Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A story about trying to remove traffic bottlenecks was on the front page of the San Jose paper this morning. Interesting that the picture included a m/c lane splitting (yes, it's basically legal in CA).

(Link to article removed as you have to be a subscriber, free but a pain)

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
I will only do it if Im turning right at an intersection and its all backed up but I am always wanting to but I have bad luck so I'd get a ticket
the law is easier on you guys out west :twofinger

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
its only legal in CA.. Wheres Ft Colins?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Ordie said:
its only legal in CA.. Wheres Ft Colins?

Colorado... I'm 99% sure it's not legal but damn man its the only way to get from here to Denver with out getting stuck endless miles of stopped cars!

I loved riding in LA (lived in Yorba Linda for a short stint)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yea its wierd Arizona has no helmet law but they dont want you to lane split??? WTF? But i do it anyway. If its totally backed up on the free way i just lane split i dont think a cop car could even get through the traffic mess to catch me anyway! :twofinger

·
Registered
775 Posts
I often wonder how much overall traffic would be reduced if even 5-10% more people rode motorcycles. Plus it might even make it safer to ride a bike because cagers would be more used to seeing bikes. It would also reduce our dependency on those bastards at OPEC.

I love being able to split lanes here in California. I can't imagine moving and having to sit in traffic with all the beautiful empty real estate between cars. I think it is really stupid that other states don't allow lane splitting. If I ever move to another state I will just have to resort to law breaking I guess!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I miss lane splitting:( the closest thing I can do is to stay about 4 or 5 inches from the dividing line and switch lanes...it's not as drastic as riding in the middle of the lane and switching.

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
To you guys that lane split is states where its illegal....

Have you guys ever gone by a cop while doing this? Have you ever been ticketed for it? I'm just curious cause i'm tempted to lane split all the time here.

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
gixxer_751 said:
i do it but i get nervous when doing it.. like my subconsios
+1 I do it (it's legal) but I don't like it, there's too many shitty drivers. A friend of mine got hit lane splitting. He woke up with a concusion in the bed of some guys pick up truck. :eek:

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
Tuffguy #2 said:
To you guys that lane split is states where its illegal....

Have you guys ever gone by a cop while doing this? Have you ever been ticketed for it? I'm just curious cause i'm tempted to lane split all the time here.
Yes, I've gone past the CHP while lane splitting. There are specific laws, but I forget them. It's illegal to travel more then 15 mph over the rate of traffic. Moreover, you can only split traffic that is traveling at 30-45 mph (again I forget the specifics).

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Living in Japan, lane splitting is a necessity and I do it every chance I get. I probably split 300 cars on my morning commute today. I can cut 20 to 30 minutes off my commute by doing it.

Once you get used to splitting cars it's very easy. When the cars are stopped, I run between 10 and 20 MPH as I pass them. I won't usually split them when they're moving at more than a crawl but I run right along the center line and switch when I have th chance.

It's actually a lot of fun, and I think it takes a lot of skill. I feel a little like Luke Skywalker running down that canyon on the Death Star.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My msf instructor told me that lane splitting in CA with a liquid cooled bike is illegal. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I don't think that they would write the law according to the type of cooling system it has. Even with a liquid cooled, at least my bike anyway, it gets damn close to over heating when sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I lane split every morning on the way to school. Sac isn't so bad, but you guys in the Bay Area have some crazy traffic. I was following a friend between cars on the 101 just north of the Golden Gate and an SUV cut him off and my friend clipped him. I have a lot of respect for the 'splitters in the Bay Area and LA.
CHP bikes do it, too. I followed one for miles on the 205 from the Bay Area to Stockton one day and you better believe people cleared a path for him! We were cruising at 45mph and everyone else was stopped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts