Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car and a barbed wire fence met this weekend and left some nasty scratches on my roof, trunk and quarter panel. I'm just looking to get them all fixed. There is too many of them to just use touch up paint or those scratch remover products. OK, my question is, has anyone brought their vehicle to Maaco for this type of work? What's your experience? Do they do decent work for a decent price?

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
They are independently owned. My sister got a very decent paint job for under $300 (quite a few years ago for both...) and I got absolute crap job for $600.

You'll want to find some recommendations from folks that have used the specific shop you are thinking off.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I didn't use maaco. Did use earl scheib once on a 4x4. Did ok. Had a friend that took his olds 98 to Maaco. Did a good job.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I took a car to Maaco and was really surprised at how good it came out. My college roommate took his car to Maaco and got a really decent paint job as well.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
25 years ago when I worked in a body shop we used to often have to redo work done at a nearby Maaco. They did terrible body work but decent paintjobs.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
the prep is 90% of the paint job...the people that work at maaco's and carstar etc.. are straight out of highschool/tech education schools.
some of the guys are decent at it, some are not.

and the price of maaco's work that you see on tv is the price of just a scuff and spray. no bodywork.

of course I can't speak too highly of a Chevrolet dealership's paint job I seen. it had more orange peel and runs than what I did learning.
but of course they had like 10 guys in the detail dept buffing the paint jobs.
they need to eat too I guess:eek:nfloor

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Had a friend paid like 250 for his paint job. It looked alright, chipped easy as shit, and they didnt prep anything. Got paint all over the under side of his car, in his grill, and all over his exhaust.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
If your car is worth more than about 3000 bucks, take it someplace and have them do a GOOD job on it.

Otherwise you'll never be happy with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My brother just had a horrible experience with Maaco. I'm sure it varies from shop to shop, but he took it in there late June/early July to get his lancer painted blue and a spoiler painted and installed. They quoted him 3-5 days and it took 3 1/2 weeks to get the car back. It was a total mess, from what my dad said.

Quality looks ok, but if I was spending the money to paint a car, I'd probably have someone reputable do it, or a friend who has a good rep.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
You can tell what cars went to maaco; the emblems are now the same color as the rest of the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts