, the sheer girthiness of your testicles is an amazing thing. Seeing as that they encompass your entire being, this has got to be some sort of Guiness record.

Kaiser Soze said:
Four. Leather jackets are for pulling the chicks man. (see 2) God, go to the MOVIES once in a while y'know, they show how seriously TURNED ON women get from seing motorbike jousts involving bright colours, noise, and shiny things. From there, its a logical progression.....You need a leather jacket to go with your bike to give you the racer look. Who cares if you cant go fast, as long as you LOOK like you can go fast.
Again, I am in awe of your ability with the ladies. It's probably only surpassed by a few NBA players and Ron Jeremy.

Kaiser Soze said:
In summary, stop being such a wuss. And remember, meatheads feel no pain.
Nor are they funny.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mucho Gonzales said:
EDIT: ^^ :lol nice!

i sometimes ride with only a helmet. do you want to debate that?

usually only across town, not when i'm out to ride for sport.
Did I bring up the no helmet wearing? Nope, only the riding around with it in the helmet lock. If you're not going to wear it, that's your choice. I can't help it if you feel your head would survive an impact better without it or that an accident wouldn't happen to you.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dennisred69 said:
There are times I don't wear my leather jacket or a helmet. I wear jeans at all times even off the bike. I always have boots on. and almost always have gloves on.
My point is why wear 1/4 of the gear. Why not just all or none?

dennisred69 said:
The reason I don't wear a jacket or helmet in town are because I have the right not to. I don't have to be like ever one else or I can be like every one else. The only reason I need is there is no helmet law in Pa now. The jacket well there are many reasons not to wear it in town. 1 being it's to damn hot for leather when you can not go over 25mph. 2 if I have a leather jacket on and I am hot then I am being destacted. Plus I live in a town where almost every person owns a Harley so the bike to cars number down here is almost even in the sumer.
Again, then why wear any of it? Ever.

dennisred69 said:
I always wear it on highways or twisties or any time I am going out of town.
Statistically, you are more likely to suffer an accident in town.

dennisred69 said:
I almost forgot I have went down on bikes before when I waas younger and I don't feel it can not happen to me. I will deal with that when/if the time comes.
That's your choice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dude, I thought you just wanted to hear our reasons, not flame every comment. Jeeeez.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BrownRob said:
Ok.. fine, I'll play your game:
What game?

BrownRob said:
Why not to wear a helmet:
• It's the "cool" factor (people would look at me and say "wow! He's not wearing a helmet! He must be a really good rider or he must be CRAAAAZYY!!)
• It's hard to pick up chicks when they can't see your face
• I'm only going 35 MPH around town..
• I'm only going 5 miles to my work
• The helmet restricts my peripheral vision
• The helmet makes it hard to hear
ok

BrownRob said:
Why I have a helmet locked up
• In case I pick up a cute chick who wants a ride.. you know - to show her I'm safe
• In case it rains…
Ok

BrownRob said:
Why I only wear a leather jacket
• Once again, they make me look cool
• It's a little cold in the morning
• The jacket matches my bike and it says "Susuki" on the back
ok

BrownRob said:
Why a liter bike is ok to start on
• Friends told me I'd be bored with a 600 in 3 months
• My wife is 400 pounds and I'm 300.. I don't think a 600 could hold us
• Got a deal I just couldn't refuse
• Coolness factor.. people will point and say "wow.. that's a biggest bike in the market.. he must be really good"
ok

BrownRob said:
And yes, I wear my gear all the time.. that's my choice to be as safe as I THINK I need to be.. if I wanted to be any safer, I'd sell my bike.. and no my wife is not 400 pounds and I'm not 300.. :)
Sorry to hear that. I'm always excited to meet a chubby chaser.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
The reason for the 1/4 gear. I always wear jeans even if it's 110* out weather I'm on the bike or not. I don't wear shorts. I wear my gear on fast rides or long rides because I like to I don't like wind in my face at 90mph. And the leather jacket goes on because like I mentioned earlier I can get some air to move through it when I am going faster than 25mph.

I like how you pick what you want to quote and not the answeres in the quote.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts