Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was mentioned in an earlier post. But how EXACTLY should we go about breaking in the bike so it lasts a very long time and runs smoothly?

·
Registered
584 Posts
main thing is to VARY your RPMs (don't ride at constant speed for too long)

Normally manufacturer suggests riding it soft (under 4000 RPMs) for first 500 miles. I talked to the service people at my dealership and THEY told me not to worry about staying under... as long as I VARY the RPMs.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Yeah I agree with that. I varied my rpms as much as possible...and kept it under 4000 for like 250 miles..and after that, I started beating on it, lightly at first. And as I passed 500 miles, I basically started riding it like I ride it now. Hard at times but usually nice. But I wasn't afraid to open it up...and it runs great right now.

The one thing I would note is, engine braking. If you rev the motor up, don't pull the clutch in early. During break-in...let it coast down in gear. Something about the piston rings, etc don't wear in properly if they climb up the revs, but aren't allowed to pass down them under load as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Filip75 said:
main thing is to VARY your RPMs (don't ride at constant speed for too long)

Normally manufacturer suggests riding it soft (under 4000 RPMs) for first 500 miles. I talked to the service people at my dealership and THEY told me not to worry about staying under... as long as I VARY the RPMs.
It's odd, really. The MOM threatens imminent gloom and doom if you rev too high during break in, but doesn't say anything about varying the RPM's. The shop guys say the important thing is to vary the RPM's and not worry too much about high revs. Then there's this motoman character who says you absolutely must ride the bike like you stole it from the moment you roll out of the dealership or your motor will be an oil-burning slug for the rest of its days. :dunno

Basically, when I add it all up I'm left with the conclusion that break in procedures are about as scientific as voodoo witchcraft and all of the "experts" are picking their favorite pet theory and preaching as if it were gospel. Ya know what? Screw break in... I'm just gonna ride the bike the way I normally would.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Nostradumbass said:
Basically, when I add it all up I'm left with the conclusion that break in procedures are about as scientific as voodoo witchcraft and all of the "experts" are picking their favorite pet theory and preaching as if it were gospel.

That's the smartest thing I've heard in a long time. :dblthumb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts