Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wondering if anyone has experience with buying a bike that does not have a title . Also if the bill of sale is anything more then a written up recite

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
get a title.....until it is registered in your name with a title you don't own it

·
old member
13,079 Posts
It all depends on why the title is missing and whether there is current registration. If the seller isn't the clear owner or if the lienholder can't produce the title, forget it. If the seller has owned the bike for many years, the bike has current registration showing NO lienholder and the seller as registered owner, and the seller will cooperate, you can usually get a duplicate title. You could ask the seller to get the title first if that's a concern.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
spicciani said:
This is a good example of what I’m thinking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Ninja-EX-99-Kawasaki-EX-500-Ninja-No-Title-Low-Reserve_W0QQitemZ120016139346QQihZ002QQcategoryZ50019QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. I just realized that the title of this thread is missing the word without
Sounds like the seller bought the bike after a crash, doesn't know too much about bikes, and decided he didn't want it or bought it with the intention of re-selling it. It also sounds like the registration (if any) isn't in the seller's name and he only has a bill of sale. I'd pass especially since the bike and bill of sale are in NY and you're in MI. That could be a paperwork nightmare.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went through hell and back trying to register a Jeep I bought that had no title.

Spent 3 months dealing with the DMV and finally ended up donating the Jeep to a church to get rid of the headache.

All transactions were in the same state...I could not even begin to explain the hassle you could run in to dealing with multiple states and DMVs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats for the the advise , i think ill stay away from a titleless motorcycle unless i marry someone who works at the title company.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
spicciani said:
im wondering if anyone has experience with buying a bike that does not have a title . Also if the bill of sale is anything more then a written up recite
save yourself alot of pain in ass and get a title with the purchase, check the VIN #'s on the bike against the title.. do this when you buy something new or used... KUN

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bike without a title.

A salvage title, however, is NOT a bad idea if you'll be using the bike for track use. I've seen a lot of salvage title bikes that were totalled by an insurance company with purely cosmetic damages but are perfect mechanically. Ask any club racer (which I am not), 75% of those guys are riding around on sweet, newer bikes that have salvage titles. They plan on throwing track fairings on anyway so the expensive factory plastics mean nothing to them.

My bike has a salvage title and cost me $1500 less than I would have paid otherwise. I ride the bike on the street and the track both and will have no trouble selling the bike for a reasonable price later if I so choose. Most likely, I'll never sell the bike, it will just become a dedicated track bike when I decided to get something else.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Pass on it!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I had the same issue. I checked with MVD here in AZ and they told me I would have to get a class 3 inspection of the bike and that costs $50. Then you pay the usuall reg fees based on the year/value of the bike if it passes the inspection.

I still want to talk to an actuall inspector 1st...before I pull the tr*****.

·
Registered
1 Posts
question how did u get the bike regestered and how much did it cost can u email me with an answer at [email protected]
I wouldn't buy a bike without a title.

A salvage title, however, is NOT a bad idea if you'll be using the bike for track use. I've seen a lot of salvage title bikes that were totalled by an insurance company with purely cosmetic damages but are perfect mechanically. Ask any club racer (which I am not), 75% of those guys are riding around on sweet, newer bikes that have salvage titles. They plan on throwing track fairings on anyway so the expensive factory plastics mean nothing to them.

My bike has a salvage title and cost me $1500 less than I would have paid otherwise. I ride the bike on the street and the track both and will have no trouble selling the bike for a reasonable price later if I so choose. Most likely, I'll never sell the bike, it will just become a dedicated track bike when I decided to get something else.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
question how did u get the bike regestered and how much did it cost can u email me with an answer at [email protected]
You realize this thread is over 4 years old. Any resemblance to today's world is purely coincidental. :)

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
You realize this thread is over 4 years old. Any resemblance to today's world is purely coincidental. :)
What is up with all these recent massive revivals?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts