Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Since I've been driving the ZZR600 E for almost 4 years now, I've thought of upgrading to the ZZR1100 D model from 1993-2001.
Particularly only the D model as I've read about the con rod bearing on the 3.rd cylinder on the older models, also some gearbox issues with the 2.nd gear.
I'm not the type that do wheelies, or anything related, only some acceleration from 2.nd and upward, never in the 1.st gear.

Are these problems solved with the D model, would it make any difference if I buy the first D model from 1993 compared to the latest year 2001 in terms of gearbox/con rod issues?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

Rdgs,

Mario

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mate, I opened my email and found the notiofication from this website, I opened it and thought I traveled in time... I have 40 years of riding bikes on my record and I was "there" when these bikes were current and still see no reason to be stuck in time. There was never anything great about these bikes and trust me, any modern bike will give you something these are not capable of, UNLESS it's something very personal to you. Keep in mind as well that maintenance on such is way more difficult in regards of finding new parts, it will always be a question of history, considering 35 + years of age... If you're a collector and that would be the only missing bike in your collection, I would see a reason to get such, but otherwise, please do yourself a favor and make your life more enjoyable with a modern ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mate, I opened my email and found the notiofication from this website, I opened it and thought I traveled in time... I have 40 years of riding bikes on my record and I was "there" when these bikes were current and still see no reason to be stuck in time. There was never anything great about these bikes and trust me, any modern bike will give you something these are not capable of, UNLESS it's something very personal to you. Keep in mind as well that maintenance on such is way more difficult in regards of finding new parts, it will always be a question of history, considering 35 + years of age... If you're a collector and that would be the only missing bike in your collection, I would see a reason to get such, but otherwise, please do yourself a favor and make your life more enjoyable with a modern ride.
Hi Robert, thanks for the reply.
You are absolutely right about the newer bikes, they would probably be able to give me something different compared to older bikes. But the thing is, I've been very satisfied with my ZZR600 E-model for the last 4 years, and taking a ZZR1100 D-model for a test drive, just totally sold it for me. The power of this bike is just fantastic.
I understand that the newer bikes probably would give me something more in terms of power, but I never really liked the looks of newer bikes (the shapes, the seat etc. I've always had a thing for classics, and to me the ZZR600-1100 has always been the nicest looking Kawasaki really. So I guess you can call this a personal choice.
I would rather have an older bike, that I really love the looks of, instead of something newer, that I really hate looking at, despite it delivering more power/handling etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As I said, it's only justified on a personal level... As I was telling you about newer bikes, I didn't have power in mind... It's features, besides power; suspension adjustment and comfort; better throttle response, better lights, better power supply, availability of parts, fuel mileage, emissions and so much more. Don't get me wrong, the bike you are looking at, is a nice bike, but it can't be in factory condition and even if it would be, it still won't be as reliable as a modern bike. Again, it's something very personal on so many levels... Weight and handling are issues of the past as well... Who am I to change someone's mind??? Nobody, really. Enjoy your new bike!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts