• Trade bikes outright?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buddy (newbie) bought an '84 FZ600 *Updated*

Buddy who just finished his MSF bought an '84 FZ600 (I think he might have meant FJ600). From what I've read it's not the best bike for a newbie. So I'm trying to come up with some alternatives for him. So I thought I'd get some opinions.

I've got an '91 EX500 which I think would be much better for him to learn on before riding his FZ/FJ on the street. I've been riding since July '03 and about 3k miles.

What do you think?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, he can probably survive the bike. He already has it, so I'd say just pray he is smart about how he rides it. Can't hold his hand his whole life.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't think those bikes are any faster than your 500 but I've never ridden one either, just let him ride it. You'll be pissed if he drops your ninja anyway.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He's a level-headed guy. I'm just wondering what else I can do besides what I already have. I pointed him towards the MSF, good gear, used bike (although I mentioned a Seca II at most) not new. I'd like to see him become a good rider as opposed to just "survive" his bike. I think his wife and kids would like that too. He'd be more than happy to swap or trade bikes outright with me. He'll be insuring it tomorrow and I'll be riding it home for him.

He passed his MSF but his instructor said he should practice quite a bit in a parking lot before hitting the street. I've volunteered to practice several times a week in a parking lot with him. If he weren't a friend of many years I proabably wouldn't care about it as much. He's cool and I'd like to do what I can to keep him around though.

I really appreciate everybody's viewpoints. It's what makes this a great board.

Thanks guys/gals.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It probably isn't the best handling bike for a beginner especially in the parking lot, I bet he'll drop it a few times, but the power should be ok I don't think it would be much faster than the 500 considering it's 7 years older. Tell us tomorrow after you ride it though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you could just have him do a handful of parking lot sessions on the 500, it would still be better than going straight to the FZ. He'll probably be ok either way, but this might save him a little heartache over low-speed handling mishaps. Just don't cry when he drops your bike, because that's basically what you're asking for.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out it's an '87 FZ600. He'll be riding my EX for his parking lot practice for awhile. It needs some work (minor) that I'll be helping with so I rode it back to my place. As for the bike itself, I could see a newer Yamaha in my future.

For an old bike this thing runs like a scalded cat! Light (compared to my bike) and nimble as hell. Great breaks and steering. The inline four definitely has a different feel than my little twin. Throttle and brakes seems like they could be "twitchy" in a brand new rider's hands.

He knows that he'll be paying for any serious damage to my bike if dropped. My bike is ugly so I don't think he could make it much worse!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
First of all, what a cool friend you are for worring about your buddy, :dblthumb most ppl could careless what their friends ride and there are alot out there that would encourage their friends to get 600RR's, GSXR1000's ect ect

Let him practice on your EX500 for a while, and if he's willing to pay to fix it if he damages it, then all's good...

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
japbike said:
First of all, what a cool friend you are for worring about your buddy, :dblthumb most ppl could careless what their friends ride and there are alot out there that would encourage their friends to get 600RR's, GSXR1000's ect ect

Let him practice on your EX500 for a while, and if he's willing to pay to fix it if he damages it, then all's good...
+1.......................... :cool:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think he should be ok on the FZ600, so long as he's not stupid.

EDIT: P.S. He's probably better getting to know his own bike in the lot than learning your's and then riding his.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Meh2u said:
I don't think those bikes are any faster than your 500 but I've never ridden one either, just let him ride it. You'll be pissed if he drops your ninja anyway.
+1

Let him ride his own bike. If he is worried about a parking lot spill, have him take the lowers off. That thing will have a steel frame and will be bulletproof.
It is also probably slower than your EX500.

Are you sure you just don't want his bike?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
evildead said:
+1

Let him ride his own bike. If he is worried about a parking lot spill, have him take the lowers off. That thing will have a steel frame and will be bulletproof.
It is also probably slower than your EX500.

Are you sure you just don't want his bike?
His bike probably has less power than mine but it's twitchy. Twitchy throttle and really touchy brakes. Dual front disks and single rear. My bike has a single front and drum rear.

I don't think I want his bike. My bike is ugly but runs like a champ. Paint will fix it's ugly aspects. I think I'd have trouble parting with my little beast anyway. Doesn't mean I won't be shopping for a second bike. I'm thinking maybe an old FZR.

He's out of town this weekend but should have his gear next week. Getting him used to his bike's characteristics early on would probably be a good thing. Lots of low speed/1st gear drills to get him used to the throttle and brakes. He has no interest in jumping into traffic anywhere in the near future which is good.

I'll post up what happens on that first parking lot trip. He's a big boy with common sense so I think I'll let him decide. Not like he'll be riding solo anytime soon. Maybe have him spend a little time on both then decide for himself which is more comfortable with to start. After he decides we're going to try a minimum of practice every other day. Get him as much seat time as we can. I feel I'm a decent rider but more practice never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
912 Posts
he will be fine. i'm sure the 84 doesn't have too much power

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
robbieace said:
he will be fine. i'm sure the 84 doesn't have too much power
+1

Most of the people I know started on f3's (I personally started on a 500) but no one maimed themselves or died.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the update.

Things kind of work themselsves out sometimes. The FZ6 was in need of a fair amount of work. Previous owner didn't take care of it very well. Needed the left bar controls, left mirror, a weld done on the fairing stay, carbs cleaned, brake pedal straightened, fuel petcock rebuilt/replaced, fork seals, tires, electrical harness. :eek: The FZ was too much the impulse buy for him. So he'd been practicing on my bike. No drops/ no worries.

While in the midst of all the work on the FZ600 he calls me and asks me to swing by a Victory dealer in our area. So I'm thinking he decided on a cruiser (if that's his thing cool, I'll still ride with him). Nope, no cruiser. He must have been out bike sitting or something and they had a '99 Ninja 500r w/ 7k miles. Couple of minor cracks in the plastic for $2k. He likes it leaps and bounds better and the fact he can ride now whenever he wants to. :smilierr

1 - 17 of 17 Posts