Sport Bikes banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
automaticj5 said:
I am not sure really but.. can you get insured and licensed without a title?
you can definitely get insurance w/o a title. actually you can insure any old random car/bike you want w/o ever proving that it is yours...

on to the main topic - the only problem i see with this scenario is what will happen if you get a parking ticket or something? at what point will they just impound the bike? also, if you ever get your bike towed or something you can never prove you own it.

from my understanding the original owner can go to the DMV and request a duplicate title. those usually cost less than $100 and will probably be worth paying for but considering that the original owner is probably nowhere to be found you probably wont get it.

basically, i would pick this bike up if you like it and if you are willing to lose it. if you are not willing to part with your $600 then look for a legitimate bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don't do it, stay away.

I bought a 69' Mach1 Mustang off a guy who was movin to Cali. I got a good deal on it before it hit the WantAds and I picked it up. He neglected to mention he didn't have the title on hand when I bought it. After the deal was done, he said that he would get a new title from the registry and sign it over to me. We made a bill of sale and he gave me his old registration as proof of ownership.

Well long story short, he takes off to Cali. I never get a title. It's such a pain in the ass that I end up dumping the car and taking a big loss on it cause I don't have a title.

·
www.fixedfocus.us
2,145 Posts
You cant register a bike without proof of ownership. Most states use a title as proof and some use the previous registration when transfering ownership. If you dont have either one, techinically the bike isnt yours. I havent heard of any insurance company that will insurance anything you cant prove you own. Even if they did, and you had to file a claim, the claim would go to the proveable owner, which isnt you. If the bike is over 15 years old, in this case it isnt, you can get a title for a non titled vehicle by using services of a dealer in a state that doesnt require titling. I did this on my first bike. Cost me $100 I think. Georgia is one of those states, how if the bike is under 15 years old, your SOL. So the most you could use the bike for legally is the track. Trust me, dont get caught on the road with an untitled bike.... I would stay away unless you could get it for $100....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts