Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys. im in the market for a new car.

i love caddys. this is the one that im pretty set on.

2005 cadillac deville.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

KBB has it retailing at 12,500

under 10k and it looks solid.

im going to straight up make payments on it. i have pretty solid credit but just in case i can get a co signer if its not up to their standards.

am i definitely going to have put down say 5 percent in order to get it or is it possible to walk out of a dealership without a down payment?

this is my first car in my 6 years of driving that is not some used POS car. my r1 was stolen this past summer so i hope im due something nice.

thanks

pat

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nice car, I've had a few Caddys, but they were older ones.
You might want to look into recalls/complaints etc.. on that car. The 32v Northstar engines in those have had a lot of failures. There's a lot of '90s Cadillacs in peoples yards with blown engines that cost huge bucks to rebuild. They seem to let go after 100K miles, cylinder liner seals fail and the oil and coolant mix together and waste the engine.
Damn shame, it's a nice car otherwise.
GM may have addressed the problem in the later engines, but I don't know. You should look into it.
I went with the Lincoln Town Car this time. ( 2000 model) The 4.6l V8/AOD tranny combo is pretty bullet-proof and the rear drive/full frame construction makes it great for towing trailers. So far it's been great.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Don't rent the car from the bank. Buy it when you can afford it.

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
you're 22 and you want a 2005 deville? Does anyone else think that sounds strange?
What's wrong with that? I'm 27 and have a love affair for Lincolns. They're comfortable, roomy, and usually pull down almost the same fuel economy as the eco-piles.

I'm actually looking at a Mark VIII LSC right now, to replace my Mark VII LSC SE. 300whp and 25+mpg in a car that you can drive without pain all day? Count me in!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
KBB has a three year-old Deville, with less than 10,000 miles, at $12,500?

Damn. I'm used to depreciation but Jesus - that's what, 75% percent depreciation in 36-40 months? If the original owner had set that much money on fire it might still be keeping him warm this winter.

People get stupid with money and cars. And SAHTT is right - never borrow money to own a depreciating asset. Actually having money > looking like you do.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
What's wrong with that? I'm 27 and have a love affair for Lincolns. They're comfortable, roomy, and usually pull down almost the same fuel economy as the eco-piles.

I'm actually looking at a Mark VIII LSC right now, to replace my Mark VII LSC SE. 300whp and 25+mpg in a car that you can drive without pain all day? Count me in!
There is nothing wrong with that, but considering that this is a sportbike forum I would assume that people would be into other types of cars. If you're into overweight cars and understeer, and you like having 300hp just to move just as fast as a smaller, lighter car with the 1/3 of the hp. By all means go for it. I just prefer smaller, lighter, better handling cars. Exactly how I like my bikes, which is why I don't have a harley.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that, but considering that this is a sportbike forum I would assume that people would be into other types of cars. If you're into overweight cars and understeer, and you like having 300hp just to move just as fast as a smaller, lighter car with the 1/3 of the hp. By all means go for it. I just prefer smaller, lighter, better handling cars. Exactly how I like my bikes, which is why I don't have a harley.
You assume wrong. My bike is for speed and fun, my car is for comfort. I've got a chrysler 300 as my daily driver. I see cars more as a comfortable and luxurious way of travel, and couldn't care less about speed. We all know (most) cars can't compare to bikes in handling and speed, so why bother?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Very poor choice in a car !!! I have heard people have nothing but problems with the newer cads
I would investagate some of the Caddy forums
That add has 77,000 miles excess milage for a 2005

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
you're 22 and you want a 2005 deville? Does anyone else think that sounds strange?
Maybe in the 1980s or early 90s it would, but not now. Cadillacs are actually desirable again.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
KBB has a three year-old Deville, with less than 10,000 miles, at $12,500?

Damn. I'm used to depreciation but Jesus - that's what, 75% percent depreciation in 36-40 months? If the original owner had set that much money on fire it might still be keeping him warm this winter.

People get stupid with money and cars. And SAHTT is right - never borrow money to own a depreciating asset. Actually having money > looking like you do.
Looking through the cars.com ads for the same year, make, and model I'm seeing a median price of about $17,000 overall, and about $22,000 for one with low mileage like that. Given that the original MSRP was about $49,000, that's a depreciated value of 35% overall and 45% for one with low miles.

That's not good for the original owner, but it's great for a used car buyer. They're actually pretty good cars, but suffered horrible depreciation because Cadillac changed their styling and mostly moved to RWD.

For that car at that price, he should jump all over it. Contrary to what people say in their internet stories, the real numbers show that it's a solid car: 2005 Cadillac DeVille J.D. Power Quality Ratings, Consumer Reviews & Warranties

As a side note, most cars yield a resale value after 5 years of anywhere from 25% to 50% of their original price.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
You assume wrong. My bike is for speed and fun, my car is for comfort. I've got a chrysler 300 as my daily driver. I see cars more as a comfortable and luxurious way of travel, and couldn't care less about speed. We all know (most) cars can't compare to bikes in handling and speed, so why bother?
A chrysler 300 is quite a bit different than a Deville, in so many ways it's not even remotely comparable.

I know most cars cannot compete with bikes by sheer performance numbers, but driving a car is a different experience than riding a bike. I like both equally well.

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
My cars are work and family transportation. I am a bit of a car buff, and would LOVE a 5-series BMW, but it isn't in my price range. So, I go for what is.

Besides, I have the equivalent to a Ferrari F-40 sitting 10 feet away from the car. If it's nice enough to enjoy a hot car, would it not be nice enough to roll out the bike? Guess which one I'm going to take! :banana

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
A chrysler 300 is quite a bit different than a Deville, in so many ways it's not even remotely comparable.

I know most cars cannot compete with bikes by sheer performance numbers, but driving a car is a different experience than riding a bike. I like both equally well.
It's still over weight and underpowered by the terms you had listed earlier. The 300 is a pig! My 5.0 LSC womps on those things with ease, let alone the later-model Mark VIII LSC with the 4.6DOHC.

Throw a loaded 300 Hemi C in the ring against a Caddy CTS-V and watch the monkey-stomping begin! Very close price range, very different performance.

Mmmmm..... CTS-V.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts