Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, i saw that some riders here have like over 30k miles on their fizzers. would you kindly answer the following questions?

did you buy new or used?
if bought new, did you do "hard" break in? or babied it for the first 600 miles?
if bought used, how many miles did you get it at? also do you know how it was broken in?
what's your riding style?
what's your approx. mpg?
what oil did you use and what weight?
how often do you change oil?
what's your local weather like? snow or no snow, humidity, etc...

thanks. im trying to figure out what makes the fizzer running like tanks. :cheers

·
Bike/Bass Master
779 Posts
I only have 17,000 miles on my '06. Most people consider that "High Mileage". I'd like to answer your questions.
Bought-New
Break in-Medium
Riding Style-Easy commuter/Weekend Warrior
MPG-48
Oil-Amsoil/10w40
Oil changed per schedule by self
Weather-Hot and humid
Ride in rain sometimes. Park outside w/cover during the work week. Garaged at night and weekends.
Still in mint condition. I wash twice a month. (the bike)

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi, i saw that some riders here have like over 30k miles on their fizzers. would you kindly answer the following questions?

did you buy new or used?
if bought new, did you do "hard" break in? or babied it for the first 600 miles?
if bought used, how many miles did you get it at? also do you know how it was broken in?
what's your approx. mpg?

thanks. im trying to figure out what makes the fizzer running like tanks. :cheers
Bought: used (2005 bought in 2006)
Miles then: 12,000
Miles now: 32,000
Broken in: previous owner rode it through all of the states, then returned to Canada and traded it in
Riding style: conservative commuter, primary vehicle, so I take care of it
MPG: about 42
Oil: motomaster 10W40
Change oil: every 5,000 km (~3,000 mi)
Weather: West Coast Canada (very wet, cool winters, dry, warm summers, but lots of rain and near the ocean)

I've had no major issues (besides the TPS). I need to get my valve clearance checked though, and change the plugs again.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
27,000 + miles (really I dunno, just more than that number, I haven't checked lately)
Hard break in, LOL, I put in in a ditch the first day I had it.
First 1000 miles or so were ridden fairly gently.
Ridden fairly hard, mostly commuting in a crazy college town. I clutchless upshift and downshift 90% of the time.
I change my oil every 4k miles, my oil filter every 8k.
Used Rotella T Synthetic for most oil changes, on dino Rotella right now cause the synthetic was out.
Its humid out here in the south, and hot, and the bike sits outside 100% of the time, uncovered.

Yet she still runs like a top (slight idle problem, probably related to unsynchronized throttle bodies (never been done) or a bad ignition coil) and has never left me stranded, even after being high sided in a wal mart parking lot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
27k miles, bought used with3500 miles, an 04 bought in 10/06. 50mpg, change oil and filter every 4k with amsoil 20-50 and yam filters, I ride in sunny,hot,humid florida. Don't know how it was broken it. Chain was all rusty when I picked it up. I ride moderate, fast when I can but I don't beat it no wheelies or stoppies. get 15k out of tires.

·
FEAR the stapler...
1,230 Posts
20,500 mile 2004
bought used with 4,500 miles in April of 06
Broken in by a mid-40s husband and father of 4 (which means nothing to me)
Oil changes every 5k, used to use Yamalube, just switched to Rotella
Avg 48mpg commuting and weekend short trips. Slightly less agressive than medium.
Weather ranges from 100deg F to 35deg F while riding, rain, wind, sand.

No issues.

·
NOT SURE
1,003 Posts
did you buy new or used? Bought it new 3/2004. Currently 34,000. Survived two hits.

Babied it for 1st 600/rode it avg to harf ever since

For the first two years, sport/tour/communting. Now my riding is touring/commuting/a little conservative. Full throttle every now and then (I know, I'm contradicting)

what's your approx. mpg? I live in NYC so I’ve recorded as low as 38 city. Get it out to the country and I’ve done the high 50s.

Chronologically: Yamalube 10-30… Shell Rotella synthetic… Mobil 1 Racing 10-40 sythetic

Dino – every 3k. Synth every 4-5k

the full range of summers & winters.

·
Registered
23 Posts

did you buy new or used?
bought new in Feb of 06 Now has 21500 miles on it.

babied it.

easy and laid back unless i am on some twisties

what's your approx. mpg?
anywhere from 48-54 depending on my wrist.

I use yamalube.

every 3500 miles.

hot and humid in the summer and somewhat mild in the winter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
28,500 Mi

2005 Bought new

Broken in like the owners manual suggests (babied)

Used mostly for commuting, not a very aggressive rider

Commuting get about 45 - 48 MPG. Weekend rides where you can keep a steady pace of 50 -55 MPH have seen as high as 57 MPG

Shell Rotella Dino 5W-40 right now, changed every 3,000 Mi (or so)

Live in New England, bike gets riden in all kinds of weather - hot, cold, rain

No problems - it's been a fantastic and reliable bike

·
I didn't do it.
95 Posts
hi, i saw that some riders here have like over did you buy new or used?
New, '07, 16,000 miles

I just rode it.

Moderate.

what's your approx. mpg?

Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic.

Often. Before a trip, after a trip. 9 times so far.

This is Alabama. The only place you can have all four seasons in the same week.
*:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
did you buy new or used?
-new

-the first 600 miles you have to take it slow read the manual

gp stile on the weekends, week days slow and safe

what's your approx. mpg?
- i don't know 20$ A WEEK

-rotella

-2k miles no later than that i got good deals on oil thats why

-dc area cold and hot

man the fz6 is a good bike

·
Registered
386 Posts
Did you buy new or used: 06 FZ6 purchased new. Now at 65k km (40k miles)
Did you do "hard" break in or babied it for the first 600 miles?: Babied
What's your riding style? Moderate while riding for fun, tame while commuting.
What's your approx. mpg? About 48mpg avrg
What oil did you use and what weight? AmsOil 10W-40 (why do I feel like I'm gonna be attacked for saying that?) :neener
How often do you change oil? Every 5-6k km on average. Has gone as long as 11k km when on a long trip.
What's your local weather like? snow or no snow, humidity, etc: Wet, wet, wet. Ridden in the rain a lot. I try not ride in the snow. Its not that fun.

·
Registered
731 Posts
did you buy new or used? used, have about 30200 miles
if bought used, how many miles did you get it at? also do you know how it was broken in? 3000, no clue how it was broken in
what's your riding style? 50% touring, 50% around town. I keep the speeds up but I don't do wheelies or anything 'dangerous.'
what's your approx. mpg? mid 40's
what oil did you use and what weight? Rotella T in 15w-40
how often do you change oil? ~6000-8000 miles
what's your local weather like? snow or no snow, humidity, etc... CT, so snow and rain.

·
Registered
349 Posts
did you buy new or used? New, March 2006. Current mileage is only 10,300 miles.

if bought new, did you do "hard" break in? or babied it for the first 600 miles? Babied first 600 miles and then for most miles since then :)

if bought used, how many miles did you get it at? also do you know how it was broken in? N/A

what's your riding style? Commuter, with daily 36 mile round trip consisting of 2/3 highway 1/3 in town. I am a conservative rider and my emphasis is on gas consumption - see below.

what's your approx. mpg? 65 mpg

what oil did you use and what weight? 10w40 Yamalube

how often do you change oil? Once a year, around May time

what's your local weather like? snow or no snow, humidity, etc... Anywhere from 100 to 35, mainly sunny, a wee bit of rain, can get lots of snow. I ride throughout spring, summer, autumn and winter as and when Colorado weather allows :)

FWIW, about 900 miles ago I changed from 87 octane to 85 octane and have seen no difference in my gas consumption. I guess it helps living at altitude :)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
04 FZ6. Stock.

20,600 miles now a daily commuter.

Started with Shell Rotella (the dino version) and then Rotella Synthetic 5w40 oil. oil is changed every 7000 miles.

If I use all the gears on the interstate commute, I can average 46 miles/gallon.

mild climate here.

·
Registered
505 Posts
15,000+ miles (this is nothing compared with a lot of people here)

did you buy new or used? Used, 1 prior owner, seems to have been babied and very well taken care of
if bought used, how many miles did you get it at? also do you know how it was broken in?, Had 11,500 on it, no idea how it was broken in, but everything was immaculate, seems to have been very well taken care of.
what's your riding style? Weekend warrior, aggressive pleasure riding
what's your approx. mpg? Who cares?
what oil did you use and what weight? Rotella T synthetic, 5W-40
how often do you change oil? Every 3000, along with filter
what's your local weather like? snow or no snow, humidity, etc... Hot/humid in Summer, teens/twenties in Winter (no I don't ride it then)., Always garaged/covered, constant preventative maintenance year-round

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Not this again .... I'm embarrassed to answer as I know I should have more miles then I do by now. Then again I can only say what the odo shows, I've been riding around now for some time with a -0.05% error rate on the odo, I set my speedohealer to +/-1mph and that's what's causing it. So it should prob read about 2.5-3K more miles then it does.

72941 miles on the odo

did you buy new or used? New

if bought new, did you do "hard" break in? I wouldn't say hard but not too easy either. Prob close to the manual instructions.

what's your riding style? Upright .....I hate when it goes horizontal

what's your approx. mpg? average is prob 48 or so

what oil did you use and what weight? Motul dyno during breakin due to oil change amount but now Motul 5100 SYNTHETIC BLEND 10w40

how often do you change oil? Every 3K miles, during breakin oil was changed at 100, 300, 600, 1k, 2k. Been using a Scotts stainless steel oil filter for some time now as well, just clean & reuse

what's your local weather like? Winter S*CKS big fat wet slimey hairy moose .... you get the idea. I hate snow ..... evil evil rain it is.

Month___Avg. High___Avg. Low___Mean Avg.

Jan_____39°F________20°F_______30°F
Feb_____42°F________21°F_______32°F
Mar_____51°F________29°F_______40°F
Apr_____62°F________38°F_______50°F
May_____72°F_______48°F _______60°F
Jun______81°F_______58°F _______70°F
Jul______86°F________63°F_______75°F
Aug_____84°F________62°F ______73°F
Sep_____76°F________54°F_______65°F
Oct_____65°F________42°F_______54°F
Nov_____54°F________33°F_______44°F
Dec_____44°F________26°F_______35°F