Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on buying my first bike and have a few questions...
Do bike dealerships negotiate like car dealerships do??

Will I save enough money for it to matter by buying a used 02 or 03 rather than an 04 or 05 new?

When is the best time of year to buy a bike (in order to get the best price)?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
Since it is going to be your first bike I would get a used one just because the chances of you dropping it are greater. You should be able to save a decent amount of cash buying a used bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have any ideas on the best time to buy a bike?

End of summer?? Dead of winter??...Thanks

·
old member
13,079 Posts
jmat1980 said:
Anyone have any ideas on the best time to buy a bike?

End of summer?? Dead of winter??...Thanks
A lot depends on the weather where you are. If you get snow and the riding season is over in the fall, prices will be lower at the end of summer or beginning of fall. Prices may be really low in winter, but the selection will be poor as not many will try to sell then. Early spring may be another good time to buy before the weather is consistenly nice.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
If you live in Virginia the best time to buy a bike is in the winter. Sales are slow. That is if you are buying new.

I would recommend you look for a good used bike. www.cycletrader.com is a good place to start looking for stuff in your area. Also, if you buy used, have the bike onced-over by a mechanic before you purchase. If a seller won't knock a few hundred off the price for your own peace of mind then look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No matter where you live the prices are always gonna be the best in the winter. There's 2 reasons for that. One is because dealerships are getting ready to receive the next years models or they have already received them and are still trying to get rid of the previous years models. The second reason is because "riding season" is over in most parts of the country its either snowing or too cold. We dont have that problem here :neener but dealers still discount the bike more in the winter for the 1st reason. On the other hand u have the stealerships that think their shit dont stink and dont discount their prices no matter what time of year it is. I didnt have to wait for the winter I had 1,000 off msrp before the bike even came out. You just have to look around at the right dealers. I had a dealer thats less than 3 minutes away from my house but I passed them on my way to another dealership about 45 minutes away because I saved over $1,000.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You bet they will. Be prepared to get up and leave without the bike. To get my gixxer I went to 4 different shops over the course of about 2 weeks and made it clear to them I was shopping around. Do not be in a hurry. I saved I think $800.00 by shopping. It NEVER hurts to try to talk them down. Try this one too, another time I was buying one, the salesman had paperwork well under way, I asked (as if I fully expected it, it was not even a request) "which helmet are you going to give me so I can ride it home"? He did the "aw shucks you already broke me, I gotta eat too" routine, and offered a 10% discount. I told him no, I thought the least he could do is give me a helmet and if he wouldn't I think I should shop around to see if anyone else will give me one, I don't NEED the bike tonight. He played the let me go talk to the manager game, and I wound up leaving with a $150.00 helmet for free. It just depends on how bad that salesman's baby needs new shoes that week and if they really think you will leave.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you pay cash they will more than likely do anything you want. I'm getting a new 05 SV650S for $5,500, it'll be my first bike and after all the research I did I think it'll be the best bike for me. It's not holly shit fast like a true 600 and has moderate accel. and it's pretty light. I also just like the fact that it's a V-twin not a 4 banger.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Becareful...that bike is alot faster and has alot more power than people think. Its surprising. I didnt believe it until I rode one.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Solid advice folks. These people have done their homework so take what they say to heart!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts