Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty long so read if you're bored. :flipa

What a fun day. I'm definitely hooked. Now I need to buy a beater truck so I can go more often!!!

My report.
Got to the track at 7 AM, set up real quick, went through tech/gear inspection and riders meeting. We were on the track around 10. (guessing)
It was divided in 3 groups, A, B and C. C being the begineer/slow group. I would say around 60-70 bikes, one control rider for every 6-10 bikes on the track. Plenty of help around the track and real friendly staff from TI2TT. The control riders from TI2TT were real professional and offered help to anyone that needed it. First sessions before lunch were going to be sighting laps (Group C only), that meant following the control rider at a safe pace so we could learn the lines. We would follow in a line and after one lap, the person behind the control rider would move aside and the next one would move up a spot, that way we all got to ride behind the control rider atleast once.
Funny side story: First session, I moved to the side after the lap and I was waiting for the last rider to pass so I can get back in line, I look and there's one more bike so I'm waiting for it to pass, I look again and it turns out he was a sweeper DOH! He signals to me to go ahead, at this point I get a lil nervous because the rest of the bikes were gone. I wasn't about to try to play catch up so I pretty much crawled around (still wasn't to familiar with the track) I guess the sweeper saw that I wasn't picking the right lines, so he got in front and tapped his tail (meaning follow my line) I followed his line and got through the first session without an incident and with a better understanding of the lines for this track. The sweeper later stopped and chatted with me, offering his help and everything. Real nice guy, hardcore rider too, he didn't have a left hand, instead he had some kind of prosthetic held on to the left clipon.

After lunch we were allowed open track time. By then we were a little more familiar with the lines and I got most of the butterflies out of the way. I kept reminding myself to be SMOOTH and wasn't really worried about being fast. (lot of riders passed me :lao ) I recently started trying to hang off the bike a lil and the track was a perfect place to try this. I didn't/wasn't trying to touch knee, but it felt pretty close on a few of the turns. That felt REALLY good, just felt like I was making some progress in a relatively safe manner. I was concentrating on picking the right lines and the right speed, trying to learn the curves, and before I knew it I got lower than I've ever been. Check out a pic of my tire, I'm not trying to use this as a meter to show how good or fast I am, I was just surprised to see that I almost got rid of all my strips. WOW...there's not substitute for the track, not even the twisties.....I'm so hooked!

I think the only concern for the track officials was the fact that a few people were lying about their experience. There were definitely some racers out there just trying to take advantage of the $50 track day. I personally didn't have a problem with this, but I heard some were complaining about slow riders. Guess they forgot it was meant to be a beginner track day.

The day before my trackday, I was told 11 people were told to go home after the first sessions. (for passing on the inside around turns and zig zagging through the noobs) When confronted they admitted to being racers....eventually they got kicked out...mostly due to their attitude and riding. Nobody got kicked out the day I went. I did see one guy from cobra racing...he was riding in the fast group...lapping people, on one of the runs, I see him coming out of a lean into the straightaway and brings it up on one wheel and proceeds to pass everyone in between. He ended up getting black flagged and one of the control riders eventually caught up to him and had a talk with him.

There were a few things here and there, but I think it was a pretty smooth trackday for the organizers.
As far as the riding went, there were A LOT of saves from people off roading. Two riders did go down, one was a minor lowside and the other a relatively minor highside. I came around the turn and the guy was already up and throwing his gloves on the ground. They ended up taking him to the hospital. (to check him out I think)
With the exception of the few accidents, I think most had a great time!

I could see why so many people become track junkies. All I can think about now is the next trackday.

CLiff notes: Track FUN! Concentrate on smooth, NOT fast.

Attachments

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Get rid of those crappy dunlop 218's and you'll experience a WHOLE different side of the track. It just gets better and better. :D

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
Get rid of those crappy dunlop 218's and you'll experience a WHOLE different side of the track. It just gets better and better. :D
+1

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
hey where are you from spy, i live in bakersfield and buttonwillow is near me.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
XxIcEmAnxX said:
hey where are you from spy, i live in bakersfield and buttonwillow is near me.
Sup Dude, I'm in San Dawg and I will be at the track tommorrow, fo sho!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Spy, I am wondering if I met you, I was one of the TI2TT control riders on the 3rd, and an MTC control rider/instructor on the 2nd.

Have you checked out the pics Kent took? They're on the palomarpics.net website.

This was me:

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
All you southern California guys should take a road trip north, and hit up T-Hill on Aug. 22nd. :cheers

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eyespy said:
Spy, I am wondering if I met you, I was one of the TI2TT control riders on the 3rd, and an MTC control rider/instructor on the 2nd.

Have you checked out the pics Kent took? They're on the palomarpics.net website.

This was me:

Not sure if we met, but I'm pretty sure I saw you. All the control riders I saw were great....real professional and FAST! I saw the pictures, they came out great.....too bad they're only from the first few sessions though. I started feeling more relaxed in the later sessions. You on the other hand look very relaxed....nice pictures!

It was hot, but damn was it fun! Thank you guys for making my first trackday such a good experience.
You know the control rider I mentioned, whats his name? He was real cool, talked to him for a minute but I could already tell if I needed help I could ask him....very nice....Thank him for me. Also met Freddi, another real cool TI2TT control rider, took the time to go out on the track with me to show me the correct line.

Overall, I had a great experience and I can't wait to do it again. I already signed up for Aug 29 at BW again with you guys. BTW- Eyespy, whats your name? Mine's Richard - I was the slow one on the GSXR600 Blue/Wht - C Group. The way I see it, if you don't remember me...it's a good thing...that means I wasn't in anyones way. :lao

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anti-Hero said:
You think tires will make a big difference? What tires do you recommend? I'm thinking I won't be riding streets that often, leaning towards mostly doing trackdays.

I've heard Pilot Powers are good, I just want an Idea of what to look for, so say I was to go with the pilot powers....do I get the pilot power race or pilot power sport? I guess my question is, do I go more for race tires or do I get sportier street tires?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Spy, I live in SCV and I have been to Buttonwillow I think four times now. Anyway my ZX10R came with those crap 218's 190/50/17. I changed to Diablo corsas 180/55/17, its like a hole new bike! I have also tried the dunlop GP A dot race tires, there good also but seem to wear out quicker. I will be at California Speedway AMA course on 8/20/05, with Fastrack Riders. Sign up its not to late, sweet track! $$$$

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
spy said:
You think tires will make a big difference? What tires do you recommend? I'm thinking I won't be riding streets that often, leaning towards mostly doing trackdays.

I've heard Pilot Powers are good, I just want an Idea of what to look for, so say I was to go with the pilot powers....do I get the pilot power race or pilot power sport? I guess my question is, do I go more for race tires or do I get sportier street tires?
Yes, it makes a huge difference. According to the director of Pacific Track Time, over 70% of all trackday crashes are on OEM, or OEM replacement tires.

I'd recommend pretty much any DOT race tire if you're going to mostly do trackdays.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Spy, I do recall you, but not for anything negative! The 218s are not that bad as a street tire or even a Newbie track day tire. At the pace they will see under those conditions, they do fine. In order to illustrate this point, here is a pic taken while on a 2004 R1 street bike with the stock 218 tires at Pahrump, and as you can see, you can carry a pretty decent pace on them and some good lean angles. When you get ready to change them out, I second the vote for the Diablo Corsas. As your pace increases, and lap times decrease, DOT race tires become more applicable. My preference is the Pirelli SCs and Rennsports.

Hope to see you at lots more trackdays!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Spy, Pilot Races are nice dude for mediums. I tryed at them at Willow this Sunday, they warm up quik(even though it was 130 degrees out there), no splippage, controled drift too.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Gixxerworld said:
Spy, Pilot Races are nice dude for mediums. I tryed at them at Willow this Sunday, they warm up quik(even though it was 130 degrees out there), no splippage, controled drift too.
Gixxerworld. Cool! What lap times were you running where you were getting into controlled drifts? Were these two wheel controlled drifts? Where were you getting these?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Eyespy said:
Gixxerworld. Cool! What lap times were you running where you were getting into controlled drifts? Were these two wheel controlled drifts? Where were you getting these?
Yesterday was not a race day, so no times dude, sorry. But into turn 3 and out of 7 or 8 is where you can get into them, two wheeled that is, dude. Damn that shit was fun!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Gixxerworld said:
Yesterday was not a race day, so no times dude, sorry. But into turn 3 and out of 7 or 8 is where you can get into them, two wheeled that is, dude. Damn that shit was fun!
Man, I would love to ride behind you and watch that dude! Sounds wicked. Hey, check out our WS and SOW track day schedule. Like I said, it's the best deal going and we have plenty of dates left, and I just GOTTA watch you slide that sh!t around for sure! :cheers

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Eyespy said:
Man, I would love to ride behind you and watch that dude! Sounds wicked. Hey, check out our WS and SOW track day schedule. Like I said, it's the best deal going and we have plenty of dates left, and I just GOTTA watch you slide that sh!t around for sure! :cheers
My partner is hooked. I'm sure we will make it out to at least one of them, dude!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Gixxerworld said:
Will you be at both Eyespy?

Hell yes, I will be at ALL of them. :2devil

1 - 20 of 25 Posts