Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got '99 F4 with 21k on it that runs perfect and is in immacualte shape. For the last week or so I've noticed that about once or twice on a ride the bike would "slip" or hesitate for a moment. This would always happen at about 10k and the bike would free rev to 12k and catch and would ride normal. So I just figured maybe the clutch is on its way out no big deal. Well tonight I went out riding at 6:00 rode all night with no problems. Then at 11:30 I went into a turn leaned over in 2nd at about 8 or 9k and the bike just popped right into neutral and bounced off the limiter.......needless to say it was not fun and I nearly got rear-ended by the bike behind me. Now the bike will not rev past 7k in 2nd without popping into neutral and bouncing off the limiter but seems to run fine in first and third etc.

So in short what broke, how'd it break, and most importantly how much is it going to cost to fix this as I am a broke Junior in college.

Thanks for the help I need it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sucks....
the dogs on the 2nd gear have become rounded due to abuse. The cure is to split the casses and replace the number two gear set. You are may need a shift fork also
Sucks
Jim

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
Yeah, make friends with some folks with some know-how. You're in for a bit of labor, but with help you can do this yourself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just finished up a second gear fix on my bike today and got it running, it was not terribly hard but I would get someone to help you with it who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys.......I don't know enough about mechanics to do it myself but am trying to find a garage mechanic to do it on the cheap.......would it hurt anything if I rode it for a while and just avoided second all together? I need to know because I'm talking to a guy who lives about 30 miles away and I would much rather ride it their then truck it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It won't hurt it to ride it and shift around 2nd
The thing about finding soneone to fix it on the cheap is.....That's just the kind of job that will be done. That's why people are telling you to do the work your self.
If someone says they will fix it for $300 or what ever, they have no idea of what they are doing. To properly split the cases and reassemble is $1000 to $1200 easily. I build drag motors and I charge $1800 labor to tear down and reassemble. Get a manual and have a go at it yourself...you'll learn a lot and you'll have the pride of having done it yourself
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts