Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is a repost someone please point me to the right post. Im going to look at a left over 03 R1 on fri with 0 miles and if i get it Im obviously riding. Now this would be my first new bike without any miles and I want to break it in properly. Im sure yamaha says keep it under so many rpms and vary the rpms. But I hear conflicting reports from ppl saying that running high rpms and varying the rpms is better. So which is it? WHats your experiences with this?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd follow exactly what the manufacturer suggests.. They R&D and QA this shit pretty thoroughly and would know whats best for their product better than anyone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Drive real easy for about the first 100 miles, after that it should be all right to go above the specified rpm's for just a second, like in first or second gear when you go to take off. But you should always try to vary your rpm's as well

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there is good reasoning in both ways. Just wish I knew which is best. How has everyone broken in there new bike? Share if you felt the way you did it was the best way to break it in.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
we beat my bf gix like it owed him money. 5 miles. hit redline. changed the oil. the thing pulls 160 hp at the rear wheel w/o smoking or leakng in any way. the bike now has like 12000 miles on it (it is an 03). the r1, we broke in to spec (less than more) b/c we were paranoid. if i could've done it over, i'd've beaten it like a red-headed step child.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts