Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this sounds sketchy, but the cheapness in me wants to hope this will work with out much problems.

I found a '00 yfz 600r for $1000, but it has no fairings or head light and worst of all, no title. The guy said that he was working on getting a lost title and has done a good bit of the paper work but needs to sell it to pay some bills ect.

He said he has done the paper work from his local police station showing it hasn't been reported stolen. He also did the paper work for a title search and has the contact info of the last person to register it. He said the final step is just to pay like $8 to file for a lost title.

Anyone done this before? I'm in TN (bike is in GA), where would I look to see what my state's lost tile procedure is?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey Im inTN too (sevierville to be exact) I wouldnt mess with it if you want my opinion. there have been a lot of bikes on CL thats a great price but NO TITLE :( . They dont have a title for a reason. Unless you had a frame with a good title I wouldnt mess with it. Call your local DMV and ask them how to go about it, but its gonna cost a lot. Hate to burst the buble but I'd pass as well. sorry.

·
Registered
695 Posts
No f'n way! I'll even pass if the title isn't clear. You wouldn't believe all the title jumping that goes on here in Florida. If they are to cheap to pay the taxes, then they are to cheap to perform routine maintenance.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
There's really not a lot of legitimate reasons somebody can be selling a vehicle with NO title.

Lost your copy? Request a new one from the DMV.
Wrecked or salvage? Where is the salvage or rebuilt title?
Track bike? Why the hell didn't the person you bought it from have a title?

Only reasons I can think of that there is NO title is either stolen, or never paid off. I guess it could be a chain of monumentally lazy owners where a buyer at one point just never got the title from the seller, but in that case, why the hell wouldn't the current owner track it down? After all, how are you riding it around with a valid plate and registration with no title?

I love when I see these sellers on craigslist that post with "no title, don't ask! I won't respond if you ask about the title!". Well hmm, if it was half-way legit, don't you think you should at least specify whats the deal?

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Before you know it you will be walking around with a paper bag filled with hamburgers saying "I got these hamburgers I'll suck yo prick if you help me get a title".

Trust me and everyone else. It aint worth it.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Unless you plan on building a track only bike; pass.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Before you know it you will be walking around with a paper bag filled with hamburgers saying "I got these hamburgers I'll suck yo prick if you help me get a title".

Trust me and everyone else. It aint worth it.
Actually, it's cheeseburgers. :lol

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
More problems than it will be worth in the long run. Take a pass on this one. Lost title probably has a lien on it...

Plus crossing state lines is only going to deepen the shit you have to wade through.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It's cheap because its worthless. Probably a bike that has been stolen crashed ect.

It isnt worth $1000 , Sub $500 if it would be a decent track bike for someone, maybe .

if you want a cheap bike, find some older VFR's that have been garage kept by middle aged normal people. These are big milege motors.

Never buy bikes From Goobs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He said he bought it with out a title from a guy who stunts (which is why it has no fairings or head light) with plans to fix it and sell it with a title. He hasn't been riding it and its not registered/has no plate.

Could it really still be stolen even if he has paper work from the police station showing that the vin checks out and showing the name and address of the last person to title it?

I talked to him some more and got him down to $550... I'm not trying to ignore all your advice, it just seems so hard to pass up...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If it was easy to get a title why doesn't he do it and sell the bike for twice as much ??
Because he found out he can't get title !!!and wants to bail out

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I talked to him some more and got him down to $550... I'm not trying to ignore all your advice, it just seems so hard to pass up...
So he lowered the price $450 because he didn't want to go to the DMV and pay $8.00 to "do the last step to get a title?" Yeah, that's legit.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's about the dumbest goddam thing I've ever heard of. On both sides.

·
Registered
695 Posts
He said he bought it with out a title from a guy who stunts (which is why it has no fairings or head light) with plans to fix it and sell it with a title. He hasn't been riding it and its not registered/has no plate.

Could it really still be stolen even if he has paper work from the police station showing that the vin checks out and showing the name and address of the last person to title it?

sucker:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
i know people who have bought a brand new bike from the dealership but never got it titled

used it for track purposes only

they still have a bill of sale though proving it was bought from a dealership

·
Registered
695 Posts
i know people who have bought a brand new bike from the dealership but never got it titled

used it for track purposes only

they still have a bill of sale though proving it was bought from a dealership
Right, they are doing it to avoid paying sales tax on it. If it's never registered, then you don't pay tax. I want a title for any bike I buy, track or not.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
OP, after you pick up that Yamaha for $550 I have some ocean front proprty in Montana I've been looking to sell. Since you seem nice, I'll let you have it cheap.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Doesnt matter what the reason for the guy selling the bike is. Plain fact is that he does not have the title in hand. If its really only $8 for the final paperwork to get the title have him do it. If he gets the title to the bike its a different story. As for paying off bills.... $8 for the last little bit of paper work is less than your average fast food meal these days. You are the ultimate sucker if you go through with the sale. Take your $1,000 and apply it to something that you know you are not going to get screwed on. Also a stunt bike? Are you nutz? From the sound of it that bike was beat to hell and back. Just that would make 90% of normal riders run the opposite direction.

If money is really that tight then a bike right now is just not for you. The maintenance to properly keep it up will be more than it sounds like you are looking to spend. Take into consideration other factors other than the purchase price. Ie..... If I sold you a bike that was worth 5K for $4,200 you might think your getting a good price. Now let me tell you that it needs a new chain and sprockets $260, tires $400 including mounting & balancing and break job $220 front and rear breaks. Thats $880 for 3 simple things. Your good deal just went right out the window. The last thing you want to do is start off with something that needs a "little work". If you do decide to go this route your ALWAYS going to end up in the hole. Your cheep bike is still going to be cheep even after you fix it all up, which will cost you $$$.

Think smart and get something that is ready to ride in good condition. Even if you have to pay a little extra for it. If you find a good used bike that has a "minor" oil leak and the seller says oh that nothing... I'll knock off $100 for it RUN!!! Dont get stuck paying good money to take over someone problem bike.

Ultimately if you want to be a cheep ass there are ways in order to save money. Buying POS bikes and cars to save some money ultimately in the long run will cost you more!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I buy lots of stuff to work on, i like projects. I just bought a "pos" bmw e30 for $600, did some electrical wor and cleaned it up - just sold it last week for $1800.

I just bought it last night for $350, told him if/when he gets the title i'll give him another $150. But yeah, it is beat to crap, but hey, i've got plenty of time to work on it while I wait for a title. Seems to run well though. Worse comes to worse I can part it out although there's not much in good shape besides the engine lol.

Sorry that I asked for advice and didn't take it even though every one of you said stay away... maybe I'll fix it and sell it enough for your ocean front property :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts