Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
I actually break mine in a little harder than that. Mine are driven from the showroom and ridden on day one exactly as they will be ridden on day 40, 100, etc.

Ride it like you hate it!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Don't baby it, ride it like you stole it! Then change the oil and do it again.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I think way too much emphasis is put on the breakin... do whatever you like with it.... BUT the recommendations to take it easy are smart for reasons other than mechanical, so keep that in mind.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Binary Jay said:
I think way too much emphasis is put on the breakin... do whatever you like with it.... BUT the recommendations to take it easy are smart for reasons other than mechanical, so keep that in mind.

Good advice. :dblthumb

I used the "motoman" break in method for both of my bikes. I did follow the rule of varying the rpms for probably the first 1K... don't know if that was overkill or not, but it WAS a pain in the ass!!! :rolleyes I also change the oil within the first 100 miles to get all the garbage out, again around 500, then 1K. After that I go with 2,000 to 2,500 miles between changes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would like to ride my new FZ faster and harder but I still have a lot to learn so its easy going for now. :newbie

I wish someone would do an experiment to end the synthetic debate as far as not using it early in the break in period. Two engines, 1 dino and 1 syn, ride the hell out of them for 1k and break them down and see if the rings seated any better or worse, then again I am an accountant, what the hell do I know about engines except where to put the gas & oil. :cheers

I plan to use the same schedule as Binary Jay with Rotella T syn.

:needpics

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
CheapBastard said:
I wish someone would do an experiment to end the synthetic debate as far as not using it early in the break in period. Two engines, 1 dino and 1 syn, ride the hell out of them for 1k and break them down and see if the rings seated any better or worse,
Here's how I look at it. Synthetic is superior to dino in every way. However, today's dino is not what it used to be... it's much more refined and holds up way better than what was out 30 years ago. Is it true that synthetic is so slick that it doesn't allow rings to seal properly? I don't know. What I do firmly believe is that the dino is of enough quality that there isn't going to be any DAMAGE done to the engine by running with it for the first 6K. So, I stick with it until then, and after that I switch to the syn to hopefully lengthen the vehicle or bike's life in the future when the miles start getting high. My 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I have a schedule? Want to fill me in? :)

CheapBastard said:
I plan to use the same schedule as Binary Jay with Rotella T syn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been babying mine... keeping it at 7k and below. Well... 8-9k a couple times.
bought this about 8 days ago and already put on 550 miles so this weekend I'm going to change the oil and crack this beast open.... I can't wait any longer!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Running full synthetic in a new engine won't hurt a thing and for anyone that says it will, prove it......

Breaking the bike in shouldn't be any different than the way you are going to ride in the normal scheme of things. I wouldn't race it but riding it normal won't hurt a thing; anyone that says it will, prove it......

Hawk

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
I wish I had read this a couple of weeks ago when I got my bike. :bitchslap I'm at 515 miles now and just did 140 freeway miles at 70-90 mph today.. not sure if that's bad or neither here nor there.

I did change my oil tonight (instead of waiting until the whole 600 miles) based on what I read here and on the site. Anyone have any suggestions for ways to get the most bang for the buck with that last 20% of break in the guy was talking about? Lots of varied rpms and closed throttle engine braking? Just ride the damn thing? Etc.?

Well... let the flogging begin.

Feedback welcome.

·
Registered
583 Posts
keep in mind the motoman has a ton of engines laying around
he makes money from them.......so by you running the hell out of it
he will have your engine sooner...........as for breaking it in yamaha
has invested millions in engine research.....should that account for
something...and if it were true wouldnt you be hearing it from other
engine builders....hes the only one ive read about
but i love the excuse to floor it and not feel bad.... :cheers

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
the break-in is not just for the bike, its for the rider as well. its a lot harder for a 16 yr old to f*** himself up if he keeps it below 6K. now, if he is truely a duma$$, he will regardless of where he keeps it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts