9,277 Posts
"I just want an American sport bike! !"

*one gets released*

*no one buys them*

'Why isn't there an American sport bike? !"

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wish he would have had a partnership with a better company than harley. if he had gone with maybe victory at some point I think he would have had more success. a company that would've let him have a bit more freedom and invested more into R&D for him. I love my XB but harley techs go full retard when I need service that I can't do myself.

·
Super Moderator
18,631 Posts
That sucks. But what did he expect? He created a bike with an obnoxious price tag that very few are willing to pay. There's just too many other Sportbikes that costs thousands less and still destroy EBR bikes at the track.

Had he made a bike around 8-10K, he probably would've done well. But his vision was blurred from the beginning.

·
13 motorsports
742 Posts
Just heard about this from my brother. So disappointed. I've always admired Erik for what he has tried to do. I enjoyed my 1125cr I had, and as a tribute I try to use at least one Buell part in all of my builds.
Truth be told though, I'm not surprised by this. His bikes were so track focused and yet they weren't at the top of the heap. Factor in how much they cost and it was easy to see where this was heading. Still doesn't make it any easier to read about though.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Dude needs a patron, some big company that wants to diversify into sport bikes. It was a sort of good idea running with Harley, bad idea suing their POS engines. Still, I bet he's a long way from done.

·
The cake is a lie
10,152 Posts
Not a surprise. They were unrefined, overpriced boutique motorcycles.

For the same price you could get alternatives (S1000RR, etc) that quite simply blew the buell out of the water

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I think that the best example for creating or reviving a brand was John Bloor purchasing Triumph. However, he was very wealthy and had the ability to fund the company until it stood on its own two feet and moreover, one assumes that the Triumph brand name could make money on clothing etc. - much like Harley does.

I for one thought the bikes were very cool looking and I was happy that he had revived his company. This is a sad day.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Too bad. Maybe Polaris goes after him? I was reading a survey last week where Victory owners were the most satisfied with their purchase followed by Yamaha.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Too bad. Maybe Polaris goes after him? I was reading a survey last week where Victory owners were the most satisfied with their purchase followed by Yamaha.
Which is hilarious because in the fourwheeler world we used to call them pooplaris because they were crap. Better now though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
He should have started with a less expensive American sportbike so he had cash flow and was able to use that to help sustain the big $$ dream bike.
Like Fischer? They were cheap and it didn't seem to work for them either.

Dude needs a patron, some big company that wants to diversify into sport bikes. It was a sort of good idea running with Harley, bad idea suing their POS engines. Still, I bet he's a long way from done.
He was partnered with Hero Motorcycles, a huge company. They owned 49% of EBR I believe. I had thought EBR was going to be bringing Hero in to the US (since they are Indian) in return for the backing, but never saw anything happen.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
This is really shitty news. I got to ride the SX model twice, I liked it but it was far too track focused. I was waiting for them to come out with a model geared more towards street riders. A sport tourer with that motor would be great. Oh well, maybe someone will buy it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts