Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:feedback hey, i found out a guy i work with has a 94 kawasaki ex250 that he wants to get rid of. he said there's nothing wrong with it other than the fact that he doesn't have the title, its gone through 2-3 owners without the title. he wants only $500 for it. i haven't checked it out yet, but if he's right and there's nothing wrong with it that's a helluva deal. even if it needs a little work i'd gladly pay that and just resell it when the work is done. however, like i said there is no title. how hard is this to get around? how do i get a new title for a bike (if it's not stolen obviously)? thanks guys.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I am not sure really but.. can you get insured and licensed without a title?

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't know. i'm not keeping the bike for me (i already have a gixxer600). i'm just looking at it as possibly a nice little project and a way to earn a couple bucks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
eh, I wouldnt worry to much about it then... just double your money... As you know it will be a little harder to sell if you cant get a title though..

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
You need a note from the seller that the title is lost. Apply for a new title, pay for all of that. check if its stolen and do all that crap. It may take a while to get the title.

automaticj5 said:
I am not sure really but.. can you get insured and licensed without a title?

No

·
Registered
687 Posts
ya.. I didnt think so...

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZxHunteR said:
You need a note from the seller that the title is lost. Apply for a new title, pay for all of that. check if its stolen and do all that crap. It may take a while to get the title.
alright, now lets say i buy it, apply for a new title, and find out the bike is stolen. does it come back on me then?

·
cheekybeast
1,557 Posts
get the vin number, check with a friendly police officer or something

BEFORE you get title.

i bet you cant get a title if its stolen anyways

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheekybeast said:
get the vin number, check with a friendly police officer or something

BEFORE you get title.

i bet you cant get a title if its stolen anyways
well hmm, i'm wondering if any of the friendly officers on the board could help me, or would i have to check with a local officer?

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Thats a 'what if'

The likelyhood of a 250 being stolen is low. If it is stolen, and you have a bill of sale it shouldnt be pinned on you. I wouldnt be too worried about the legal woes so much as working out all the crap to pay to get the title in your name.

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ZxHunteR said:
Thats a 'what if'

The likelyhood of a 250 being stolen is low. If it is stolen, and you have a bill of sale it shouldnt be pinned on you. I wouldnt be too worried about the legal woes so much as working out all the crap to pay to get the title in your name.
ok, well every bill of sale i've dealt with has been on the back of the title... so can i print one online or something?

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
sexybikerpimp said:
ok, well every bill of sale i've dealt with has been on the back of the title... so can i print one online or something?

I had the guy write a bill of sale for mine on a piece of printing paper. And it didnt have a title.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Just beware, in some states the penalty fee of not re-titling the bike after sale can be VERY high, and increases every month during this period. Then, sometimes they charge you the title transfer fee of all previous owners. Then, it's usually about 110 bucks to get a title made/recovered.

So it's gonna be about 500 bucks, more than likely. This is usually the case with things like this...

Like i said- it depends on the state, of course. Some are really nice. Like, in Michigan, it's never more than 30 bucks to transfer a title, no matter how long it's been (not including tax). In indiana they charge you out the ass. It's a total pain. Plus, registration in indiana is obscene.

I dunno- check around to make sure it's not stolen, then check with one of those companies that will take care of the title, or your dmv may do it.

It's never simple. I try to avoid it...

Good luck!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds like more of a headache than anything. I think if it does turn out to be stolen you may not be charged with the crime but I am pretty sure the original owner could get the bike back no matter how much you put into it fixing it up, thereby losing all monies you spent buying/fixing.

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
It all depends where you live. I know in certain states you only need a bill of sale and if it comes back not stolen they let you register it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Go to ebay, find a ex250 frame with a clean title, swap the part to the frame with the title and there you go.

I did that with my first bike, brought one, for $100. bent frame and salvage title. He had all new body parts and whatever that needed to be replaced. I went on to ebay, found clean frame and did the work. Took me 3 day to do everything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts