Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As said in my title, I'm looking to purchase a motorcycle that has no title but it has been tagged. When I asked the owner about this, his response was, "In Georgia, the DMV didn't require a title with the bike being as old as it is". I felt this to be a bit sketchy, but I'm not familiar with GA motor vehicle laws. The bike in question is a 1978 Honda CB750 and he asking $1800. I appreciate some input, especially from some who may know more about GA motor vehicle laws. Thanks in advance!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Georgia DDS Regulations for Buying & Selling Vehicles at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Titles are not required in Georgia for vehicles 1985 or older, but you will need to provide the Bill of Sale when you register the car in your name, so be sure to take it with you to your local Tax Commissioner's Office. If the car is newer than 1985, the Bill of Sale might still work in place of a title.
Unfortunately, I live in SC. I plan to have it tagged in SC as well. I assume I'll just have to go by my local SC DMV and ask them how to go about this. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If he wants the sale tell him to go the extra step and get a damn title.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
With a bill of sale you should be able to get the title for the bike. I think I got my 82 CB750K for about $400 7 or so years ago. It was still stock and in great shape so there was not the extra cafe racer work done to it that I had to pay for. My first thought was that you are about to pay to much but after seeing the picture I can not offer any advice to the value of the bike. Just dont know cafe racers that well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In reading South Carolina's laws, you need to apply for a title.

South Carolina Legislature Mobile

Pay attention to title 19, Section 240. You may have challenges ahead of you or it could be simple. In reading the law I can't tell how "easy" they make it.
Thanks! After looking into this quite a bit, it seems it will be a pointless endeavor. He mentioned he was able to tag the bike without a title in GA because they allow that for vehicles older than 1985. Unfortunately in SC, they do not allow that on any year categories. Any year vehicle must have a title and Bill of Sale to register the vehicle... Anywho, thanks for the link! Safe riding!! :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I did the same thing with a bike from Vermont. Vermont has the same law where they don't require a title to tag a bike that is over 15 years old. I called Vermont and they let me tag the bike in Vermont and gave me a registration card. North Carolina let me title the bike down here using that registration card.

Not sure if it will work for you but it worked out in my case.

Your best is to make the seller do the leg work.

Best of luck.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
I always saw this as simple.. if it has a title, it goes with the vehicle and gets properly transferred.. If the owner doesn't have a title, someone wasn't interested in doing the right thing, so I'm not doing the work/taking the risk. To me it's just bad Karma to buy something that was probably stolen at some point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone who offered advice and their own personal experiences! Just to update you all, I've went through with the purchase and everything went well! Could very well have been a bad call but thankfully it was not. If any of ya'll live in upstate South Carolina, or nearby, let me know if ya'll have a riding group. I'd love to join in! Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used to live up there. I miss living at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. So many great roads to ride. You can check out THIS LINK to find some people/groups near you. You can also just hit the roads up above Hwy 11 and run into people to ride with.

I used to love riding up Caesers Head mountain then down the other side to Brevard, NC. Grab lunch then head toward Cashiers or Franklin, NC. The Blue Ridge Parkway is also good if you can go when traffic isn't too bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used to live up there. I miss living at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. So many great roads to ride. You can check out THIS LINK to find some people/groups near you. You can also just hit the roads up above Hwy 11 and run into people to ride with.

I used to love riding up Caesers Head mountain then down the other side to Brevard, NC. Grab lunch then head toward Cashiers or Franklin, NC. The Blue Ridge Parkway is also good if you can go when traffic isn't too bad.
Oh I've been up there quite a bit actually! I've rode The Dragon a few times. I used to ride a good bit a few years ago up until an accident I had in 2007. I've rode a few times since then but this will be the first bike I've owned since 2007. Glad to be riding again! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts