Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Internet providers to begin warning customers who pirate content - CNN.com

"(CNN) -- It is about to get a bit more difficult to illegally download TV shows, movies or music online.

A new alert system, rolling out over the next two months, will repeatedly warn and possibly punish people violating digital copyrights. The Copyright Alert System was announced last July and has been four years in the making.

If you use AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, or Verizon as your Internet service provider, you could receive the first of one of these notes starting in the next two months.

The Internet provider is delivering the message, but the legwork is being done by the copyright owners, which will monitor peer-to-peer networks such as BitTorrent..... "
I know there's been a couple threads where a few of us have mentioned torrenting, and while I don't care to turn this into a thread legal vs illegal debate, I think this is just doomed to fail one way or the other.

This will scare a small population that isn't tech savvy enough encrypt or proxy their torrenting, and probably bust some people who are on public sites, but the vast majority of us that have been doing this, have been doing it since it was created. We have either figured out the ways to hide our activity, or have been fortunate enough to stick to the underground private sector where it's much much harder for these people to get on the inside to track our IPs to begin with.

Most people are going to get the letters and worry that the FBI is getting ready to knock down their doors and raid their computers, but the reality of it is that most people who download are merely small fries in a big cup. Law enforcement want the servers and the owners of the sites since those are the ones they can without a doubt tie to the copywrite infringement.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Didnt know this was a new thing. A year ago I received both a cease and desist letter and an email from comcast. Funny thing is, I stopped downloading a year before. The software was still installed and I was unknowingly seeding away.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didnt know this was a new thing. A year ago I received both a cease and desist letter and an email from comcast. Funny thing is, I stopped downloading a year before. The software was still installed and I was unknowingly seeding away.
It's more that all of the cable companies are getting in on it. Comcast has been doing it for awhile, Cox started this year I think, but now everyone is getting on board with it. I've been doing it with Time Warner for 4 years between three different residences and I've never had an issue.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
It'll never stick. It's almost impossible to prove that a person was the one downloading something, regardless of whether you have their IP or not.

Just use something like peerblock. The monitoring computers will quickly get recognized, added to the list of like 40 million addresses to block, and they won't be able to connect to your computer to see what you are seeding/leeching.

Anyways, it's not about catching people violating copyrights. After six "alerts", they are just going to throttle your internet and shit like that.

But it's not legal for them to intentionally throttle your internet if you are paying for a certain speed. I don't see this lasting long.

Fucking RIAA and MPAA are the main sponsors of this shit. It's got to stop. It's just one more step on the way to ISP's being able to block access to websites that they decide they don't want you to be able to get to.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
What about that chick a couple years ago that got nailed a second time for copyright infringement and was ordered to pay a fine of like 25k per movie or some such outrageous shit? Thats my biggest concern.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about that chick a couple years ago that got nailed a second time for copyright infringement and was ordered to pay a fine of like 25k per movie or some such outrageous shit? Thats my biggest concern.
I would imagine they had her without a shadow of a doubt as being a b***** player for actually making the rips and uploading. For the most part, they leave the downloaders alone.

Take oink.cd (google it) for instance. Oink was a pioneer site for music torrents and was indeed a private by invite only tracker. I probably had 40 or 50 gigs worth of music downloaded from Oink by the time they got shut down and the servers got seized. The only person they went after was the owner even though they now had access to thousands of IP addresses, email addresses, download histories, etc.

Demonoid too. It's been shut down like 3 times since I signed up on it and while I no longer use them (think they're actually still down from the last raid) nobody has come knocking on my door or trying to seize my computers.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Yea so I am wanting to re-install BitTorrents, but I am still a noob with it. I was use to LimeWire until the lawsuit came down on them. What will I need to set up or add so that no one can track my computer? I am pretty tech and network savy but I haven't gotten to time to fiddle with my computer since i rebuilt it as a Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit system.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea so I am wanting to re-install BitTorrents, but I am still a noob with it. I was use to LimeWire until the lawsuit came down on them. What will I need to set up or add so that no one can track my computer? I am pretty tech and network savy but I haven't gotten to time to fiddle with my computer since i rebuilt it as a Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit system.
I'll send you a PM when I get home since I can't look that stuff up here at work and while there are LEGAL torrents, I don't want to condone this activity publicly since it's a do at your own risk kind of thing.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
this is a losing battle....for the people who have their material pirated. They need to innovate a better way of providing music, movie and games.

Example. Netflix is a step in the right direction. I am sure since its popularity, pirated movies have been on the low. Music is still DLed illegally in high volume. Record companies WILL continue to lose money because of this. They are going to have to accept it. I suggest they release music for free via DL. stop production of physical CDs to save on costs and simple charge higher rates to see the band perform live.

As far as software goes maybe they will switch to an online log in deal where to use the software you have to log in with an account and its a live connection as if it was an online game.

But thats just spit balling. People are ALWAYS going to get the binary code to your shit, but you can usually control how they connect and activate it much better than some Key Auth Pass. Look at Diablo 3 for example.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know the funny thing is, most musicians don't make money off record sales anyways, or they make very little, so it just isn't that important to them. 75% of their revenue is in merchandise and concerts. It's just a matter of time until the record companies are out of business anyways, especially as the technology progresses towards the garage band that can produce their own records and market their own music.

The movie sales are about the same. Sure they're going to make money off DVDs and BRs, but the bulk of it is coming from the theatres. Once they've made their production money back off the opening week, it's all profit anyways.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
they dont want to spend the resources to prosecute 1 million people who do non-violent crime. I bet megavideo had 5 million IPs and they only took down KIM DOT COM, there is no way the public would allow the court system to be tied up with trivial shit like downloading movies.

Downloading pirated material is ILLEGAL but so is going 1 MPH over the speed limit, or jay walking. Take it all in context please. Actors and Movies producers are still making more and more money. Its not a hit to the industry.
I do think it could be a hit on creative software design. People arent going to make Photoshop CS25 for free you know, and if they did, its going to suck.

here is a question. How is Neo Office, Open Office, and all that Open Source stuff not blatantly using material from other software?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I'll send you a PM when I get home since I can't look that stuff up here at work and while there are LEGAL torrents, I don't want to condone this activity publicly since it's a do at your own risk kind of thing.
I dont suppose I could get on that mail list could I?:hmm

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
this is a losing battle....for the people who have their material pirated. They need to innovate a better way of providing music, movie and games.

Example. Netflix is a step in the right direction. I am sure since its popularity, pirated movies have been on the low. Music is still DLed illegally in high volume. Record companies WILL continue to lose money because of this. They are going to have to accept it. I suggest they release music for free via DL. stop production of physical CDs to save on costs and simple charge higher rates to see the band perform live.

As far as software goes maybe they will switch to an online log in deal where to use the software you have to log in with an account and its a live connection as if it was an online game.

But thats just spit balling. People are ALWAYS going to get the binary code to your shit, but you can usually control how they connect and activate it much better than some Key Auth Pass. Look at Diablo 3 for example.
Netflix, redbox, and my personal favorite Hulu. And although they can trace an IP down to an installation, they still wouldn't know the suspect hardware. You can so easily mask an IP through so many programs and system settings. And although I don't have one yet, I think anyone who is serious about torrents should get a firewall and I am not talking about the kind that comes built into the operating system but the actually hardware.

And at what point do you go from tracing an IP to invading someone's privacy just to verify the ID of the hardware? And a dirty networker can remote through multiple machines to conduct downloads and leaving a false trail. A neat trick I learned while i was deployed to Iraq.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
When I lived on-campus, two of my roommates had their internet privileges suspended because they were pirating HBO shows, and HBO actually notified the school of the activity. It's pretty easy to track down users on the school network when the school is being cooperative. So I would think it'll be just as easy once the cable companies start cooperating.

There were a couple of students who actually got sued. They both settled for $4k each.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
When I lived on-campus, two of my roommates had their internet privileges suspended because they were pirating HBO shows, and HBO actually notified the school of the activity. It's pretty easy to track down users on the school network when the school is being cooperative. So I would think it'll be just as easy once the cable companies start cooperating.

There were a couple of students who actually got sued. They both settled for $4k each.
I think its against most universities privacy contract to give out any info about users on their network. IE telling HBO who it was. This was the case at my university they told HBO to fuck off and that they refuse to give up info. (i got caught, twice. )

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I still pay for cd's.

not.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The last CD I actually paid for was because the singer literally called out the entire audience at a show I was at, two weeks before it was supposed to be released, because he knew it had already been released across the internet. The sad thing is that if the initial lynch mob mentality had never made it to the public <cough> Fuck Metallica <cough> the music industry would never really have pursued it to the degree that they did. Like I said, most of the artists, actors, and producers make their money right off the bat or off concurrent shows. If I was in a band, I'd always give my music away for free, just because the b***** your exposure, the more likely someone is going to show up to see you live and buy your merchandise.

edit: I was a huge metallica fan before they started fucking with napster. First show I ever went to was Metallica at 16. And I saw them one more time after that, but I will never support them as a band again. First thing I did when I saw the news about napster was go on the internet and steal every single album they made, and every album since, just out of principal. Fucking greedy assholes.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
there's lots of ways to hide your downloads. just remember the people who are into this stuff is way ahead of the curve technology wise than any cable company or gov agency.

they're probably 12 years ahead of these folks.

anyrate, peerblock will block spying computers from being able to see what you're downloading,
PeerBlock – Peerblock Site all the mags recommend running it when you're torrenting.
you should see all the gov computers it's blocking. (scary stuff to see what it's blocking) the list of "bad" computers is constantly being updated by the community.

and using a proxy server. this will prevent anyone from seeing your IP. free proxies aren't worth using. you'll need to pay for one for it to be worth while.
just be warned I've read that there are a lot of fake proxy servers set up by governments and telecommunication companies to purposely catch you downloading stuff.

Proxy.org - The Proxy Authority

1 - 20 of 150 Posts