Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so I'm in the market for a new bicycle.

I've been looking at roadbikes, and I finally found the one that I'm going to go with.

It's a 2006 model year Giant OCR-2. I'm going to get it, a light system, a seat bag, a computer, SPD shoes, and a 5 year warranty for about $1100.

Here is a link to the model I'm getting, but I'm getting one that is solid red:
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/3/11473/

Here is a link to a larger picture:
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/3/11473/zoom/

It's a bike that got pretty good reviews, from what I've found. It's a Consumers Digest Best Buy (at least that's what one review said). I figure it's going to be a pretty good bike.

· SBN Noob Sauce
1,058 Posts
I ride an 05 yukon, but have been wanting to get an ocr or maybe even trc for something that rolls a little faster on pavement. Im happy for ya, good choice on the giant. Why dont you spend an extra 200 and get the ocr 1 with the full 105 spec? Or just leave of the extra goodies and spend the same amount.

* doesnt giant offer a lifetime warranty on their frames?*

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, the frame has a lifetime warranty. The five year covers EVERYTHING. Even replacing cassettes from everyday wear and tear.

I was thinking of going with the OCR-1...but I really wanted to get all of the gear to go with it...and the extra couple hundred would make it a bit too much I think. I might check into it though, seeing as the 2007 models just came out so I might be able to get a deal on one going on closeout or something.

· SBN Noob Sauce
1,058 Posts
Yeah I got ripped on my bike I think I paid the msrp and it was an 05 and I bought in the middle of this year. Next time hes cutting me a deal ,or else.

That is a a pretty kick ass warranty then. I can kill me some casettes and chains. I wore my first casette out in like 4 months . thats like 3 a year for me. Sweet.

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, that's what the guy told me. The warranty costs about $80 bucks...but the guy said that if you go through a cassette and a chain every year for the next five, that would be about $500 worth of parts/labor...but with the warranty all of that is covered for no charge.

The only thing the warranty doesn't cover are "rubber" parts...seat, tires, and tape on the bars.

I really like the OCR because of the adjustable bar stem. I have an older Fuji right now, but it's not very comfortable so I don't ride as much as I'd like to.

I think I may end up skipping the light kit for now. I don't know how often I'll really need it. But I know I want the bag and the computer. The Top Flight Computer the guy is selling me hooks to your shifters too, so it tells you what gear you're in.

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn man, now you've got me looking at the OCR-1.

hahahaha...

I originally wanted to spend less than $1k on everything...now it's looking like I might end up spending $1.5k.

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
g34343greg said:
congrats on the bike man. i currently have a Giant Boulder SE(sorta lower end mtb) that i love. don't mean to threadjack, but is it normal for the freewheel assembly and bottom bracket bearings to wear out?

Hmmm...probably after alot of riding. How long have you had it?

· Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Dude, you are worse than a chick! Man up and buy the bike already!!! j/k. Fortunately for me, my ex-wife bought both my bikes as a surprise for me or else I would have been trying to decide forever! Good luck and don't forget to post/pm when you get on "two" wheels!

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
busarider54 said:
Dude, you are worse than a chick! Man up and buy the bike already!!! j/k. Fortunately for me, my ex-wife bought both my bikes as a surprise for me or else I would have been trying to decide forever! Good luck and don't forget to post/pm when you get on "two" wheels!

Hahahhaa...that's funny, because that's the exact same thing the guy at the shop said the other day.

I went in there to write down all the prices of everything, and the guy was like:
"What are you doing?"
I said, "Writing down the prices so I can convince myself to do this."
He said, "Just do it already...you know you're going to, so you might as well get it over with!!"

Hahahhahaha!!!

I'll post pictures of it as soon as I get it.

· THE BIG CHEEZE
2,746 Posts
Cool man! I'm a cannondale guy, I used to race semi professionally and they really take care of you! Bikes can be a little pricey, but before I got into racing hardcore I had an old early 90's cannondale. I went down in a race and broke the frame. They replaced it with a new BIKE. After that the rest was history! :)

I got out of the whole racing bicycle, track bike thing a few years back... but for road riding w/out racing really any bicycle shop special with higher end components should treat you fine.

I need to get back on the bike as my gut grows larger by the week! :)

I'm assuming you are familiar with road riding etc. Make sure the stem and seating position is comfortable. I had an aggressive racing stance which most factory bikes are coming with now, and I found the stem was too short and low. (which was great for racing) but actually enjoying riding nah...

I ended up having prostate problems and back problems... theres a tube in ur pisser that gets squashed after you ride a few hours on a hard seat, or race a hour aggresively... It always bothered me... So much so that it would hurt to piss for 2 days afterwards a big race and my neck and back would be bad for awhile.

Honestly if I had to buy another bike to enjoy riding, I might consider getting a hybrid the road bike IMO after awhile is pretty uncomfortable

~mikeym

· Registered
10,767 Posts
while were on the subject of bicycles does anyone know of a good cyclocross bike to start out on. I want to get something that will be halfway decent to ride and possibly upgrade if I decide to stick w/cycling. I've been looking at a trek XO1 as a starter bike.

Thanks.

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^

I was looking at some cyclocross stuff too.

I'm still not 100% sure on the OCR. I jump back and forth about every other day.

The reason I was looking at cyclocross is because it's got some gear on it that makes it able to go slightly offroad...nothing like a mountain bike, but if you needed to go tearing down a dirt road and then across a field, the cyclocross could probably handle it.

From what I've seen, most entry cyclocross cost about $1200 or so. That seems to be the going rate, and they all seemed to be fairly similar to me.

5,455 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
Hmmm...probably after alot of riding. How long have you had it?
bout 5 years, thousands of miles. i only ride off road a few times a year, living in the city and all. i'm still pretty hard on it though: riding down steps, jumping off curbs, lots of wheelies, bunny hopping that pig off random stuff.
i need to just get a new bike as i also need a new chain, sprockets, tires, grips. i might just get a bike at Dick's- they have some nice bikes with better components than some of the big name manufacturers yet priced hundreds less.

· Registered
1 Posts
bout 5 years, thousands of miles. i only ride off road a few times a year, living in the city and all. i'm still pretty hard on it though: riding down steps, jumping off curbs, lots of wheelies, bunny hopping that pig off random stuff.
i need to just get a new bike as i also need a new chain, sprockets, tires, grips. i might just get a bike at Dick's- they have some nice bikes with better components than some of the big name manufacturers yet priced hundreds less.
Hi, As a newbie I wanna say in order to feel comfortable while riding, find a pair of grips that fit your hand size. Riders who have thin grips may squeeze them too tightly. Larger grips, on the other hand, maybe more difficult for a rider to grasp. Some riders who prefer soft grips will buy them in a larger size and wear them in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts