Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the question that was posed by a friend. He said that let's say you go by a cop near your house and for some reason there is a lot of traffic and he can't pull out right away. You are speeding and know he is comming after you. So you wip up the garage and pull in closing the door. Now the question is he can still give you a ticket or not? I think he could, but my friend says he would have to prove it was you.

So what do you guys think, or for the officers on here what is true?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Im no officer, but im almost positive that you would get a ticket. All he has to do is say that he saw you pull in there and that is his proof.

O yea, I was going to visit my mom one day and I had parked in her driveway. About the time i got to the front door and cop pulled behind my car with his lights on. Got off with a warning, but he easily could have given me a ticket.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
what if you dont answer the front door when he's knocking to give you the ticket and to verify that plate numbers on the bike???

·
Registered
278 Posts
Colch636 said:
If he sees you go inside and you don't answer the door he'll mail you the ticket.
Yep. He could do a search by address.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I remember once my friends and I ditched school (back in highschool) and we went to the dairy mart to get drinks, cops saw us and chased us back to his house. We got in first and closed all the blinds and doors. They banged the doors and told us to come out saying they saw us but we didn't make a move. Just waited for them to leave and that was that.

How would he know who to address the ticket to? Do a search but did he witness who was riding assuming a helmet is on? Exactly what bike model? Exact plate numbers? and can he prove it?

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
If he sees you park in the garage and he can read the tag number he can write the ticket and leave it on the door if he wants to. If he cross reference the address with the 911 phone system he can get the home owner's name and cross reference that with the DMV records and try to find the registered owner's information. If all else fails he can get a search warrant for the residence, this an extreme for a speeding violation but he can do it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
O yea. I once got an asshat cop pull his gun on me after I pulled into my cousins driveway and stepped out of the car. Cop said I had a broken tailight but that was an excuse because we were going in opposite directions before he did a U-turn.

·
Registered
278 Posts
lilxboi said:
How would he know who to address the ticket to? Do a search but did he witness who was riding assuming a helmet is on? Exactly what bike model? Exact plate numbers? and can he prove it?
If your the only rider in the house, its an easy ticket for them....

I wonder if cops have registration/ownership records in their comps?

If so they could just match up the colour of the bike to owner...

I dunno....somebody dispatch 737

·
20,852 Posts
lilxboi said:
O yea. I once got an asshat cop pull his gun on me after I pulled into my cousins driveway and stepped out of the car. Cop said I had a broken tailight but that was an excuse because we were going in opposite directions before he did a U-turn.

Maybe rearview mirror or side mirrors?

·
20,852 Posts
Fila_996 said:
If your the only rider in the house, its an easy ticket for them....

I wonder if cops have registration/ownership records in their comps?

If so they could just match up the colour of the bike to owner...

I dunno....somebody dispatch 737

Hell they make it that far and all it is is a speeding violation I will just knock on the door, if no answer will leave a note "sorry I missed you, slow down and have a nice day" :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
912 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
If he sees you park in the garage and he can read the tag number he can write the ticket and leave it on the door if he wants to. If he cross reference the address with the 911 phone system he can get the home owner's name and cross reference that with the DMV records and try to find the registered owner's information. If all else fails he can get a search warrant for the residence, this an extreme for a speeding violation but he can do it.
I was thinking he could use the attempted evasion as 'probable cause' which would authorize him to bust down the door, wouldn't it? Granted that's a little extreme for speeding, but in the eyes of the police if you evade or attempt to evade you are more than likely guilty of something much b*****...

·
20,852 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
I was thinking he could use the attempted evasion as 'probable cause' which would authorize him to bust down the door, wouldn't it? Granted that's a little extreme for speeding, but in the eyes of the police if you evade or attempt to evade you are more than likely guilty of something much b*****...

Well it gets into a gray area there. Too much problems with violation of the 4th ammendment against illegal search. If the officer is that hard core for a ticket he has some issues. If he wanted to slap the rider with the evasion (which is a felony in most places) he has to be able to prove the rider knew he was attempting to stop him and he fled to avoid the cop. But still his best bet would be to get a search warrant, if not and the cop busts the door in would probably get sued for civil rights violation.

·
Registered
376 Posts
OFFICER737 said:

How is that possible since he would have no way of identifying the rider? I always though once the vehicle was out of sight unless the person admitted to the infraction they couldnt really do much. Like if i lend my bike to a friend and they run and dont get caught, they cant give me the ticket if they cant prove I was driving at the time right?

·
Registered
447 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
Hell they make it that far and all it is is a speeding violation I will just knock on the door, if no answer will leave a note "sorry I missed you, slow down and have a nice day" :eek:nfloor
Wished there were more like you in SoCal. Never got a warning for the two tickets I got, both from bike cops.

First time I merged into middle turn lane to make a left into the Washington Mutual to get lunch money (on my way to school) when I get pulled over and she says I did it to cut traffic and make a left at the light. I forget the law but is it something like I can merge to make a left within 200ft? If it was I still shouldn't have gotten a ticket.

Second time I sped up from 70, speed of traffic at the time, to swith lanes in front of a car who wouldn't let me cut in and make my exit.

First one I took traffic school, didn't know how to fight it at the time and was busy with school, and second time I tried trial by declaration but still found guilty.

·
20,852 Posts
BluFireF4 said:
How is that possible since he would have no way of identifying the rider? I always though once the vehicle was out of sight unless the person admitted to the infraction they couldnt really do much. Like if i lend my bike to a friend and they run and dont get caught, they cant give me the ticket if they cant prove I was driving at the time right?

Technically they can give the registered owner a ticket. Whether you are on the bike or in the vehicle or not at the time of the infraction the owner is still responsible for any and all incidents that may occur unless you loan your car to a buddy and he gets stopped for speeding and gets a ticket right then. If they run in your vehicle or they park illegaly or something like that the ticket and or arrest warrant can be issued against the registered owner.

·
20,852 Posts
lilxboi said:
Wished there were more like you in SoCal. Never got a warning for the two tickets I got, both from bike cops.

First time I merged into middle turn lane to make a left into the Washington Mutual to get lunch money (on my way to school) when I get pulled over and she says I did it to cut traffic and make a left at the light. I forget the law but is it something like I can merge to make a left within 200ft? If it was I still shouldn't have gotten a ticket.

Second time I sped up from 70, speed of traffic at the time, to swith lanes in front of a car who wouldn't let me cut in and make my exit.

First one I took traffic school, didn't know how to fight it at the time and was busy with school, and second time I tried trial by declaration but still found guilty.

When fighting a ticket if you don't have concrete proof against the officer you are pretty much screwed. I always try and get people to understand if they don't have concrete proof then try and get traffic school it stays off their license.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's not evasion if he wasn't behind you with his lights on. Just because he is pulling out doesn't mean it's evasion. I am referring to slower speeds such as 15mph over. Not doing 100+. Then I'm sure they might come with a warrent.

Okay so the registared owner gets the ticket. That is what I thought.

What if it's too far and requires a licence suspension.
So who gets their licence suspended, the registard owner correct?

Here's another senerio. Let's say you pull into someone else's grage that is up and close it, you wait there until he leaves, back out and drive away. Might sound like it's not possible, but know person that did just that.

·
20,852 Posts
Almighty Jason said:
It's not evasion if he wasn't behind you with his lights on. Just because he is pulling out doesn't mean it's evasion. I am referring to slower speeds such as 15mph over. Not doing 100+. Then I'm sure they might come with a warrent.

Okay so the registared owner gets the ticket. That is what I thought.

What if it's too far and requires a licence suspension.
So who gets their licence suspended, the registard owner correct?

Here's another senerio. Let's say you pull into someone else's grage that is up and close it, you wait there until he leaves, back out and drive away. Might sound like it's not possible, but know person that did just that.

:eek:nfloor I actually did that in my younger days!! If they do catch you like that they may actually charge you aggravated burglary of a residence. But if they don't catch you after a few mins. they normally go on about their business and try to catch someone else. And whatever they had planned to do the rider happens to the registered owner.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts