Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 FZ1 has 22,000 miles on it. I have always changed the oil (Castrol Actevo) and filter every 3-4k miles since I bought it new. Normally I have had to add about 1/8th of a quart between changes. The past month I have had to add half a quart total. This seems excessive. I don't notice smoke pouring out of the pipe or anything.

I changed my plugs about 3 months ago and noticed oil on the threads. That concerned me so I threw 'em in a baggy and took them over to the dealership. The mechanic told me they looked normal for the mileage I had on them and not to worry about the oil.

Should I have my bike looked over? It is about due for a valve adjustment and a carb sync.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
When are you checking your oil? Is the bike hot, or cold?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
How were the electrodes looking, is there carbon build up??? If the engine is burning oil, even if there is no smoke, there will be carbon build up on the plugs, and a lot of black carbon (soot) on the exhaust.

The temperature is also important, as the surface the bike is parked on when you check the oil level, follow your bike's owner manual religiously to check the oil level, or you may use too much oil, that would make it seem as if it were burning oil (as the engine is trying to get rid of the excess).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts