Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
WYPIWYG
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry
Well, I just did my 600 mile oil change and am ready to rip on my new friend. I am also in the process of building my house. We were moving 2 oil tanks into the basement and the legs collapsed on the one tank and CRUSHED my middle and ring finger on my right hand. It is bad enough that I am right-handed and now have to learn how to wipe my ass with my left hand...but that is my breaking hand and more specifically my breaking fingers. The bones are completely fractured in both fingers and my middle finger blew out the end so I have 6 stitches in that one. I have a feeling I will be wearing a splint for a month or so...the best months to ride!!! I want to get one the bike but know I won't be able to crack her open like I want to. Anyone else out there have a similar injury and how difficult is it to ride with splints on the fingers? Any feedback would be great. I am looking for a ray of light at the end of the tunnel.

Crushed in PA

·
Registered
419 Posts
Learn how to safely and efficiently use the rear brake?

·
Registered
128 Posts
get a pirate hook and use that to grab the front brake! yarrrrrrrr...

In all seriousness, ouch. :( However, I'm with taurus here... it sucks, but take some time off and let it heal. As you probably know 70-80% of your braking power is in the front; you need that hand to be healthy or you'll be eating cage in no time. If that happens you'll be down for a lot longer than a month...

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Wow man, that really stinks. Hope it heals up quick for you! Where in Pa. are you from? I grew up in Cranberry. Only been in Fla. for just under 3 years now. Weather's great for year round riding, but the roads are BORING. I miss the terrain of western Pa.!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do not let the weather get you, let it heal, get some good gortex winter gloves, good insulated gortec jacket, good pants, and be ready for your winter time rides, once you wear all your winter protective gear, you good to go, do not mess around do not ride all screw up like that, that's a not go. It is not you it is the bunch of dumm asses that may cut you off, it is an emergency stop, and a lot of stuff, so please spend lots and lots of time in any forum you like but get away from the bike.
As fas as how is riding with that hand all mess up, we got a friend at work with a cast on his elbow, he could ride and brake, but we decide call it a quit for safety reason we were confident on him but not on his surrounding, cagers, dogs, and you know the rest.
So, take care of yourself, let it heal, and ride when you will be ok.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I had a broken ring finger...it still kinda is. It happened last year and I didn't have the FZ6 for no more than 6 months, so I couldn't stop riding. In fact, I had to ride to the hospital the day it happened. I wouldn't recommend it though. Let it heal, keep that splint on, and you'll have a less likely chance of it becoming a mallet finger.

·
WYPIWYG
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys

Thanks for the responses. It is going to be tough staying off it for awhile. I sat on it this morning and said...yeah, I can brake with my index finger. I am going to the docs this Friday so I will see what the diagnosis is.

I live in Schuylkill County...eastern PA. I sometimes take an hour ride to the Hershey area for work but that is mostly 78 and 81. The last 2 miles of road is the absolute best. Nice and winding...enough to get my ass off the seat for a bit. I saw a Silver Fazer in Hershey a couple weeks ago. Are you here? Other than that, the dealers didn't have any in stock but I have yet to see one in the area. Saw an SV though and was not impressed. That is what I was leaning towards before they brought the lil Fizzer stateside...yeah I have been looking for a little while. That is what makes it so hard. I waited so long for a bike of my own and now I cant ride!!!

Boohoo.

Healing in PA

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fz6yamaha said:
Do not let the weather get you, let it heal, get some good gortex winter gloves, good insulated gortec jacket, good pants, and be ready for your winter time rides, once you wear all your winter protective gear, you good to go, do not mess around do not ride all screw up like that, that's a not go. It is not you it is the bunch of dumm asses that may cut you off, it is an emergency stop, and a lot of stuff, so please spend lots and lots of time in any forum you like but get away from the bike.
As fas as how is riding with that hand all mess up, we got a friend at work with a cast on his elbow, he could ride and brake, but we decide call it a quit for safety reason we were confident on him but not on his surrounding, cagers, dogs, and you know the rest.
Sure, winter riding until the snow hits. Which usually hits around November.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Fazer6PA said:
Thanks for the responses. It is going to be tough staying off it for awhile. I sat on it this morning and said...yeah, I can brake with my index finger. I am going to the docs this Friday so I will see what the diagnosis is.

I live in Schuylkill County...eastern PA. I sometimes take an hour ride to the Hershey area for work but that is mostly 78 and 81. The last 2 miles of road is the absolute best. Nice and winding...enough to get my ass off the seat for a bit. I saw a Silver Fazer in Hershey a couple weeks ago. Are you here? Other than that, the dealers didn't have any in stock but I have yet to see one in the area. Saw an SV though and was not impressed. That is what I was leaning towards before they brought the lil Fizzer stateside...yeah I have been looking for a little while. That is what makes it so hard. I waited so long for a bike of my own and now I cant ride!!!

Boohoo.

Healing in PA
Man...81 is SCARY. I haven't ridden it yet(and probably won't), but it scares me just driving a cage down 81!

·
WYPIWYG
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fz6yamaha said:
Sorry dude, but the PA winters are alot worse than Atlanta.

04 Fizzer is right. We have good riding weather until about November. Once the salt and cinders hit the road..I am done! I would need so much protetive winter clothing, I would look like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story".

81 is not too bad. I only get on 81 for a 2 mile stretch before I get off to go towards Annville/Hershey. 78 is just the same. I imagine 81 around the b***** cities is worse. My bud lives in 'Cuse and I am waiting for him to get his ass home. He has a Duc 750SS and I want to see how we compare. Unfortunately, he is waiting to get his license back from DUI. I should have a leg up cuz he did not ride most of last year! HAH. That'll teach em.

·
Registered
135 Posts
crx81 said:
Wow man, that really stinks. Hope it heals up quick for you! Where in Pa. are you from? I grew up in Cranberry. Only been in Fla. for just under 3 years now. Weather's great for year round riding, but the roads are BORING. I miss the terrain of western Pa.!
Yeah, I hear ya on that one. I'm from Moon Township myself, just up the road from where you were, and now in Crestview, FL, and I was just home 2 weeks ago. BOY would I have liked to have my bike!! I truly would love to take my bike bake home for a couple weeks and hit some REAL twisty roads and get some good experience. I guess if me and the G/F decide to drive back up there for a visit, we'll just have to make room in the back of the pickup for the bike! Sorry honey, you'll have to leave some shoes behind! LOL :neener :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Fazer6PA said:
Sorry dude, but the PA winters are alot worse than Atlanta.

04 Fizzer is right. We have good riding weather until about November. Once the salt and cinders hit the road..I am done! I would need so much protetive winter clothing, I would look like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story".

81 is not too bad. I only get on 81 for a 2 mile stretch before I get off to go towards Annville/Hershey. 78 is just the same. I imagine 81 around the b***** cities is worse. My bud lives in 'Cuse and I am waiting for him to get his ass home. He has a Duc 750SS and I want to see how we compare. Unfortunately, he is waiting to get his license back from DUI. I should have a leg up cuz he did not ride most of last year! HAH. That'll teach em.
If you head up to 'Cuse sometime, let me know. I'm only an hour and a half or so away from there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lovely atlanta then, we complain about our winter, but it may snow once a year every 2 years or so, this year we did have an ice storm, but as far as salt, and all those stuff, not here sorry to here that you guys can ride just up to november. I bought my fz6 on november and well I did ride pretty much the whole winter time, if it drops below 35, do not go out, but 37 and above, well suit up, good to go over here.
Sorry, but the bottom line is LET IT HEAL, GET OFF THE BIKE, TAKE A PICTURE AND PUT IT IN THE GARAGE, TAKE TO A FRIEND OF YOUR HOUSE, YOU WILL BE more than tented so remember take care of that hand, the bike will be there waiting for you, if it gets realy cold and snowy take a trailer haul it and come south for a ride state a while and come back, kinda of vacation.

·
WYPIWYG
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pardon me? I apologize. I have to brush up on my Aussie. I should get a mate to do WHAT to me?

·
Registered
419 Posts
You know........Dink ya!
:nutkick :spank :bananafu:
Just choose the one you like.

:bananafu: <-----(don't know whats wrong with it, but it's the one with both bananas getting it on!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts