Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! As you might know I bought a '92 cbr600f2 with almost 21,000 miles.

Some things I had to do since it's an older bike...

It needed a new stator and speedo cable but now it seems fine.

The bike's panels are clean but under it's very dirty! Grime everywhere.

Just cleaned the chain today using simple green/toothbrush. Man it was messy!

But now the chain is much much cleaner and it's freshly oiled.

Also used Hondabrite all over the bike and polished the panels with Zaino. :D

So, buying an older bike can be good but it can be expensive too for fixes and it may need some elbow grease cleaning wise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
MT Wallet said:
Hello! As you might know I bought a '92 cbr600f2 with almost 21,000 miles.

It needed a new stator and speedo cable but now it seems fine.

Just cleaned the chain today using simple green/toothbrush. Man it was messy!

But now the chain is much much cleaner and it's freshly oiled.

Also used Hondabrite all over the bike and polished the panels with Zaino. :D
I'm confused? But, since you have an older CBR, I'll go along with ya. So, where are the pics, because :needpics

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
highfigh said:
I'm confused? But, since you have an older CBR, I'll go along with ya. So, where are the pics, because :needpics
Lol I'm sorry I added some info to the post. :D

Here's a pic before I bought her...this was in the for sale ad.

She's a little cleaner now under those nice body panels

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Nice and clean. Brings back memories, my boy use to have that exact bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
MT Wallet said:

Nice lookin' bike! I also got an oldie, but I love her all the same. Yea, it can get a little expensive when you get it back into shape, but to me that's half the fun. Some days I don't know if I want to ride, or just tinker on her. I have put about 400 into her to get her back up to shape, but still haven't spent 2 grand total for such fun. And I'm sure if I were to buy a new bike, I would be too anal to really learn how to ride.

Here's a recent pic, after some cleaning and modding.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet highfigh!

that's a classic no doubt...my friend used to ride one back in college.

he loved it and passed the state dmv test with it...he was a good rider.

his second bike after that one... was a 600f2~ The exact same color as mine!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks good man. I have the same bike with about 19K miles. Haven't had to do much more than routine maintenance. I like having an older bike. It give me something that I can work on. Only problem I have found is keeping the white rims clean. Enjoy the bike.

~Ziggy

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
The bike is in GREAT condition for how old it is. It runs very solid. Paint is in good condition. Other then normal wear and tear it looks perfect. He got a great deal. Next time I'll really have to open her up for ya :D

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol Rascus...no problem man she wants to be revved!

I took off some of the body panels today...Honda made it so easy with the screws on the outside of the fairings....and got to see the innards.

92cbrziggy did you have to do anything for your cam chain tensioner?

Glad you like your bike too!

·
Registered
102 Posts
92CBRZiggy said:
Looks good man. I have the same bike with about 19K miles. Haven't had to do much more than routine maintenance. I like having an older bike. It give me something that I can work on. Only problem I have found is keeping the white rims clean. Enjoy the bike.

~Ziggy
Lol, your not kiddin' about the white rims. Man, I've probably spent a good 3 hours on them, and I'm still not done. The guy I bought them off of must have never cleaned them. That, and the fork seals were shot, so there was a nice fork oil/grudge film all over the front one. But cleaning them with wd40 should make it easier to upkeep.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
That's a really nice looking bike MT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is my 91. I've had it for two years, and it had 8,400 miles when I bought it. The only problem I had was the bike still had the original front tire! People want to know if it has all the original parts. It is all original except for maintenance items. It even has all the stickers.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bet_Winner said:
Here is my 91. I've had it for two years, and it had 8,400 miles when I bought it. The only problem I had was the bike still had the original front tire! People want to know if it has all the original parts. It is all original except for maintenance items. It even has all the stickers.
Whoa that's some low mileage!

Was it in a museum? :)

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
MT Wallet said:

That a sweet ride. Good work. I love those colors and it reminds me of a bike that a old boss used to ride (white and blue, same year).

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Those are some nice bikes! I like buying older bikes, fixing them up, and then selling them for a miniscule profit. It's a lot of fun and you learn tons about the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
highfigh said:
Nice lookin' bike! I also got an oldie, but I love her all the same. Yea, it can get a little expensive when you get it back into shape, but to me that's half the fun. Some days I don't know if I want to ride, or just tinker on her. I have put about 400 into her to get her back up to shape, but still haven't spent 2 grand total for such fun. And I'm sure if I were to buy a new bike, I would be too anal to really learn how to ride.

Here's a recent pic, after some cleaning and modding.
looks like a big ole candy cane

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
I know all too well the potential cost of owning an older bike. After new tires, brakes, battery and seals, my 96 ZX6R also needed new fork tubes and I believe a stator. I spent more money than I initially wanted to.

MT, you're lucky because that CBR is one of the bikes I initially PMd the old owner about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts