Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
John 18:33-37
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about 600 miles ago I put on a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Powers to replace the OEM rubber on my 600RR. These tires have been great - awesome turn-in, great grip, very predictable tires.

So after riding today, I find the head of a nail about 1 inch off-center in the rear tire.:cry

So besides a burn-out session, what the heck can I do except spring for a brand new PP?

·
Up front for a minute!!!!
366 Posts
Where did you buy them from?

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
You should try going to Sensei Performance in Lakeland, they've got good deals on tires!! Do a search on this board you'll find tons of good things about them, as well as their contact information.

·
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm all for using them - I found one of their cards on my bike after one of the Wednesday night get-togethers at BD's Mongolian Grill.

Problem is, it's Friday night and the only place I know of that has this tire and is open on Saturday is the dealership :(

·
www.fixedfocus.us
2,145 Posts
You can plug it, there is probably about a million post of whether thats a good idea or not. I went through 3 pilot power rears in 2 months cause of nails/screws... I got mine at cyclegear with the insurance so it didnt cost me all that much to replace it. On a pratically new tire, I would just plug it, at least its your rear and not the front, I wouldnt plug a front. Buy a plug set and keep it with you in case it comes out on ya....

·
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it might work but can the tire be plugged without removing the wheel from the bike and dismounting the tire?

So far, it looks like $180 for a PP dual compound tire plus mounting - $52. Somehow it feels like I'm the one getting mounted without being kissed . . . .

·
Registered
806 Posts
sorry to hear about the nail Kerry... totally sucks! i've known a few guys to plug their tires and they've had no problems. might give that a shot??

·
Tallahassee Powersports
1,084 Posts
Its not the ideal solution, but I have used the automotive tire plugs before. You can do without taking off the tire. Just keep an eye on it, and check your pressures often. Many people will tell you not to do it. I have a plug in my rear right now, and carry a plug kit with me in my tank bag. Its your choice in the long run. A 'plug-patch' would be even better, but that requires taking the tire off.

·
Up front for a minute!!!!
366 Posts
Did you buy any tire warranty? Ofcourse, I don't know if they even honor their warranties there. If you did, you should have alot of tire left to where you do not have to pay alot if anything at all.

·
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

My other option is to totally replace the set of PP tires on the bike for a set of Pirelli Diablos (in my garage) that I bought last month. Maybe I'll do that and just hold onto the Pilot Powers for a rainy day? It would definitely be less expensive.

I'm just a little reluctant to part with the Michelins because they handle so great! Even with my limited time riding the Wastelands last week, I was able to get bike over far enough to get some wear on the Michelin man's head on the rear tire.

·
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris - I'm not aware of any tire warranty, and I spoke to the sales guy who sold me the tires about my problem. He's a good guy - he sold me the set of PP for 50% off after the sale had expired - plus he helped me spend $100 in the store today. If there were any warranty he would have spoken up.

·
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Guys -

I just got off the phone with Bryan at Sensei Performance. Not only are his prices great, but he even offered to open up shop tonight to get me on the road! How cool is that?

Anyway, I'll be heading over to Sensei tomorrow to get a new PP on the rear and I'll either patch/plug the punctured PP or give it to Darrin since he asked first.

Needless to say, Sensei gets a big thumbs up from me!

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I'm telling ya, Sensei is a good (and cheap) place to get your tires at....

·
It's me
3,066 Posts
As much as I go through tires, I'm definately going to have to keep bryan in mind. wow what good service

Ron

·
Registered
682 Posts
bigkawi said:
fishnride I'm open on Saturdays.I open at 12pm.I can change your pp to the Diablos if needed.I also have the pp,and pp 2ct in stock.My cell is 698-2972 if you needed to talk to me tonite.Let me know Thanks Bryan
How much are those PP 2ct? I wanted those but i got the regular PP and dont even have 150 miles on them. What they run for th e front and back for a gsxr1000 k6?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
fishnride call me tomorow 944 6651 Bryan is the man to hook you up with your tires. I run tires with plugs all the time and have a little secret on plugging so it will never come out and you will never know there was ever a prob.

It's allways good to have backup tires laying around.
ask Ron about how handy my extra tires are.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts