Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi jsut as the title suggests but to keep it nice and short, what are some things to ask for about a bike if you are going to buy it used from a owner and also what are some things that you should spot for if you do go and check the bike in person??? :dunno

·
Registered
981 Posts
check the tires, and chain first (thats what i did). look for rust spots on the chain (sign that it wasnt maintained). also make sure the bike is cold when u start it up (to see if it has cold-start problems). make sure the forks are straight. u can just visually do it for the most part. ask about oil changes. and look at the brake pads. those should be the key things to check for first.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I went into a consignment motorcycle shop when I was looking for my first sportbike. I didn't buy a bike through them but the salesman taught me A LOT. A few things to look for....

Are the front fork seals leaking???
If so, the previous owner may have been a wheelie junkie.

Are the teeth on the rear sprocket hooked?
Again the previous owner may have been a wheelie junkie.

Check the wear pattern on the rear tire. Huge flat spot in the middle?
Maybe a burnout king?

Has the bike been repainted?
Crazy dude may have crashed when he was doing a wheelie?

I would STAY AWAY from buying a used sportbike from a young kid. Most of the time the machine has been beatin to hell and not maintained. Buy a sportbike that has low miles from an adult owner.

Good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts