Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a buel 500cc bike, 1200 miles for 3800. I dont remember the year though either '01 or '02. Good price?

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
That would be a Buell Blast....Buell's entry level bike.

For $3800, I could name probably, 100 different bikes that are better...

For some reason, the Buell Blast is the ONLY buell that holds it value like a Harley. You can buy one new for around $5k (maybe less???), ride the snot out of it, and turn around and sell it for $3.5k. Makes no sense, but I've never seen one sell CHEAP. OTOH, You can buy a $10k xb12r, not put any miles on it, keep it looking like new, and barely be able to squeeze out $6k when selling it at only a year or so old.

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was considering it as a first bike, then gettin rid of it after a couple months or however long it takes to get comfy... Im 6'0

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Like TraGik says, there are a lot more choices out there. If you're wanting to start out on a V-twin driven motorcycle, might I suggest a Suzuki SV650. I've heard nothing but great things about them, and it can be converted to a race bike if you feel the need for speed.

For a little more money, you might be able to pick up a used Yamaha FZ6. Note, however, that some '04 models have had TPS related problems. If you get an '04, made sure that this has been taken care of. I had one and it was really comfortable and fast. It's a very versatile bike and comfy too!

That's just naming two out of many. Definitely sit on the bike for a few minutes to see if the comfort level is up to your standards.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The best first bike is an old honda CB. They're so much more fun to ride when you're beginning where as a sportbike or newer standard like an SV650 will just scare you.

Also a cb will be more forgiving, and you'll be a better rider once you get on the SV650.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
no, too expensive.

I think the retail for about 4 or 5K anyway.

The one i had, i bought for around 4K from a dealer with 1000 miles (i think) and resold for 2850 after only adding another 1000 miles. I couldn't find anybody that was interested in buying it.

there are many other great starter bikes out there for that price that will hold their value much better.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
you can get a ninja 500 for aas much or less, and is prollly more reliable........

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'd go with the ex500 or gs500f before the Buell. Those kawi's will sell fast when you are ready for a sportbike but the Buell might take some time to sell.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You are asking in the wrong forum. Go to the Buell forum. If you want a Buell take it for a test ride and make a decision off of that. You are getting opinions from people that sound like they have never ridden one. Or owned one for that matter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hams51 said:
Like TraGik says, there are a lot more choices out there. If you're wanting to start out on a V-twin driven motorcycle, might I suggest a Suzuki SV650. I've heard nothing but great things about them, and it can be converted to a race bike if you feel the need for speed.

For a little more money, you might be able to pick up a used Yamaha FZ6. Note, however, that some '04 models have had TPS related problems. If you get an '04, made sure that this has been taken care of. I had one and it was really comfortable and fast. It's a very versatile bike and comfy too!

That's just naming two out of many. Definitely sit on the bike for a few minutes to see if the comfort level is up to your standards.
Both marginal beginner bikes.

Nothing wrong with a Blast as a first bike. Consider an EX500 or GS500 also.

·
Registered
177 Posts
do an interenet search on them. there are websites dedicated to bashing them (from owners) and several lawsuits pending over the safety and quality of these bikes. i was thinking of a buell for a hooligan bike and stumbled across alot of pissed off people.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i had no trouble with mine and i think it was a good starter bike.

however, if i had to do it over i would've bought a smaller sportbike as a starter, like the Kawi 250 or 500, or suzuki 500, or even a BF-400 :lol.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Blackduc said:
You are asking in the wrong forum. Go to the Buell forum. If you want a Buell take it for a test ride and make a decision off of that. You are getting opinions from people that sound like they have never ridden one. Or owned one for that matter.

+1
Try the thumper forum at
www.badweatherbikers.com

Personally, I love my blast. Sure I could have gotten an ex500 and had a little more horsepower and top speed....but then again, there's TONS of those in Vegas. My little buell sticks out. I like it enough that when I get a new Buell, I'm keeping that thing for when gas gets super expensive. 70 MPG on the highway...sheeeeeeeeeit.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Buell Blast are great for beginners. But I have heard that they are too crampped for tall people. I just sat on one and I wasnt comfortable. I do not know what is a good price for a blast but You might grow out of that bike too quickly. That is the number one complaint for blast owners (That I hear).

I dont know about reliabilty if a Kawasaki would be better or if a blast would. It is one of those things I think you should own before you make an opinion. Not to just base what your heard about harleys. Buell has their own technologie and is different from a harley other then the motor which is beefed up a little more then a sporty.

·
Registered
514 Posts
the blast is a powerless slug, great for a small girl starting off.. but anyone over 110lbs.... you kill the poor thing! LOL

·
Are we not men?
9,010 Posts
Bought one for my wife, she loves it! I weigh 170, and it accelerates fairly well with me on it considering it's a single. And it'll run 85 easily.

Now the cramped quarters is another story. Even with the higher seat, I'd bet you'd feel cramped on it.

Other than that, I've read both sides of the quality/ reliability issue. Seems all model Buells are somewhat spotty in the quality department. Ours is just fine, no problems so far (1500 miles).

For you, I'd probably suggest an SV650. And at $3800, that bike better be an '03, I paid $2000 for an '00 with 262 miles on the clock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts