Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first street bike was a 98 GSXR 600. I later moved on to a TL1000r, and I also have tons of riding time on my buddy's 99 CBR900rr. I also had a harley drag bike. I raced motorcross for about 8 years on two stroke 250's. I also have an 87 Iroc with a 383, 91mm turbo, 18 degree heads, that runs 9.30's in the quarter mile. In a short, I have decent biking skills and I am used to power. This brings me to where I want some opinions....

I am 6'1" 280lbs. I am going to buy a new bike but not too sure what I am going to get yet. I have been leaning towards a k5. I've rode a few already, and the power is fantastic, brakes are absolutely amazing and the handing is really sharp and fast. Over all left me very very impressed. Now I know I am not going to want to do 100% street riding and will see my fair share of track days. This has me thinking I should get a GSXR750 so I can practice getting nice and smooth on the track. I DO plan on going to as many track schools as possible (within a reasonable budget).

Now, am I physically too big for a GSXR750? I know I wasn't too comfy on my 600, but the TL1000 fit like a glove.

I am also thinking I should buy an older 750 as a track bike and get a new 1k to ride on the streets.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
If you go sit on a new 600 and new 1000, they are physically the same size. One will not be more comfortable because it has a b***** engine. If you're going to the track I'd get a 600cc, you will learn more quickly with less power to make up for your mistakes. 100+hp is no joke on the track. The new 6R with the slipper clutch would be my track weapon of choice if I were buying a 600. Also, set at least $1k aside for suspension work, especially since you're a big guy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I am definitly worried about how I am going to set up the suspension. I know it's going to cost me a decent amount of cash but such is life, and I would rather have a bike thats dialed in instead of something not even close to my riding and dangerous.

They are exactly the same size? I wish I had one of them diagrams that shows seating position for a 1k and a 750. Kinda like the ones cycle world uses.

Also quick question about people in other cities... Do you guys find a lot of people that can barely ride on liter bikes? Over here is seems like every where you look there is a liter bike and someone trying to wheelie but is not used to the power.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Well, don't take some guy on the internet's word for it, go to the dealer and sit on the bikes. You will probably find the difference to be negligible.

Throttle control is one thing in a straight line, another altogether when you're leaned waaaaaaaay over. I wouldn't wish a liter bike on any track n00b. It will bite. Hard.

Edit: Perhaps "at least $1k" was a bit exaggerated, you could get a decent setup for a bit less than that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nig said:
Throttle control is one thing in a straight line, another altogether when you're leaned waaaaaaaay over. I wouldn't wish a liter bike on any track n00b. It will bite. Hard.

I understand completely. I know for a fact my motocross track experiance is not going to help me in the corners on the road track. Is there a way to limit the power or at least the sensitivity of the throtle on a 1k so it would be more manageable in the turns? I can't stress how much I like the way the 05 1k rides on the street. I know my safety and other riders safety is a ton more important than having a crazy bike though.

How hard is it to pull a b***** ducatti through the track (not that I can afford one). Is it eisier to control since it is a Vtwin?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I understand your bike lust but what do you really like about the way it rides besides the power? You'll be getting a professionally set up suspension no matter what bike you buy (right?), quick handling is pretty easy to come by it's just about playing with the geometry (less front/more rear ride height)--not that a 600cc should handle slower in the first place, and I'm sure the brakes on a 6 are on par, nothing steel lines and better brake pads couldn't cure either way.

On the other hand, while I haven't heard of anyone doing it here, in Britain where they have graduated licensing it's pretty common to "restrict" a bike's power. Not sure of the details.

I doubt a Ducati would make it much easier on you. It's heavier, but the powerband will be more linear which is a plus. But then again that might not do much for you when it has enough power to spit you off at any RPM.

I'm not telling you what to buy, or that you will definitely crash, but a smaller displacement bike is always the recommendation. They are more forgiving, and allow you to learn more quickly. At any rate, on the track power means even less than it does on the street. Until you get really good you'll have people on 70hp SV650's passing you, there's really no way around it, '05 1k or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do plan on doing the suspension on anything I get. I am used to having to do that already with the dirtbikes.

I really love the feeling of the power on the 1k. I know that same feeling is what would get me in trouble on the track. I also love the styling of the new 1k's. The rear is jsut so beuatiful IMO. I know my 98 600's brkes had NOTHING on how well the brakes are on the 1k. They had a GREAT feel and immense power. I jsut loved the feel of the bike all around, but if I cna make a smaller motor bike feel the same I don't think I would miss the power too much. I got the camaro for that.

I have done one single track day my whole life (street, on 2 wheels) and learned a lot. First free lap I went into a corner too hot, and almost low sided (back tire lost traction so I had to counter steer). I barely saved it, then rode really timid the rest of the day. That was on the 600. I want to get better and have some fun!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think that a 750 would be perfect for your purposes.. My friend is just as big as you and rode my 750 with ease.. Has nothing to do with size of the bike, but power of the engine.. 600 will work for you, but may be a bit sluggish under the weight.. the 750 on the other hand, will be a lil more responsive, and the thousand for the track is too much for someone who has never ridden track before, even someone of your size. 750 has PLENTY of power and is more forgiving than the 1000.. Wont bite AS hard if you misjudge your throttle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. Do you think getting the new 1k for daily riding, and an older 750 for the track would be a good idea, or should I jsut aim for a newer 750?

·
Registered
488 Posts
aim for the newer 750.. the power is with the newer ones, and the insurance on the 1k will killll youuu.. the 750 will serve you well, just as good if not better for your purposes than the 1000, but thats just my opinion..good luck :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
nig said:
Aim for a 600. Sluggish, yeah right.
Under almost 300 pounds.. yea sluggish.. i didnt say SLOW..it wont seem as light as bike with a larger engine will..If you've ever ridden 2up on a 600 with two people totaling almost 300 pounds, you would have noticed it being a lil slower, than riding alone..By no means slower, but it takes a lil more wrist, which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

You said you were lookin at a 750, so I assumed it was either the 750 or the 1000...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it is safe to say I am looking at a 750 or 100. I doubt I will get a 600 unless I can get a brand new one for like 5k :). so basically not gonna happen.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
the 750 gets my vote

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
The K5 gsxr has a smaller, more compact rider position than a 02-03' 750/1000. If it's size you're worried about I'd steer clear of the 05 gixxers.

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
+1

Your question should be am I physically too big for the 1000K5. The 750 is definitely roomier for your dimensions.

Not to mention more forgiving on the racetrack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts