Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 636 was stolen a few months ago (only had liability), so anyway I'm getting to the point where I think I can get a new bike. I've been keeping up on Craigslist and eBay Motors, but it looks like I can get a good deal if I buy out of state on ebay from a dealer. There are a bunch of 2006 CBR1000RR's on ebay selling through dealers with 0 miles that I could pickup for what used 2004's are going for. Normally I would be wary of ebay, but I figure through a dealer should be legit, and with 0 miles theres not much to worry about.

The problem is I'm in California, so if I buy a bike out of state I don't know if I would even be able to register it here. Is this worth it? Shipping I don't think would be more than $400-500 so if being in CA isn't a problem I could get a good deal, but if it's not possible I will keep looking.

Thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
+1 on ebay

i bought my 2004 honda cbr f4i back in may of 05

i live in boston, ma
dealership was in newark, nj (they actually only sold harleys and buells)

this guy traded it in with about 1500 miles

i payed 6 grand at the time where as my friend at the same exact time as well bought a brand new f4i from a local dealer here in ma, he payed about 3 grand more that i did after all the BS fees and such.

i drove down with my dad's cargo van, boston to new jersey was a 4 hour plus ride. i walked in there with 6000 dollars in 100 dollar bills. god what a great feeling it is. so my experience buying a bike off ebay is great.

seeing you live in cali, i doubt u want to drive out of state lol
and plus i didnt deal with a private seller so they would have to arrange all the shipping and that is where it could get twisted.

scout online auctions. ask questions. request more pics. you should be good.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If you are a CA resident and buy a vehicle from another state, there are a few simple rules that may get in your way. If the vehicle does NOT meet CA emissions (49 state only), it must have over 7500 miles on it in order to register it in CA. If it does meet CA emissions (it will state this explicitly on the emissions sticker), you can register it no matter how many miles on the odometer.

If you are moving to CA from another state, you may bring whatever vehicles you own (within reason) with you to CA and register them.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem buying out of state just so long as you are diligent about making sure the paperwork is in order. I bought my wife's FJR out of state (used, even) - flew out on a 1-way ticket to Cleveland, paid the guy, and rode it home. :banana

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Yeah.. shouldn't be a problem but since you are in CA you may have trouble with the emissions guidelines...

I've bought two bikes now from out of state.. one from Dallas Tx. and had it shipped to Cleveland Ohio ($800.00 through JC Motors) and my latest from Lafayette LA, I flew out there on a one way ticket ($200) rented a uhaul ($500) and drove it back home...

The nice thing in my opinion about buying a bike from out of state.. I could just tell them what I paid for the bike when transfering the title.. ohio titles have what you paid for the vehicle stated on them.. so far LA & TX titles don't.. so... $50-$100 bucks suites me just fine for sales tax purposes :)

·
Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty
1,187 Posts
You'll have to pay sales tax on the bike either in the state you buy it in or in CA. If you're financing the bike, pay the tax as part of the purchase price. But, be certain to have paperwork showing that the taxes were paid.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
CaptNemo said:
You'll have to pay sales tax on the bike either in the state you buy it in or in CA. If you're financing the bike, pay the tax as part of the purchase price. But, be certain to have paperwork showing that the taxes were paid
Exactly but if it doesn't state how much you paid you could just tell them 50-100 buck.. taxes (at least in ohio) would be under 10bucks as opposed to telling them you paid 6500 and end up paying hundreds in tax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts