Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my second track day coming up this weekend...going to be riding the California Speeday AMA course at Fontana. Can't wait!

Anybody have any pointers for this track? Tricky spots? Line suggestions? From looking at the map corners 12-16 seem like they can get really tricky if you don't get the line right.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry to hear about the fatality crash... I guess I have mixed feelings regarding whether or not in intrests me. It sucks and I feel for him (RIP) and his family, but not really what I was looking for in my original post.

so come on racers...lets put a more positive twist on this thread. tell me what you know about Fontana!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was there last month and had a blast except in the afternoon I wound up crashing twice at slow speed due to a mechanical problem with my forks :( The track is very challenging, a lot of super hard braking zones and the straightway is really long... you can get the bike into the 160+mph range if your bike can do it and you have the cajones.

The first T1 chicane is a bit tricky because you have to flip the bike left/right very fast at around 100+mph it requires a lot of upper body strength. The final set of chicanes you have to carry a LOT of speed because the front straight is very long so you have to get an awesome drive if you have a small bike like mine.

Here is a ontrack video: My first time at this place so I was still figuring it out and going pretty slow :lol

http://sportbikerush.net/vids/Fontana_Lap.wmv

Here is Alex Gobert passing me...I was going very slow because it was my warm up lap and I am one of those few broke racers without warmers :neener

http://sportbikerush.net/vids/Gobert_Pass.wmv

Have fun, it is a totally awesome track and I plan to return :banana

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
javawhz, thanks for the post and the video...

So here is my take on the Fontana AMA course:

WOW! I had only done one track day before this one (Buttonwillow) so I don't have a lot to compare to, but like javawhz said it is challenging. I will break it up in paragraphs to make it easier to read for anyone that is interested:

The first chicanes are definitely really fast. My fastest run through T1 and T2 was just over 100, but I think the really good guys can do it at 120-130. If you enter the chicane just right you can straighten out T1 pretty well but then really really have to wrestle the bike over for T2. It really is mostly a mental thing to drop down into those at high speed.

You can get a lot of speed heading into T3 that you have to scrub off. I struggled with getting the entrance of this corner all day but I think the idea is to apex with your bike and knee leaned right over the grass. Coming out of T4 is really fun because you can pick up a lot of speed again before slowing up for T5 and T6 (the Horseshoe). Then accelerate into T7 and T8 which you might have to roll of the throttle for but definitely don't need to brake for. T9 is a decreasing radius and happens to be where I got my knee down for the first time ever (it felt good!).

Exiting T9 you can really get on the gas and zip through T10 and T11. T11 has a nice hump that really lightens up your bike and will give you a little wobble if you aren't straight up, but don't worry about it...keep it pegged and it will straighten up just fine.

You can get a lot of speed on this back straight but going into T12 was where I seemed to do my hardest braking of the day. If you get out of T12 just right you can turn T13 and T14 into one easy turn. Then try to stick towards the inside of T15 so you can cut T16 and skip T17. I think this whole area is the trickiest parts of the track. This is where I think at least half of the days crashes were at so give yourself time to get used to T12-T16.

Enter T18 wide and fast and it sort of blends into T20 (skipping T19). The hardest thing for me in this area was being able to shift when leaned over so far to the left. Later in the day I was hitting the front straight with much more speed, but still think I could have improved in this area. Obviously this is an important place to get faster at since it sets you up for the front straight. My fastest speed on the front was around 147, but I think I could have topped 150 by improving my speed from T18-T20.

Overall I had a great day. The only bad thing about it was that there were a lot of crashes...At least 8 or 9. One guy even crashed his brand new 999S on the sighting lap. Yes...the VERY first lap where the organizers run you around at a grandma pace. It seems to me that the trend among people who crashed were that they were all out there trying to prove something. And it just so happens that I was doing the same thing when I spun my rear wheel and nearly highsided. This was a wakeup call for me. Go out there and push yourself, but DON'T overdo it. DON'T try to prove how badass you are. Like many instructors at trackdays tell you...you learn more at 80-90% than you do when you are pushing yourself to the limits.

Sorry this was so long. I am just super pumped about track riding after my second track day. And as far as my commentary, I'm no expert...this is just my take on the Fontana AMA layout. I will post some pics when/if I ever get them. Any tips or feedback is appreciated.

(edit: I had to change my avatar now that I have gotten my knee down!)

Also got a photo back. I think I am 'crossed over' a little bit and next time need to work on getting my whole body to hang off a little more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
redcbrla said:
sorry to hear about the fatality crash... I guess I have mixed feelings regarding whether or not in intrests me. It sucks and I feel for him (RIP) and his family, but not really what I was looking for in my original post.

so come on racers...lets put a more positive twist on this thread. tell me what you know about Fontana!

Just figured you might like to know where a track that is new to you might be dangerous...i know i like to know as much about dangerous sections of track BEFORE i get there.. either way.. sounds like you had a good time.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
javawhz said:
nice writeup redcbr... are you on cbrworld.net too?
Are you on socalsportbikes?

Nice write up on the track. I never got around to doing a track day when I was in SoCal :a2 :a2

On your first video link, what was that guy riding at the end of the clip? Man, he pulled away from you like you were sitting still.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rascus said:
Are you on socalsportbikes?

Nice write up on the track. I never got around to doing a track day when I was in SoCal :a2 :a2

On your first video link, what was that guy riding at the end of the clip? Man, he pulled away from you like you were sitting still.
Yep, I'm on SCS and Cbrworld.net :)

I think it was a GSXR750..not sure could've been a GSXR1000 too...a 600 wouldn't pull away from me like that! I made some mistakes in the last few corners by taking them in 2nd instead of 3rd. As I said, I was still learning the track.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
javawhz said:
Yep, I'm on SCS and Cbrworld.net :)
Cool...thought the named looked familar...heard there was a lot of drama on that site.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
javawhz said:
nice writeup redcbr... are you on cbrworld.net too?
thanks...I had to watch your video again. I had to laugh that you said you were "going pretty slow" since you still ran around 1:50...not bad for your first time there.

I was wondering since you are on the same bike as me how fast you think you are getting on the straights. I am going to Buttonwillow in a month but REALLY want to get back to Fontana.

I have never really checked out cbrworld.net before...I will check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts