Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so there were a couple other bikes that I wanted to buy, but they have sold already.
Now I'm considering the following two bikes (which have not sold yet! :) ):

1982 Kawasaki GP550 with 48,000km on it (30,000mi) asking $1400cad ($1077usd)

vs.

1994 Kawasaki EX500 with 51,000km (31875mi) asking $3300 ($2358usd)

This is my first bike, and I'm hoping to resell the bike after a year or so, any suggestions which one I should get? I'm having a mechanic inspect them both, and that might end up being the deciding factor, but assuming they both run well... any suggestions?
I noticed that the '82 Kawa has less milage than the much newer bike... how many miles roughly should I expect these bikes to get before they quit?...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, those are just asking prices, but should I really expect to have to get alot of new parts for the 1994 bike?
What kind of price IS reasonable? The guy is asking 2358 usd for the 1994, but if i got it for like 2100, would that be okay?
(or if i got the '82 for like $900?)

Here are the ads:
1994 Kawasaki EX500

1982 Kawasaki GP550

Please help me...

·
Registered
501 Posts
get the newer one. older bikes tend to have more parts that are worn out and need replacing. offer 600-800 US for the Gpz550 if you go for it, that's all i would pay for an older kawasaki.

(btw, I have 3 older kawasakis, 1979 KZ400 LTD, 1981 KZ550 LTD, 1983 KZ750 LTD Twin)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks, I'll look at the EX500 then.
Assuming it has never been dropped, and it runs well, what is a reasonable price for that? $2100-2200usd?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
$2000 US max for the EX500.
Also parts are readily available for the bike on ebay and other parts dealers. I've rebuilt my bike off ebay for less than the cost of what the labor would have cost me at a dealer. All new plastic (scratched again) $400, new exhaust cans for like $200 (one is now scratched), new brakes rotors, axles, handlebar risers, handlebars, turn signals, grips, sprockets and chain, tire/wheel and all kinds of assorted cables bolts and pieces for about $400.
You can buy the part you need on ebay for like $9.99 and the seller leaves it connected to all kinds of other parts that would easily cost you $70- $100 at a dealer

Even if the bike has been dropped, the tubular steel frame and solid engine can take a lot of abuse. My bike has been crashed, dropped, flipped and it still rides straight and true. Don't fear some cosmetic damage, this is a great bike to practice on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, im not that worried about a drop, especially since the mechanic inspecting the bike for me should be able to tell me if the frame is bent at all etc.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll haggle with them and see what kind of deal I can get with either bike. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nevermind... I just ended up buying a new Kawa Ninja 500R from a dealer -- I pick it up this wednesday.

·
Registered
981 Posts
kdoto.com said:
Nevermind... I just ended up buying a new Kawa Ninja 500R from a dealer -- I pick it up this wednesday.
good call. cuz i was just about to post up i got my 98 500R with 11k for only $2000 usd.

·
Registered
157 Posts
YAH,,, welcome to the club! You'll love it, especially after the break in period.
She'll seem slow at first, but if your gentle, :cool: she'll wind up nicely after 500miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts