Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup everyone..Names Eric,

Im looking a t getting a bike real soon.
I've been told a 600 is perfect size ,not to get anything b*****.I like th e HOnda 600's and GSX-R 600. I am brand new to bikes.Im not getting this to do 150 down the freeway or to show off doin tricks(at least not yet)
I really want to learn to ride before any of that shit.I dont want to be that new kid who already is a.in the hospital fo rbeing stupid ,or b .wrecked my new bike doin something stupid.
On the bike purchase what bike do you recommend,and do any of you trust used bikes.New or used?

Any help or suggestion is welcome .I hope to be ridding in about 2weeks if i can wait that long.
Fireaxe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Go try em and you'll see what you like, I feel fine on my bike, yet everyone says it's uncomfortable. depends on your size.

You'll probably be told to start small anyway, but do what ya want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say try'em ,as in sit on them ? I have done that,and i like the gsx-600 and the HONDA 600F4I and the RR. Do you think buying a used bike is good or do you only trust a new bike?

·
Registered
52 Posts
for a first time bike, get a used one. save some cash for gear. i have bought a couple of used bikes and have had good luck with them. chances are you will drop it at some point too. get your skills down, take a few riding schools, and then go out and buy whatever bike you like the best.

·
Registered
912 Posts
GO for the used bike. buying a new bike is like throwing $1000 out the window on the way off of the dealership. It may take some time to find a good used bike but they are out there. Also I like suzuki better but i also own a honda.

Suzuki = biggest numbers(hp, tq)
Honda = longest lasting best weighted bikes

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
You're gonna drop your first bike

Those that haven't are lying or have just been lucky......theres always that goof up at a light, the moment of "Jerry Lewis" skills while manuvering it out of the garage, or just downright nervous moments when you mix up your foot and hand coordination long enough to drop it.

Get a small used bike and plenty of gear and learn to ride the piss outta it.

Yeah you'll outgrow it quick but if you start OUT over your head you're gonna learn at a MUCH MUCH MUCH slower rate

·
Registered
912 Posts
600 are fine to start on if you are very carefull. You need to respect and be slightly afraid of your bike. But do take the MSF course. It will help a lot.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Fireaxe said:
I've been told a 600 is perfect size ,not to get anything b*****.I like th e HOnda 600's and GSX-R 600. I am brand new to bikes.
Once again, people's friends feeding them with loads and loads or horse poo. 600 is NOT a perfect size to start on, it's a horrible size to start on, unless you are talking about a early 90's 600, even then, those are trouble too. Go for a USED bike, look into Kawasaki Ninja EX500's. They are great bikes, look good enough, and are cheap and alot of them out there. You are gonna do what you want to do, and if you already have your mind made up I'm not gonna be able to change it. Also, don't use the argument "well I'm gonna go real easy on it until I get comfortable" that's not what causes newbie accidents. Good luck with whatever you get, but take my advice, and get a smaller bike to start with, you will be a much better and more skilled rider in the longrun.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh p.s Mustangs suck!!! :leghump

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
robbieace said:
600 are fine to start on if you are very carefull. You need to respect and be slightly afraid of your bike. But do take the MSF course. It will help a lot.
You should NEVER fear your bike. Fear is a motorcycle riders worst enemy. Fear causes "survival reactions" which cause panic which causes a wreck, especially in a newbie rider.

·
Registered
912 Posts
if you don't fear your bike you be arogent and stupid on your bike. You must respect it's power

·
Registered
498 Posts
And if you don't know what the power is, how can you respect it? Respect in regard to motorcycles is one of the most bullshit terms going. The bike won't respect you back, it won't care. All the respect in the world will not save you from yourself and your ham-handed mistakes on a powerful machine. Mistakes that scared me on my EX250 would have hurt me badly on my FZR600.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
robbieace said:
if you don't fear your bike you be arogent and stupid on your bike. You must respect it's power
Respect and fear are two different things, you said respect, which is correct. Fearing the bike itself will make him afraid to do what's needed in an emergency situation or fear making small corrections.

·
Registered
912 Posts
fireboy81 Why don't you GO ride you stupid little 250 up into the mountains and don't come back so you won't bother anybody any more.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying a newer 600 to start on, or anything that costs more than $2000. My friend bought a brand new 2004 gsxr 600 2 months ago, after riding for a year on a 86' ninja 600. That bike is totally jacked up now. He's already dropped it on both sides. 2500 miles, 2 months old, all jacked up. Makes me cringe each time I see it, and everyone who walks by makes a comment like "what year is that poor bike? 2004?"

Start with and old cheap bike. An early 90s or late 80s 600 will do.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts