Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you were selling a bike that you owned, you would have a title. If you didn't have the title because you lost it, you would go to the DMV/MVA/BMV or whatever, and get a new one printed up. Otherwise, you can't get shit for the bike. You are selling the bike to get money, right? Well why sell a $4k bike for $1k if all you have to do is go get a title reprinted for $5 or $10?

It's so convenient that he got it from a guy that didn't have a title. That means HE didn't steal it, that other guy did. What was his name again......?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
not sure how many times i need to repeat that he has (and now i have a copy) a T-22B form filled out by his local police department showing that the VIN is not stolen

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wait just a min... I am currently dealing with some hellified issues because the title of my current bike had one of the vin numbers missing. Its been more than a month and I just got the plate for the bike today. Suppose you buy this bike... are you planning to ride this thing on the street at all? How the hell are you going to get plates if you don't have a title? If you don't have plates, how can you ride it on the streets? Say you'll have some bootleg plates or something... at some point, a cop is going to pull you over. Then, how are you going to explain the situation?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
reading comprehension: C-

"bought it last night for $350, told him if/when he gets the title i'll give him another $150... Worse comes to worse I can part it out..."

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It's cheap because its worthless
No, not necessarily true. The sum of alot of sportbikes parts far outweigh their whole. A couple seasons ago, I bought a titled parts bike to supplement the restore of my current project. After I harvested everything I needed, I little by little sold off everything else on a brand specific forum and craigslist. All told, I got all my parts for free and profited a little.

Hell, the engine(if good) alone on his R6 could most likely recoup 85% of his initial cost. Stupid little bits here and there like cable harness, wheels, etc will easily build up to PROFIT.

I'm half tempted to make a side hobby out of buying and parting out busted ass sportbikes.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
I buy lots of stuff to work on, i like projects. I just bought a "pos" bmw e30 for $600, did some electrical wor and cleaned it up - just sold it last week for $1800.

I just bought it last night for $350, told him if/when he gets the title i'll give him another $150. But yeah, it is beat to crap, but hey, i've got plenty of time to work on it while I wait for a title. Seems to run well though. Worse comes to worse I can part it out although there's not much in good shape besides the engine lol.

Sorry that I asked for advice and didn't take it even though every one of you said stay away... maybe I'll fix it and sell it enough for your ocean front property :D
$350 aint bad however if he couldnt get the title for himself-he wont get it for you-but you never know. He might need $150 and shit one out.

So you gonna post some pics? Im curious to see it. Mein has a bike like that-is he still here or did he get himself banned again?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think you need to check your moral compass or lack there of. If the bike was never reported stolen and the previous owners didn't sell it with a title, then the only reason could be that it has a lean on it and was never paid off. I would not want to be associate with that bike in any way.

You will never get a title.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
See here is where being different counts. I like to do all that. Buy stuff repair/replace it and take pride in my work. There are ALOT of bikers that cannot even change their own oil much less find a deal because they are not mechanically inclined to look for certain flaws. So despite the title issue-I give you kudos in just piecing the shit back together while others "just ride it".

Thanks for contributing and offering pics-SBN classic. Been kinda boring lately with alotta "not sportbike" related.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
tank, forks, rims, brakes, engine, blue plastics, blinkers, pegs, etc should get you into the black on this bike. Aluminum recyclers for the frame?

The DMV knows if there's a lien on it, but I'm not sure if they'll tell you since you're not the owner. I've had them tell me who the owner is (in both IN and KY). Personally I'd start breaking it up right away, you'll never get this thing registered so why put effort in that you'll just have to undo.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well the bike is bought,

But my general message to new riders, they need to ride and not be down all the time dealing with fixer uppers.

My asessment , that bike is a basket case, the guy should have paid him money to haul it off.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you found the last owner? If so find them and go to the local county clerks office and have them print you out a new title. It really is that simple in the state of tn or it was when I lived there.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Sigh..$350 you can do anything with that bike. You can create a stunting cage and stunt it (You dont need a title for that). You can put the fairings back on and make it a track only bike (you dont need a title for that) You can part it out and actually build something using the drive train (you dont need a title for that)
Think wide and think realistically. People spend $350 just getting their bikes tuned up by a mechanic because they cannot do it.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
my .02 if he is so close to getting a title. wait a week and see what happens. He should expect anyone to buy without a title if he is being legit.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sigh..$350 you can do anything with that bike. You can create a stunting cage and stunt it (You dont need a title for that). You can put the fairings back on and make it a track only bike (you dont need a title for that) You can part it out and actually build something using the drive train (you dont need a title for that)
Think wide and think realistically. People spend $350 just getting their bikes tuned up by a mechanic because they cannot do it.
Where are you going to stunt it? You can't ride it anywhere on the street. People who pay $350 for a bike to stunt aren't going to have a trailer to haul it somewhere. I would have saved my money and bought a bike that is legit.

Some people spend $350 to have their bikes tuned up because they can afford it and don't want to do it, not because they can't. The older I get, the less I want to work on my vehicles.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts