Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 92 ZX7, that has been sitting for atleast 5yrs, that appears to be in great shape cosmetically. Allegedly it turns over and starts, now I have absolutely knowledge about this particular bike so other than the obvious what are some things I should look for when I inspect the bike vefore buying. Price of this bike is also ridiculously cheap and is why I am considering buying it.

I figure it'll need tires, chain/sprockets, oil change, coolant flush, carb rebuilds, fuel tabk cleaned out, replace fuel lines/filter, and possibly plugs and wires. These items plusba good detailing should make it a good performing bike for pretty cheap.

Attachments

·
Vampire
594 Posts
Check the inside of fuel tank, make sure there is no rust inside.

If there is still fuel (probably turned into varnish by now), avoid that bike unless you want to re-seal the tank or get a replacement tank..

Not sure if ZX-7R have fuel pump or not, but if there is rust in tank, most likely you will need to replace the fuel pump and filter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if there is still fuel in the tank I will have to reseal it? I'm assuming this is because the varnished fuel would have eaten away at it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got some info on the bike, it has had gas sitting in it for about the last 2yrs and it has 116k miles. Definitely not a bike that I'll be able to fix up and flip for a profit so I'm gonna leave it with the current owner.

·
Registered
475 Posts
hoover-tube zx7's have a cult-like following. I'd buy it if it really was 'ridiculously cheap'. If nothing else, you could part it out pretty easily and probably make more money than if you tried to fix it up/flip it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ridiculously cheap was $500, I was going to buy it but they raised the price to $1500(friend of a friend selling) so I'm not even gonna bother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts