Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
So the silver car had slowed down because it seems there was a fender bender ahead in it's lane. The rider either did not catch on to the drastic speed changes in the vehicle ahead or was going too fast to be able to react fast enough. Adding in that it was raining on the highway, his stopping distance and limited stopping power didn't help much either.

Still, the rider was better off splitting between vehicles or going off on the shoulder, atleast that is what i would have done.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
That was terrible, hope he survived and is doing okay. It is funny reading the expert analysis that always follows all these types of videos though.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well, there is some good news for the rider.

1. He was wearing a helmet. Without it he would almost certainly be dead.

2. As scary as that huge explosion of parts when he hits the car is, his body actually misses the car completely or at most deals a glancing blow to the car.

3. He's still flying through the air pretty fast after he separates from his bike and the car. I know this sounds counter intuitive but in a wreck you want to dissipate your energy slowly instead of in one big bone shattering and organ squashing instant.

4. Although he drops on the ground from a few feet up that's only the really big impact he takes. He doesn't appear to hit the far wall that hard or get run over by another car

5. Although he's only wearing jeans on his legs (which will pretty much instantly dissolve on contact with asphalt at that speed) He's at least wearing a jacket gloves and possibly boots which should help with the road rash.

Now for the bad stuff:

1. When the bike hits the car it stops the front in a hurry and the momentum of the bike causes the back end to kick up and launch him (and itself) into the air. When he finally does hit asphault it's from at least 4-5 feet in the air which has the potential to break bones.

2. The bike may or may not have landed on top of him, if so, that could do some serious damage.

3. Unless those are reinforced jeans they dissolved within seconds of hitting the asphalt resulting in SERIOUS road rash on his legs.

4. This is the big one. In the last few seconds of the video you can see him tumbling down the road, arms flailing around uncontrollably. That breaks bones, rips joints apart, and shreds tendons.

Overall I'd say there's a pretty good chance of him living. He's almost certainly going to have some serious injuries, maybe event and road rash on his lower body but my guess is that it's better than even money he lives.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
wow that was brutal. i was thinking in my head. stop, slow down. then BAM!

my expert anaylsis is...

he didnt see that traffic had slowed, was going too fast (obviously a busy road). also we dont know how he had been riding before that. maybe he had already been speeding and weaving through traffic. either way his braking skills didnt seem that good or his ability to move out of the way (probably got target fixation)

atleast he had some gear on.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they're speaking Russian. Just before impact the driver the says "fuck, what a moron" and afterwards the female passenger says "stop, stop, stop"
You are right. I took a closer look at the road sign and it is in Russian.

·
Registered
357 Posts
ANY vehicle accident involving another vehicle at speed on highways is gonna be a mess. Those air-bags in cars are a big help at speeds under 60 mph but they are not going to save you in a car in a high speed head-on collision or slamming into a culvert at high speed. You only get killed on a motorcycle when you fly off and hit something instead of sliding. I once saw the aftermath of a head-on collision on the highway between two cars; nothing left but shattered parts, nothing you could recognize.
-Bottom line; drive defensively and for conditions, cos even an accident that is not your fault can maim or kill you.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I always thought the mortality rate was rather low in head-ons at legal speeds these days.

between two similar vehicles, of course. an 8500 pound one ton dually is gonna destroy a honda civic, obviously.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
they're speaking Russian. Just before impact the driver the says "fuck, what a moron" and afterwards the female passenger says "stop, stop, stop"
The dead give away is it's a dashcam video!

Crazy crash though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm pretty sure this guy'll be fine. maybe a few broken bones and a rashed ass but I don't think he rolled too much after he hit the ground. I'm pretty sure the rain distorted to make it look that way but I think he was only sliding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts