Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Well my Saturday sucked!
I got pulled over once on a divided rural highway for 86 in a 55. The cop was not real nice about the whole thing and said that it was a good thing I didn't run cuz he's sick of chasing bikes. He did cut me a break and only wrote it for 60/55 "because I stopped in a prudent manner." He never mentioned how he measured my speed and he told me to shut my mouth when I was going to ask to see the radar. He said he was only going to write it for five over and if I didn't like that deal then I could just keep talking! So I shut up and never asked to see the radar. The ticket also doesn't have anything written in the box for "detection device" and the remarks section only says "act. speed 86/55" but nothing about radar.
The second ticket was later that night and I was on my bike following some friends in a Cadillac down some rural country road on the way to a pig roast. The officer was coming the opposite way around a corner and hit the brakes and flipped a U to follow us. I kinda thought it was a cop when we passed him so I slowed a bit. The cop comes flying up behind us with his lights going like crazy. He passed me and was shouting over the PA system to follow him. So I did and pulled up behind him after he had the Caddy stopped. He told me that he had "that guy" meaning the car " doing 70 in a 55" and since I was right behind him we were both getting tickets!! Can cops do that? It seems like he had no way of knowing how fast I was going and only ticketed me because of my proximity to a speeding vehicle.
So I 'm gonna fight both of them, because that's the only recourse in MI. Any officers on the board want to elaborate on the legality of these citations?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
no LEO, but i'd recommend lawyering up and slowing down........

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
You have a right to see DICK

He does NOT have to even TELL you how he calculated your speed

Officers are trained to KNOW speed from vision and using radar/vascar/timers only AIDS this. They are not obligated to prove to you HOW they nailed you and when you go to court it's basically his word against yours as to how fast you were going.

Unless your state has some special regulations.....the cops WORD and ESTIMATE of your speed IS IN FACT enough to convict. He's a paid official of the state speacially trained to do that task, and no judge will take YOUR word over his.

Get a lawyer and get them busted down to improper equipment and PRAY they aren't tried in the same court by the same judge

·
Registered
454 Posts
sounds like you just had some bad luck. I would get a lawyer and see what can be done. :(

The other day my buddy and I were riding down to the Gap and were doing about 15 over when we pass this cop, hidden off the road. He flashes his brights at us and shakes his finger at us. I gave him a thumbs up and slowed the hell down. I was very appreciative though, I thought for sure I had a ticket coming. Maybe he is a fellow rider?? :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I believe Caster is right. The police officer isn't required to show you the radar. A friend was recently pulled over, and the officer simply said my friend wasn't allowed out of the car for safety's sake.

Get a lawyer. You really have no way to fight the tickets. What are you going to say?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I seem to get alot of tickets driving the cage...I have found this...YOU CAN ask to see the radar and you CAN have them tell you how they concluded you were speeding. You also CAN have a lawyer represent you and 9 out of 10 times he will help you greatly. Now with that being said....your first ticket they probably won't do anything about because he has already given you a break for... a roadside reduction....so you really are S.O.L. in my opinion on that one (trust me on this one...I got a ticket in michigan with a roadside reduction and the judge told me to take a hike when I tried to fight it further) and in regards to the first...if you were speeding...you were speeding.
The second ticket seems to be fightable....he didn't physically notice YOU speeding...he noticed the caddy in front of you....the Caddy could have been speeding up to register the 70 on the radar...whatever the case may be....he doesn't have YOU in redar...but rather has given you a ticket because of assumptions. This seems like it would be easy for a lawyer to get dismissed or reduced quite a bit....Lawyers typically run $100 -$150 for these types of cases...and when it comes to insurance and your driving record.....worth every penny in my opinion.
I must tell you that these are my opinions and my conclusions based upon driving in the state of wisconsin, illinois, and michigan.....and if the copper doesn't need to show radar in other states......ok then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the first one I was just going to fight and hope the cop doesn't show or can get the points dropped at least.
The second one seems like BS to me because he radared the other guy and then pulled us both over admitting to me that he hadn't gotten me on radar but was ticketing me because I was behind the speeder. He didn't have a chance to use his "special training" to judge my speed seeing as how we had just come around a corner with him in the opposite lane. Total visual contact of less than a second!
On this one I talked to the guy's chief on Monday and was told that there have been several complaints lately regarding this officers behavior. The chief told me that around a corner there is a cosine effect that can show a higher speed than actual. Then he told me to fight it! I was surprised that the chief was so forthcoming with this type of info.
BTW, these were in two separate counties so no chance of the same judge.

·
Registered
558 Posts
dude u have nothing to bitch about the first one.. 60 in a 55 is quite a break, I wish I could catch such a break, it won't even put points on your lisc., so don't bitch about that.

The second one I would fight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, five over on a non limited-access highway is 2 points. Expressway is a different story, no points for five over.

·
Registered
558 Posts
In GA anything 14 and under results in no points on your lisc., so you have to be going at least 15 over to have points put on your lisc.

but still your ticket is gonna be like what 60 bucks max? I have gotten tickets for 92 in a 45, 86 in a 55, 70 in a 45, 66 in a 45, and 59 in a 45 all within the last 3 years. The 59 in a 45 was a 60 dollar ticket the rest were 300+ and I still have to go to court for the 66 in a 45.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
CasterTroy said:
...Officers are trained to KNOW speed from vision and using radar/vascar/timers only AIDS this. They are not obligated to prove to you HOW they nailed you and when you go to court it's basically his word against yours as to how fast you were going....
I got pulled over the other night right after I installed a speedo healer and set it. Cop pulls me over claiming he 'radared' me doing 71 in a 55. I told him it was completely IMPOSSIBLE I was riding that fast and gave him the whole story about the speedo healer. My speedo never broke 60. He said he'd let me off but offered me a radar run at 70. My speedo read 70....his radar read 70. So what I am guessing is he used his super officer vision powers to guess I was riding 71. Maybe I just look fast. I could probably pass for 55 standing still. :lol

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
CasterTroy said:
They're not perfect by any means....but when you have to face them in court they're certified anually and have to have both their guestimation and radar checked at intervals the state mandates

Thats not to say they can't be wrong, but you'd be better of getting prayer for judgement than fighting a cop in court
I know what you mean and it would have really sucked if I went to court to battle a cop that thought I was doing 71 in a 55. He said he radared me but he was behind me driving so I really doubt he fingered me for 71 (which in the reality of it I was only doing 58ish according to my speedo which turned out to be deadnut on).

·
Registered
533 Posts
last time i got a ticket, i was in a lean taking a corner and right after the corner are 2 chippers

the guy who i was riding with was right behind me but they said since they got me on radar that only i got the ticket.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds like you were caught speeding twice. Why try to get off on technicalities? Take your lumps, especially with that first ticket. That was quite a break. If I got pulled over doing 86, I would get a ticket for exactly 86. As for the cosine effect, well I hate to disagree with a police chief on his own area of expertise, but the cosine effect should generally cause a LOW reading.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In Quebec, the Prosecutor DOES have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were doing that speed. Visual estimation can be a manner of proving it, but you can easily bring a doubt to the judge's mind. It's harder to fight a laser than some dumbass cop that is obviously prejudiced against sportbikes, thus has less objectivity and credibility in the eyes of the Court.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Cosine effect when applied to moving radar will apparently give a false high reading. No expert here, just researched a little bit.
As far as taking my lumps goes I have one thing to say...WHY? My point with the second ticket is that I was not in fact "caught" speeding. Why should I suck it up and pay $100+ and get 3 points for something I may or may not have done, but that the officer can't prove one way or the other.
I'm not bitching about getting caught or getting a break in the first case. It would certainly be nice if the cop didn't show, and if I can arrange some sort of deal whereby I pay the fine and not get the points assessed; more power to me, right?
Why do f-ing drunk drivers hire lawyers so that they get out of losing their asses? Because they can. Technicalities and legal loopholes can be explored and exploited in a lot of cases. Speeding is one where there is no victim and the system is designed as a municipal revenue generator at the expense of the citizenry.
Flame retardent suit is in the wash... oh well. flame on if you want!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been pulled over quite alot, and everytime i've gotten my ticket lawyer. Beats it everytime for me. Gets expensive, 80 for the lawyer 125 for court cost, but it's worth it for me. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
HAHAHAHA, youz a busted azz messican bra. Hope you like paying insurance, cuz you got OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!

:D What are friends for yo!

:alky

1 - 20 of 29 Posts