Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 3rd track day is coming up on 7/23. Can't wait. It will be my second time at this track so I am looking forward to seeing my times improve.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest a barometer for judging if a rear tire will qualify for a track day. My fiancee is having her 2nd track day with me and her rear tire is getting closer to the wear bar. It still has at least 2-3mm until the wear bar is up in the middle, but plenty of tread on the side (she commutes to work and wear the middle up faster). Just wondering if anyone has any advice... I don't have much time now to change her rear but also don't want her to miss out on track time.

thanks!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would be reuctant to pass the bike as you describe it, unless we are talking about a slow group rider, and I would require the bike be re-teched after the AM sessions before I sent it back out on the track for the afternoon sessions. If the wear was excessive by then, I would ask the rider to see the tire vender and have a new tire mounted. Tires are too critical for me to cut corners on tech/safety requirements.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the feedback Eyespy...

My girlfriend is in the novice group and this is only her second track day. I don't think she will push that hard. hmm... I suppose worst case scenario we just see what the inspectors say at the track and if we have to get a new tire there we will.

These track days are making me want to get second rear wheels for both mine and her bikes. That way we don't run down the middle of our nice tires commuting and leave a bunch of sticky tread on the sides.

·
Registered
910 Posts
redcbrla said:
thanks for the feedback Eyespy...

These track days are making me want to get second rear wheels for both mine and her bikes. That way we don't run down the middle of our nice tires commuting and leave a bunch of sticky tread on the sides.
You're welcome. Extra wheels is the way to go. What would really be cool would be if one of these days we meet at a track day. Willow Springs is not that far from you... :cheers

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eyespy said:
You're welcome. Extra wheels is the way to go. What would really be cool would be if one of these days we meet at a track day. Willow Springs is not that far from you... :cheers

I like the price of the MTC Track Days, but it looks like all of them are on weekdays. That makes it kind of tough with my schedule. But I would like to ride Willow Springs one of these days. I will make sure I post up whenever I sign up for a track day up there to see if fellow SBNers can join. It would be cool to meet some of the folks from the board.

·
Registered
910 Posts
That would be great. Our track days are on Tuesdays and Wenesdays. I midweek break on the track is the perfect thing to bust up the work monotony. Also, no track entry fees mid-week, and we can get the track for less money, which is reflected in the cost to do the trackday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts