1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
96 Posts
if you get that for 4k or less, than consider it a great deal.
If he is racing, than it shoudl all be safty wired, and you already have most of the performance mods. If you want more out of it, throw on a jet kit and you'll be set.

The biggest thing to worry about is to make sure the frame is straight. Even after you buy it, you shoudl get it checked out. Im some cases, the frames don't come exactly square from teh factory, you can get it checked for as little as $150.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When i inspected it it had a ding near the steering column. He got it when he went down at the track. He said he hasnt had any problems with it being there. Where do you suggest i get it checked out?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im not to sure with your area, but if you check with your local race organization message boards, they will be able to tell you. You could also post in the local forum area here on SBN. If you post a picture of the bike up in your local race organization forums, you will most likley also find someone that has seen the bike, or may know more about its history and who has been riding it. If someone thinks there is somethign wrong with it, I promise they will speak up.

- oh, and I would be a concerned about a ding in the fork.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Triton said:
Im not to sure with your area, but if you check with your local race organization message boards, they will be able to tell you. You could also post in the local forum area here on SBN. If you post a picture of the bike up in your local race organization forums, you will most likley also find someone that has seen the bike, or may know more about its history and who has been riding it. If someone thinks there is somethign wrong with it, I promise they will speak up.

- oh, and I would be a concerned about a ding in the fork.
If the slider or cartridge has a ding the bike has been down hard enough to warrant a more thorough inspection.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Ideally you'd make sure the suspension is set up for someone of your weight, or that'll cost a lot to modify, and it'll seem like less of a deal. Trick bits don't do much if they aren't set up for you. Also since it's an older bike I doubt you'll be up for Yamaha contingency, don't know if you care. I think buying a used race bike is the way to go to get into it though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went ahead and got the bike. I talked him down so I think I got a good deal. The bike is set up for a 180 or 190 lbs rider. I'm about 150 with all my gear on I'd say. I'll be getting the suspension fitted for me soon. Ideally I'd have the suspension be like my 6r, but I doubt it'll be same. I'm heading down to the track before july 4th so maybe I'll get most things sorted out on the bike. I plan on just doing track days and such this year, and the perhaps try racing next summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts