Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever break an oil filter wrench? I was tightening the replacement filter to spec and it litterally separated. What's worse, is that it was jammed on the filter itself. Took me almost 30 minutes of small tapping to get it loose enough. Yes, I was doing it to spec.

Just wondering if it was a faulty wrench or this happens frequently.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What is spec on your bike? Any oil filter i have ever put on, it was done by hand. Just one half turn past snug.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Don't know about specs on other bikes, but Suzuki specifies 2 full turns beyond initial gasket contact. This is impossible without one of those wrenches that fits over the end of the filter like a huge socket. Those work great to install and remove filters. I can't see how one of those could break.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I would suggest just using hand tightening in the future. A half turn past contact is correct and your own hand stregth should be more than sufficient to do this. And no, I never heard of that before, although every new bike I have ever bought I ve had to fight like hell to get that first filter off. Once I had to jam a screwdriver through the filter to get enough torque to get it off!!!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
highfigh said:
What is spec on your bike? Any oil filter i have ever put on, it was done by hand. Just one half turn past snug.
I believe it was 22 or 28 ft-lbs. Maybe that was Newtons. Can't remember. I'm a stickler for having everything to spec.

·
Registered
452 Posts
That's never happened to me, but than again, my oil filter wrench is metal. Also, I agree with the guys saying to hand-tighten the filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts