Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what break-in procedures some of you are using or have used. I just got my FZ6 last Thurs--I LOVE this Bike! The dealer says to keep it under 7K rpm for the first 500 miles and not to hit 10K+ till after 1000. I am finding this EXTREMELY hard to do on a 600 that begs to be wound up.
I have been an auto mechanic and drag racer for 20+ years and have always went with the "break it in like you are going to drive it" theory. Any input, comments, etc..? I am currntly at 320 miles and have mostly kept it under 8K--except for a brief run up to 147 mph and a few (2 or 3) 2nd gear wheelies at about 55mph (a slight slip of the clutch at 10 grand).

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
RTFM (read the f...... manual)

It's spelled out in the book.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
ViperZ said:
I have been an auto mechanic and drag racer for 20+ years and have always went with the "break it in like you are going to drive it" theory.
And what's stopping you from using that theory now??? Just don't red line the thing ... yet anyway :lao
Give it an easy hard brake in. I'd say keepin in under 10k rpm for a while and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Deja-Vu Thread Of The Year

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was mostly just curious what others were doing.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think you should do a few stoppies and try some dirt riding while you're breaking it in too. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never did get the nerve for stoppies, or endos as us "older" folks like to call them! I just can not seem to make it more than a few blocks with the front wheel on the pavement though. I love to wheelie and, so it seems, does my FZ6.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Any input, comments, etc..? I am currntly at 320 miles and have mostly kept it under 8K--except for a brief run up to 147 mph and a few (2 or 3) 2nd gear wheelies at about 55mph (a slight slip of the clutch at 10 grand).
320 miles on the clock and 147 mph?
Don't worry about the break-in, just change your oil.

+1 with 04Fizzer

:lao

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maxxacceleration said:
320 miles on the clock and 147 mph?
Don't worry about the break-in, just change your oil.

+1 with 04Fizzer

:lao
Did that at 250.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
So, why the heck are you asking us how to break it in now for???:lao

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck with your bike.:cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didnt want to know how to do it..just curious how others felt about it.

My theory is, and always will be, ride hard.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Yeah, ride hard, but vary and don't stay in a particular rpm range.
Also, break in must be done with less load to the engine as possible. Refrain from 2 up riding, but go through all the rpm ranges.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used your theory. No problems yet.

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Personally I broke mine in pretty close to what the manual said. But I did kick it up to around 9 grand a couple times and 10 once. about 100 indicated twice for very short periods. only after breaking 400 miles though.

It had an relatively easy childhood, I just spanked it a couple times :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts