Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my FZ6 for about 3 months now and have about 600 or so miles on it. From my dealership (people i know well and have dealt with many times), i was never told to break in the bike or the proper way of going about it. I have especially lately been riding fairly hard on it. As far as i know it runs great. I have hit the higher rpms on several occasions. I have also held the 7k rpms for longer than i should have from what i have read. Will thiss effect the longterm of my bike, should i start some kind of break in till 1000 miles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the board!

Generally, it's OK to "ride it like you're going to ride it" during the break in period, some even recommend taking a new bike to the track to break it in. The only things you want to avoid are running at any constant RPM or load for an extended period of time, and don't spend a lot of time in the higher RPM's. What can harm the engine is generating 'hot spots' which comes from running at a constant load or RPM. Motors are pretty much foolproof, and it takes a concentrated effort (or severe negligence) to ruin one, even during the break in period. Until 800-1000 miles, it would be good to mind the above recommendations, but after 600, where you're at, any real damage that would have happened is already done. If you haven't yet changed the oil, I'd highly recommend it, as metal flakes/shavings from the parts seating themselves have likely accumulated. And gritty metal bits don't make for good lubrication :D.

+2cents

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info Dexter. I actually have just noticed i am at 800 miles now. Sunday i will go have the oil changed. I have another question aswell. What exhaust should i look at getting. I am new to the motorcycle market and not sure who is the best. I know some of the b***** names, but not many dont have exhaust available for the fz6. Most that do have the exhaust i no little about.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Aburke27 said:
thanks for the info Dexter. I actually have just noticed i am at 800 miles now. Sunday i will go have the oil changed. I have another question aswell. What exhaust should i look at getting. I am new to the motorcycle market and not sure who is the best. I know some of the b***** names, but not many dont have exhaust available for the fz6. Most that do have the exhaust i no little about.
check out the aftermarket mods thread at the top of the page. Not all listed pipes are available on our side of the pond. To my knowledge, your options are Devil, Lazer Extreme, Arrow, and possibly Wolf. Anyone who has additional info please speak up. I have the devils and love them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts