Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bike Thursday and had my buddy ride it home for me yesterday since I am STILL unable to ride due to injuries. I am unable to give a review of the bike but my friend who rode it home for me rides a 2002 SV650S and said his bike is no comparison to the FZ6. He loves the FZ and is now contimplating trading in his SV for a FZ.

Attachments

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Nice! I think youll enjoy it

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wolviak said:
Welcome aboard :) . How long until you can ride? Any plans for the bike while your waiting?
I should be able to take it for a short test ride this coming up weekend but I am not officially going to be released to ride for another 2-4 weeks. While waiting, I have already ordered a fender eliminator, I will be installing a Puig double bubble windshield, frame sliders, and shopping for an aftermarket exhaust. I have not made my mind up on the exhaust since they are all over $700. I may just wait until more companies start making them for the FZ so the price will possibly go down at least to the $600 range.

·
Registered
205 Posts
kevinmcdade said:
I should be able to take it for a short test ride this coming up weekend but I am not officially going to be released to ride for another 2-4 weeks. While waiting, I have already ordered a fender eliminator, I will be installing a Puig double bubble windshield, frame sliders, and shopping for an aftermarket exhaust. I have not made my mind up on the exhaust since they are all over $700. I may just wait until more companies start making them for the FZ so the price will possibly go down at least to the $600 range.
You may want to check out the Scorpions, as I beleive they start out at about $300 for the aluminum and go upto $750 for the Titanium Flame.
Skippy

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wonder if many companies will actually go down that far on the cans for this bike?
I think they will probably use the fact that there is two pipes on the bike to keep it up in the at least $600 range.
Aluminum would get pretty hot under the seat.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sweet bike, Kevin! I'm sure you'll love it! BTW, I liked your friend's comments comparing his SV650S to the FZ6!

As far as exhausts go, I think I'll stick with stock and get a Power Commander instead. I like the sound and look of stock and there doesn't seem to be much gain with going to aftermarket exhaust, where there seems to be a significant gain in smoothness and performance with the PC.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think once the bike is established in the US, more companies will realize there is money to be made in the FZ6 arena and start making more parts which will drive the price down through competiveness. Right now, it is pretty much a situation of supply and demand...there are not many FZ6's in the states; there are very few companies that make parts for them; the companies that are making the parts know they can demand whatever price they choose due to the supply and demand...economics 101.

I will probably wait to see what the next shipment of FZ6's is going to be like before purchasing an exhaust. Hopefully the next shipment will be much larger than the first one which, in return, should open the aftermarket a little more.

I took the big fender off last night and installed the fender eliminator that I got from FAZR6. Installation was a snap...even with a broken wrist it only took me about an hour to complete. I will be ordering frame sliders and Puig windscreen today. I am enjoying this bike without even riding it :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
kevin

Hey Kevin, I bought one Monday and want to say it is a blast to ride bone stock. I haven't noticed the shifter or power band problems other are reporting so they may have fixed it on the newer ones like ours. With the fender "flap" gone it sure looks faster although I got mine up to 115 this morning no problem :D Don't rush your recovery time just relax and have a cool one until the cast comes off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
charlieoneseven said:
Hey Kevin, I bought one Monday and want to say it is a blast to ride bone stock. I haven't noticed the shifter or power band problems other are reporting so they may have fixed it on the newer ones like ours. With the fender "flap" gone it sure looks faster although I got mine up to 115 this morning no problem :D Don't rush your recovery time just relax and have a cool one until the cast comes off.
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your FZ!!! I have noticed that most people who complain about the shifting are either new to motorcycles or new to sportbikes. I am definitely going to take my time and recover 100% so I can enjoy my bike to the fullest. Therapy is going extremely well and I have about 85% of my flexibility restored to my knee and the cast on my arm comes off tomorrow :D !!! I can finally sit on my bike comfortably with my feet properly positioned on the pegs. All of my doctors are amazed at how fast I am healing...like a 15 year old instead of a 32 year old. I guess staying in shape and working out pays off for times like this.

I'm on my way to the garage to have a "cool" one and gaze at my bike some more :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
kevinmcdade said:
All of my doctors are amazed at how fast I am healing...like a 15 year old instead of a 32 year old.
more :)
I guess it all comes down to the motivation of what to heal quickly for. Like a 15 year old, you are healing quickly to jump on something (think back to 15). Now that your 32 it just happens to be your FZ6 instead.
DOH!!!
:D :D :D

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
kevin just saw this thread man, bike looks good! heal up so we can go hit some twisties sometime

...well once i get another bike, im going by yamaha sometime to look at the 04 R6's

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
That is a great looking bike if I do say so myself.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
brentsR6 said:
kevin just saw this thread man, bike looks good! heal up so we can go hit some twisties sometime

...well once i get another bike, im going by yamaha sometime to look at the 04 R6's
Thanks everyone!!!

Brent -- When are you going to be on two wheels again? I got my cast off today and was very tempted to take the new ride out but decided it would not be wise since the wrist is still very weak and tender. I know you like the R6 and Gixxer but DO NOT count out the ZX6R. They are making great deals on them. If I would have been in the market for a true sportbike, I would have gone with the Kawi. You should come by the house some time, have a few cold ones and talk bikes with me.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
excellent, yeah i dont know which direction i should go to get my new bike, either get a loan from the bank and buy a used bike, or just bite the bullet and go get a new one from the dealer. i know yamaha is having a promotion right now where theyre selling all 2004 bikes for 39/month and 0 down, but i dont wanna take it in the but later when the term is up. i cant afford to pay in full for a new bike right now, but i can make payments. what do you suggest? either way, i hope to have a new bike in a couple weeks or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can go through Yamaha and use their promotion but DO NOT only pay the minimum payment on the loan amount. If you pay $39 per month, at the end of the two years, you will still owe alot of money and they will jack the interest rate up to 17-21%. I use my Yamaha account to buy all of my bikes but I always plan and budget to pay it off before the end of the promotion, which in this case is two years. On my 2004 R6 that got totaled, I only owed $6000 on it and only had it for 3 months and didn't put any money down on it. If you don't think you can afford to make big monthly payments to pay it off in two years or less, you can always go to the bank and get a loan with a fixed interest rate for 3-5 years -- it would probably be easier doing it that way. You can always check out Southwest Superbikes. He carries alot of late model bikes and he can get just about anyone financed with a slightly higher interest rate.

Let me know if you need any more advice on buying your bike and I hope to see you on two wheels again soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
kevinmcdade said:
You can go through Yamaha and use their promotion but DO NOT only pay the minimum payment on the loan amount. If you pay $39 per month, at the end of the two years, you will still owe alot of money and they will jack the interest rate up to 17-21%. I use my Yamaha account to buy all of my bikes but I always plan and budget to pay it off before the end of the promotion, which in this case is two years. On my 2004 R6 that got totaled, I only owed $6000 on it and only had it for 3 months and didn't put any money down on it. If you don't think you can afford to make big monthly payments to pay it off in two years or less, you can always go to the bank and get a loan with a fixed interest rate for 3-5 years -- it would probably be easier doing it that way. You can always check out Southwest Superbikes. He carries alot of late model bikes and he can get just about anyone financed with a slightly higher interest rate.

Let me know if you need any more advice on buying your bike and I hope to see you on two wheels again soon.
He's right. You don't have to make the minimum payments. Pay as much as you can afford. I want to pay off my bike asap so that way I can get lower insurance (not full, just liab.) (but I might want to keep the full) But I think in general a fully paid off bike is less to insure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts