Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just completed the casuperbikeschool 2-day camp @ las vegas motor speedway infield course.

They had a photographer taking pictures, i bought a CD from him, here is a link to them:
Click Here

First i'll start off with the bikes:

They had new rides this year, 2007 ZX6-R's... they look a little funny in the pics because they used the previous model year race fairings on them, so only the top fairing fit, that is why the bottom is naked.

At first i was a little uncomfortable on the bike, probably because i'm so used to my 2004 R6, but after a while i barely noticed it anymore and felt right at home. The bikes were quite manageable at any gear... but 2nd gear was the best around that track, just touching 3rd for a bit on the straight. The bikes had incredible lean angle, i started scraping pegs at the end of the first day, taking the feelers off the pegs would help with that problem... also nothing an aftermarket rearset would fix.

The bikes were very flickable... i never really had a knack for "flicking" it in, so it wasn't until i took the school was i able to fully understand "flicking" it in, i felt like i was "slamming" it in sometimes... it was awesome! i never turned so fast before.

They were on Dunlop D208's... and they looked already used when we showed up on day one... which made me nervous. because i'm so used to everyone saying you need new tires when you ride the track. also i shared the bike with one other rider, so the bike saw 14 sessions EACH day! and we used the same tires both days too... nevertheless, the tires were extremely grippy and i never had a problem with slide or lack of feel from either end. At the end of the 2nd day however i kind of felt the bike slide a little but i'm not sure.

The clip-ons were all stock but were in perfect position for hanging off, The bikes didn't have any stomp pads on them yet, that would have probably helped my legs a bit and i wouldn't be so sore today!

The slipper clutch is awesome... i played around with it by downshifting without blipping the throttle and it was pretty smooth, if i did that on my R6 my balls would have certainly turned a nice black and blue color.

The tac is nice, the 12 o' clock redline is awesome, and the gear indicator let me know why i didn't have as much power coming out of the corners because i was in 3rd or 4th gear =)

ok so now onto the school:

Keith Code taught most of the classroom sessions, which was good. A lot of the stuff was in his books so it was nothing new... just extra knowledge and explanation with real world examples. Like most schools do, they start you off step by step, making you work on one thing at a time, which helped me a lot... which is one thing i noticed when i took the beginner class from Team Pro Motion at the Poconos back in PA.

The on track training helped me tremendously, i learned a lot from the riding coaches. having them follow you around let them see what you are doing in real time, and how you are applying the classroom lessons. Following the coaches around gave me assurance of what to do, what lines to take, how fast to turn in, how much lean i can handle, and they helped me push my speeds faster and faster.

Las Vegas infield has a TON of runoff, so the first day we ran it clockwise, then c-clockwise on sunday. it was perfect for getting a feel for improving left and right hand turning, and it was like 2 different tracks!

When i came into the school i felt i had "ok" body positioning, pretty good vision, and was comfortable with leaning the bike over. I wasn't confident in quick turning, and finding the right turn-in points... especially on a new track. i've dragged my left knee plenty of times, but never the right... so i wasn't sure how that would feel, or if i can do it.

What i found out was that my body positioning needed a lot of work, i was doing the whole "butt off the bike" thing with my upper body mostly on the tank... which you can see in the first set of pictures. A few tips from my instructor and analysis from keith code and staff on the "lean bike" helped me tremendously on finding the right place to place myself on the machines. I found that concentrating on moving my head and shoulders off the side, while leaving my chest, outside arm, and outside leg/knee on the tank, my butt just followed suit and i was hanging off no problem by the end of day one... with a little more confidence and practice i felt like a 250gp racer at the end of day 2! my instructor told me i was only inches from scraping elbow... crazy!

I learned how to throttle out of corners, smooth roll on all the time... i figured out how to quickly handle a set of S's ... after the first turn i would get my butt up off the seat, almost standing on the pegs, slam my other knee onto the tank, kind of digging it up in there, then setting back down on the seat ready for the next turn, all in one kind of smooth motion... i felt like i was doing some kind of dance or something. I told the riding coach me new technique and he said it was actually something they teach in their level III school... awesome!

I really practiced relaxing on the bike and quick turning... now i feel i can flick it into any turn anytime with the right speed... i surprised myself at times when i flicked it in so fast all the way onto my tow sliders!

I was having a blast out there at the end of the 2 days, the gave us 2 sessions each day to practice whatever, and that's when i really pushed myself to new limits, each lap pushing more and more, all within my comfort zone.

the 2nd day was the best, i felt really confident and was passing guys left and right... i think i was one of the fastest in my group at least... i was only passed a couple of times both days, always by the same two riders... there was only one rider i couldnt catch up too and re-pass (on day one) on day two i didn't see him at all... everyone was faster on day two so there was much less traffic, and i felt more comfortable passing on most corners.

anyway, i had a great time... I can't wait for my next trackday (TBD) $$$ !!! haha

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
:banana

hell yeah! i wanna go!

nice helmet btw, i have the same exact one!

·
Registered
277 Posts
awesome pics! sounds like a great weekend :dblthumb

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
I'm first on the waiting list for two June sessions at Willow Springs. Can't wait!

Everything I've heard about the school just makes me :banana

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
You got me so fired up I just signed up for Willow Springs! I'll be trying their zix6 too! Be a big change from my priller.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here I am on the camera bike, i wish i could have had more laps with the camera bike... the bike felt a little awkward at first and took me a lap to get acquainted... also depending on what time of day you rode the camera bike, made a big difference on how you performed on it... i was lucky enough to ride it later on in the day, when i was a little faster...

Maybe they should have 2 camera bikes? i think they can also get a better angle if they moved the camera behind the rider more, so you can see all of the rider's back, and the track in front of them.

I wish i had a chance to try the braking bike, or the slide bike, which i thought the 2 day camps provided for the level I & II guys.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Can you just start out on the 2-Day course or do you have to go through the levels before you can?

I was looking at doing the 2 day course, just because of the distance I have to go to attend it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rascus said:
Can you just start out on the 2-Day course or do you have to go through the levels before you can?

I was looking at doing the 2 day course, just because of the distance I have to go to attend it.
You can just sign up for the 2-day course. Everyone has to start from Level I. The 2-day covers 2 levels... so i did levels I & II. If i ever went back to the school i can take level III.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Cool, thanks :cheers

·
Gap runner
800 Posts
208's? When I went through they were using Qualifiers........

The biggest thing I learned when I went through it was a revised body positioning as well. Had a blast there!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
meanstrk said:
208's? When I went through they were using Qualifiers........

The biggest thing I learned when I went through it was a revised body positioning as well. Had a blast there!
the 208GP's are qualifiers right?

·
Gap runner
800 Posts
Well, being that I order my Qualifiers through the school mechanic, I know that they use Qualifiers and not 208's, unless something has changed very recently, and if so, I am curious as to why.

I need to drop an email and see what's up.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
meanstrk said:
Well, being that I order my Qualifiers through the school mechanic, I know that they use Qualifiers and not 208's, unless something has changed very recently, and if so, I am curious as to why.

I need to drop an email and see what's up.......
i was curious as to what tires they were using and bent down and read the sidewalls, i'm pretty sure they said D208. Unless the qualifiers also say D208 on the sidewall too. They were probably the GP variant... i didn't know there was a regular 208.

I use Diablo Corsa's on my bike... so i never had dunlops (besides stock)

Also they did get new bikes this year... maybe that had something to do with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts